Friday, February 6, 2015

Books I'm Embarrassed I Haven't Read Yet

There are books I've had sitting on my shelves or collecting imaginary dust on my kindle for YEARS. YEARS, I tell you. Okay, so I actually haven't owned most of them for years because many of them I didn't find until I started blogging. But still, I've had all of these for a long freaking time! So, why haven't I read them yet? The short answer: no time. The longer answer: I couldn't tell you. Maybe I'm scared of the hype. Maybe I'm just never in the mood. Or maybe I just wanna be a rebel and do my own thang where I read books I want to and not all of the popular ones that everyone else is.

But... I'm still embarrassed I haven't read these books! I keep saying I will, and hell, a few of them are planned buddy reads that I just keep putting off. I mean, sure I don't really have the time for them. But I could make time if I wanted to, ya know? *le sigh* These aren't even the only books; it's just a short list of them!


I honestly think the reason I haven't read this is because I don't wanna get involved in a series that's ongoing. And also it's so hyped, what if I end up not liking it?


Another hyped up book that scares me! I'm also a little tired of series and don't wanna keep up with the long waits.


I thought I would read this one as soon as I got it, but I HAVEN'T YET AND I DON'T KNOW WHY TO BE HONEST.


A YA contemporary that I was so excited about but never actually got around to reading! I think I keep forgetting it's on my desk..


For some reason, I STILL haven't tried a Gayle Forman book! What is wrong with me?


I loved Attachments, but I haven't gotten around to reading more Rainbow Rowell, which is sad. And embarrassing.


DON'T JUDGE ME OKAY.


I really, really need to read this book. For real.


I tried this once, but I wasn't in the mood for it at the time, so I put it back down. But I really want to read a Victoria Schwab book, so why haven't I picked it back up?!


I loved The Young Elites, so this binge-read of the series needs to happen pronto!


I want to watch the movie so badly, but I can't obviously because this is on my list and I haven't read it yet.


So many people have LOVED this book, and I can't believe I haven't read it yet! It sounds like the perfect book for me too.


Basically ALL the Cora Carmack books. I think I have almost every single one of them too. It's so embarrassing.


I've heard this has one of the best male POVs ever, which I love, and it's been sitting on my kindle for the LONGEST time.


I WAS SUPPOSED TO READ THIS LAST MONTH BUT I DIDN'T. I'M SO TERRIBLE.

***

Have you noticed a pattern? Most of these books are very hyped and very popular. And that always makes me wary when it comes to reading them. Hype has killed books for me before, which is what happened with The Fault in Our Stars. And I also just don't want the popularity to be the reason why I'm reading it, ya know? I feel like when I'm letting other people influence my reading, it changes things a little (I'm not talking about recs; I'm talking the general pushing of books onto others, which I love doing btw). I don't know how to explain it; I'm just a weirdo here. An embarrassed weirdo. I clearly have a lot of reading to do, and I'm sure y'all will yell at me in the comments about these books. So here's the deal: invent me something that will give me more time in a day, and I will gladly read these books. Otherwise, they'll happen when they happen, okay? GOOD.


What books are YOU embarrassed about not having read yet? Do you find yourself putting off really hyped up books, or does what other people are saying not matter to you when deciding to read a book?

11 comments:

  1. oh my gosh I just did a post like this! It's actually been making me feel super embarrassed at how long my list is and I really do wwant to read them! I made a point to read one series …well try at least one series a year. Last year I read Vampire Academy and LOVED it. I was not disappointed at all. I ended up loving it so much that I read the first four books last year too! I only have two to go to finish lol.
    Of all your choices, I'd say that you NEED to put on a priority list — The Lightning Thief!!! God, I LOVE Percy Jackson. lol but I haven't read like any of those other books :D

    -Diamond @ Dee's Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I haven't really read any of these. :( What's wrong with us? :( I really want to read The Sea of Tranquility, it's so pretty and it sounds interesting.

    You have to read Eleanor and Park! I thin I may have already told you before, but I'm telling you again. Fangirl and Attachments are on my "Need to eventually read" list too…I started The Book Thief…then put it away because it was so long. This was back in June….

