Monday, March 9, 2015

I Don't Know About You But I'm Feeling 22

HEY GUYS, GUESS WHAT, IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!!! Also, do you know how long I've been waiting to use that title? I'm pretty sure I'm going to be singing this song all day long, so my apologies if you hate Taylor Swift (I'm looking at you, Kaitlin). Yeah, so in case you didn't figure it out, I turned 22 today! Man, I'm so old. Ha. Actually, I don't feel any different. Also, this is like one of my favorite numbers (hence my Twitter and Instagram username), so I think it's kind of perfect.

So, what am I doing for my birthday? Not exactly much. My mom's taking me out to dinner at one of my favorite Italian places, and we're gonna do a little shopping. Since I'm going to New York in May, all of my money is being put toward that, so it's gonna be a simple birthday. Nothing extravagant (not like it ever is anyway) but that's okay with me. NY is so, so worth it. BEA and meeting blogging friends is worth it. But I'm definitely going to splurge on a couple of books. :)

In honor of my birthday, I thought it'd be fun to do a little post about myself in-between my March Madness event. So I wanted to share 23 things I hope to accomplish before I'm 23. I was inspired to do this by Cait @ Paper Fury (who did something similar for her birthday) and I thought it'd be a different and cool thing to do for my birthday. And I love making "bucket lists" like this. :)

***

1. Graduate with a Bachelor's Degree. This WILL happen by the time 2015 ends! I'll be having a December graduation (which sucks cause winter and snow and Michigan cold, but I want to be done already). It's exciting but also daunting!

2. Successfully travel by myself alone. To get to NY, I have to take a bus. BY MYSELF. I have never done something like this before, and I'm scared as hell. But this will be a hugely independent step for me.

3. Finish writing a book. I have NEVER done this yet! But it WILL happen before I turn 23. I will hit "the end" and know what it's like to finish a story I've poured my heart and soul into.

4. Watch Friends from beginning to end. Don't judge me, okay? I've never actually finished the show, but I WILL. Someday.

5. Don't plan something before doing it. I just need to do something spontaneous without thought, without weighing the pros and cons.

6. Drink alcohol in a bar. I don't really drink, but I feel like this is a rite-of-passage or whatever. Also, at least then I could say that I've done it.

7. Meet blogging friends. Obviously, since I'm going to BEA, I'm gonna meet people. But I also want to push myself to be more open and social and not let my shyness ruin this experience.

8. Attend ALA in January. THIS. IS. HAPPENING! Val's house, Boston, and meeting Amber in real life = the perfect mini vacation.

9. Go to another author event. You know, I would do this more often if more authors came to Michigan! I did miss out on some amazing ones last year because of location, but I don't want that to stop me anymore!

10. Drive on the freeway. I haven't done this since driver's training (one of the most nerve-wracking moments of my life), but I feel like I should probably do it again. You know, to build driving experience.

11. Challenge myself to just be more open and comfortable in my own skin. I'm not a confident person, and I'm so very shy. I want to push myself a lot this year and step outside of my comfort zone and just figure out who I really want to be. :)


...and yeah, I'm totally stopping here because I quite honestly can't think of anything else. I'll keep adding to this, but for now, I think it's a pretty damn good start. And hey, maybe I'll actually get these done before I turn 23! Haha. So yeah, I'm not exactly feeling 22 right now but it'll probably hit me soon. But I'm definitely going to be blasting T Swift's song all day long, because I only turn 22 once, right? :P

Tomorrow, March Madness will start up again with a character interview! I hope you guys are enjoying this event as much as I enjoyed putting it together. And the giveaways are still open for a few weeks, so make sure you enter! :)

18 comments:

  1. ALL OF THESE ARE ON MY LIST TOO

    Wait. HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOU NUGGET YOU. Look at you. SO OLD

    (Wahhh my dad is trying to convince my mom to sell the house, so I'm not so sure about ALA anymore gah. He just told me today so he told me not to rely on that. But I am doubtful because my mom refuses to retire to Florida. Like flat out refuses. So we'll see. 50/50 chance yes? I mean I'll know by the summer for sure)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SHANKS VAL.

      (also, this still makes me sad to read).

      Delete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Have a great day!!! And maybe I'll see you at BEA...I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! And yes, that would be awesome. I can't wait for it either! :)

      Delete
  3. HOLLY, YOU'RE SO YOUNG! xD

    I imagine you've been waiting a couple years to use that lyric for a while. Haha. Oh gosh, my sister was singing that song on my birthday before. Haha. I'm not a huge fan of Taylor Swift, but I'll forgive you. ;) I'm not sure when you actually start to "feel" different with age. I know I've felt like I was sixteen since I ever started getting older. And yes, your Twitter and instagram username are now perfect.

    I HEAR YOU TALK ABOUT BEA, AND IT HURTS, BUT SINCE IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY, I WILL LET THIS SLIDE AS WELL.

    Anyway, aw, it sounds like your birthday will be really nice and low-key. I hope you have fun. Books books books.

    Yay, on to the list!

    Yay for graduating! Winter and snow suck.

    I need to watch Friends too! Yay for being decades behind everyone else. Haha

    I drank alcohol in a strip club in the bar section, does that count?

    Blogging friends<3

    IT IS HAPPENING AND I'M SO EXCITED EXCEPT WE….KIND OF HAVE TO SECOND-THINK OUR PLANS. YAYAYAY, WE'RE GOING TO MEET.

    No one ever comes to Kansas either for author events. :(

    Forgive me, I have no idea what a freeway is, yes I am 23, yes I am aware this is sad and no, I don't know how to drive.

    Definitely be more confident<3 You're sarcastic so you've got that going for you! Always a plus. Ha.

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHOA AMBER. HEHE. I LOVE YOUR LONG COMMENTS. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  4. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! <3 I hope you accomplish everything you want to, I'm sure if you set your mind to it everything will work out :)

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/review-roses-by-g-r-mannering.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw Happy Birthday Holly! I love your bucket list too! I'm with Anna, I hope you accomplish all of these things! I'm sure you will- just stick to it and don't back down, even if it seems scary! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! We need to talk. You haven't watched all of Friends!??! I don't understand. I mean... nope.

    And how do you not drive on the freeway!? How do you get to places?! And YAY for BEA! That is of course your most important goal, because me. OH, and then we can scratch the bar off your list too ;)

    Hope you are having an AMAZING day!! I shall keep guessing about tomorrow's post now!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO. I HAVEN'T. AND I SAID DON'T JUDGE ME.

      I get to places without having to drive on the big scary roads, okay? THANKS SHANNON!! :)

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! <3
    So, I'm 25 and I still haven't gotten a drink at a bar LOL. It's so not my thing, but I'm hoping to branch out myself more this year. Hopefully we can both so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, LOVE!! <3 We will get that drink in a bar. Someday. :)

      Delete
  8. Happy belated birthday, Holly! I'm sorry I missed it. I love the goals you've set for yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay, Erin! And thank you. :)

      Delete
  9. Awesome goals, hun!! You can do it :D Happy belated birthday once again <33

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3