Tuesday, March 24, 2015

March Madness: Captive by Brighton Walsh

Yay, I'm SO excited about this March Madness post! Today I have the lovely Brighton Walsh on the blog giving me an elevator pitch, sharing the inspiration behind the story, and talking about her newest book and its characters. This woman is one of my favorite authors, and I cannot wait for ya'll to read to read Captive! :)

MEET THE BOOK!

Hi Brighton! Welcome to The Fox’s Hideaway! I’m so glad you could stop by.

Me too! Thanks for inviting me!


Describe Captive in a single tweet.

Fair warning: I am the worst at these. Normally when someone asks me my elevator pitch, I stare blankly while opening and closing my mouth with no sounds coming out. 

A sheltered college student is kidnapped and held captive by an intense and secretive man. While in seclusion, they begin to fall in love.


(Sorry not sorry I made you do that? :P) Where did the idea for this story come from?
My editor at St. Martin’s Press actually approached me with it after reading Caged in Winter. I had the hook (basically the tweet above), and a brief idea of each character (though those both changed drastically from the initial suggestions), and that was it. I needed to create the plot and fill in the characters. She gave me a pencil outline; I had to make it a painting.


Are you worried how people will react to the kidnapping story-line and the romance between captor/captive? (Side-note: I know it might make people wary of reading it, but I hope they do. I loved how it wasn’t a typical captor/captive story, and I think people will really enjoy that).

Thank you for that! I’ve been really happy with the early reviews that have expressed the same sentiment. I was worried at first, definitely. Truth circle: I was nervous that I wouldn’t be able to write this, because dark romance isn’t my thing. But, while this is darker than anything I’ve ever written, I wouldn’t call this a dark romance. When I was about 75% through writing it, I freaked out, because I couldn’t see why Maddie would fall in love with Ghost, and if I couldn’t believe it, how could the readers? But after a talk with my agent and a few tweaks to Ghost’s character, I was able to get on board with everything. I think I was able to do a kidnapping story in a way that’s realistic and also allows for redemption for Ghost.


What do you hope people take away from this book?

It’s never too late to start over and live the life you want to live.


And of course, we have to talk about the characters. What are three qualities that Madison possesses? Ghost?

Madison: loyal, trusting, resilient
Ghost: assertive, skeptical, protective


Most important: Will we ever learn Ghost’s real name?

Ghost’s real name is in the book, yes. I’ve actually been happy that most of the reviewers have kept this out of their reviews (thank you!), because I do think it’s a poignant part in the book, and I think it packs a bigger punch when you don’t know what it is beforehand.

There’s actually something that involves his real and his street name in the book, and I’m waiting for the first person to mention it to me. (I wrote this earlier, and then I had three bloggers mention it to me and I was SO HAPPY! It’s a tiny detail, but it’s an important detail. I’m so glad people are noticing it.)


Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and answering my questions, Brighton! :)

Thanks for having me!

*****

Guys, tomorrow is my LAST March Madness post! And, not gonna lie, I'm a little sad about it! So we'll have our last author stopping by tomorrow (and you'll want to check out this post and giveaway), and then on Thursday will be a wrap-up of the event and maybe a little surprise. ;)

5 comments:

  1. Ooooh, this sounds really good! I have been seeing a few reviews here and there, but the message that it's never too late? That really speaks to me, and I confess, brought a tear to my eye. I need that message in my life, and I will be reading this for sure. Thanks so much for sharing, Holly and Brighton!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read Captive! Brighton is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I would really like this one. I love that message and the two main characters sound great. I haven't read anything by this author, but I definitely have my eye on her books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I'm really intrigued about this story. Thank you for sharing Captive with me! I'm hoping I get the chance to read it now! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3