    I totally want to read Legend, The Maze Runner and Open Road Summer (and The Young Elites).

    Ooh! I have Vampire Academy. I really like the covers.

    I'm behind on the hyped up, very popular "Omg it's so amazing" books too. Minus All The Bright Places. And I'll Meet You There.

    I'm embarrassed I haven't read TOG, Fangirl, The Distance Between Us….A ton of others I can't think of right now. I was "lucky" enough to not have discovered the book blogosphere around the time TFIOS came out, I probably would have been disappointed. As it is! I read it the year it came out.

    Popularity is totally a reason I read books. *sighs* Not ALL books, just some books, you know? Like those two I mentioned up there, that I've read "in time" when they're in their "prime".

    So if someone actually invents something that will create more hours in the day, I want in on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm half way through the Winner's Curse and I'm really enjoying it. I definitely recommend it when you get the chance. Throne of Glass is a must-read - it's so good! Legend is great as well - particularly if you liked The Young Elites. A lot of the others on there I haven't read either though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so with you on these! I keep saying I'm going to read The Book Thief(years now) and I still haven't. I want to, but every time I go to pick it up, I decide on something else instead.

    Also, I have yet to read anything by Rainbow Rowell. I hear nothing but amazing things about her books. The one I really want to read is Attachments! It seems like the one I would enjoy the most.

    As for Vampire Academy, I DID read that one, and ended up really loving it. It's very addicting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are quite a few on this list that I've actually read - Open Road Summer, Fangirl, Eleanor & Park, Losing It, If I Stay, and The Book Thief. The rest... well not so much. A few of them are on my TBR, but I also worry about if I'll end up liking them or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read some of these. The Legend trilogy is one of my favorites. You should definitely try them out. I tried Throne of Glass but just couldn't get into it. Same with The Maze Runner. I'm always worried about trying out lots of books with so much hype. I just like to read books that I'm really interested in at the time and try not to let the hype pressure me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What?! Go. Just go. Haha just kidding. But Throne of Glass is perfection and you MUST read it. If you're looking for hardcore dystopian then Legend is your book. Open Road Summer and Rainbow Rowell books are ones I have yet to read as well. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. The Winner's Curse has beautiful writing and smoldering romance. *fans self* The Book Thief is amazing. Thought-provoking and cry-worthy. Save it for the perfect time ;) Some great books in here, chop chop hun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read most of these either. Throne of Glass I kind of feel the same way about- it is such a long series! 3 or 4 books I can do, but 6 or whatever? Eh. I am nervous because I got SO sick of TMI, so I am a little wary of another long series.

    I haven't read ANY Rainbow Rowell books yet, despite owning every single one. Yep, if she's written it, I own and haven;t read it. It's ridiculous really. I don't have any plans to read the Percy Jackson books ever, just doesn't seem like my "thing". Or Vampire Academy.

    The Winner's Curse was good, but not "OMG" good. I hear The Winner's Crime is better though, so we'll see. Legend: again, good, but not spectacular. Same with Maze Runner. If I Stay was really good, but Where She Went was even better!

    I need to read The Archived and The Book Thief ASAP myself.

    Oh, and I cannot take the book with the strange man's gross armpit hair seriously. Cannot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. EXCUSE ME WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE READING TWC AND ToG DO NOT BACK OUT ON ME NOW. AND I SWEAR IF YOU DO NOT READ THE BOOK THIEF I WILL SMUSH THE CAKE I'M BRINGING IN YOUR FACE. OK?

    No but seriously. That's all I asked. But I really want to read Throne of Glass :( DO I HAVE TO READ IT WITHOUT YOU??? We can have a discussion review and everything! THINK OF THE FUN.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read quite a few of these, but I'm with you on Throne of Glass and The Lightning Thief!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lot of books here, but a lot of them I am also ashamed of having not read as well! You should really read The Maze Runner, Percy Jackson and also The Book Thief - they are all brilliant books! I really need to read Cinder, that is one of those I am most embarrassed about! And Throne of Glass ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3