Monday, March 2, 2015

March Madness: Charisma by Jeanne Ryan

For today's March Madness stop, I have the lovely Jeanne Ryan here talking about her book Charisma, drugs, and lab bunnies. :)

MEET THE BOOK!

Hi Jeanne! Welcome to The Fox’s Hideaway! I’m so glad you could stop by.

Me too! Thanks for having me.


Describe Charisma in a single tweet.

Super shy girl takes super shady DNA-altering drug to become super shiny. It works, but might also kill her. 


Where did the idea for this story come from?

A multitude of sources, including a trip overseas that had me obsessing over viruses, all morphed into the final story line. But one peek at your TV or social media will show that charisma is a valuable commodity that I believe many would take huge risks to acquire.


Okay, I HAVE to ask about the cover. What is with the rabbits (bunnies?), especially that lonely pink one in the middle?

I love the cover! Kudos go to Danielle Calotta, who designed it. Although there are no bunnies mentioned in the story, other less-fluffy lab animals are. In fact, the main character is a lab animal of sorts. But bunnies are the cutest, and the pink one is about standing out from the crowd.


Describe your main character, Aislyn, in six words or less.

Brainy introvert unaware of her potential.


What is her main mission in the book?

At first, it’s to break free from her inhibitions so that she can lead a full life and advocate for her seriously ill brother. However, once she realizes how dangerous Charisma is, her goal is to survive and find a cure.


I am a very shy person in real life, so I’m really intrigued by this drug that is supposed to change that. So if you were trying to sell this drug to me (hypothetically speaking, of course), what would your hook or tagline be?

Hey, Holly, what’s your dearest dream, and what’s stopping you? Nothing a rockstar personality couldn’t help with, I’ll bet. Now, imagine the trajectory your life could take if you approached everything with boldness and had the power to influence whomever you wanted. That dream sounds a whole lot closer, doesn’t it? Just one teensy dose, as quick as a flu shot, and your future expands—pow!


(Wow, I might just have to try it now). And lastly, what do you hope people take away from your book?

Mostly that they have a fun time reading it. But if got them talking about the ethics of genetic enhancement, which will be a real thing one day, so much the better.


Thank you so much for stopping by the blog and answering my questions, Jeanne!☺ 

My pleasure! (BTW, have you decided to try a dose of Charisma yet?)


I might have, uh, tried a dose I'm still unsure!

*****

And thanks to Jeanne, I have a giveaway for you guys! One lucky winner will receive an ARC of Charisma! This is, unfortunately, US only. Please be sure to read my policy here and enter appropriately. Good luck! :)

13 comments:

  1. YAY, I knew I was right ;) I am really excited for this book! It sounds so unique and honestly, I would probably be first in line for this drug (which would, you know, end up being my downfall!) Great interview, and thanks for the chance to win ;)
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound really unique! And haha, I KNEW you would try the drug (so would I, maybe). But then it would definitely be our downfalls. Ha. :)

      Delete
  2. Yay for Shannon being right. Ahhh, THIS BOOK SOUND SO COOL. I am totally all about futuristic devices/technology/mind-altering stuff that doesn't exist yet but totally could. I am so into this book. I love shy introverted characters and I love that she wants to find a cure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would probably really like this book then, Amber!! It sounds like your cup of tea.

      Delete
  3. Holly, do NOT listen to Jeanne. Do not let her make you take a dose of Charisma. Trust me . . . you would regret it.

    Anyway, this book is REALLY good. The concept of Charisma is a fascinating one and the main character grows so much. I definitely recommend it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DON'T RUIN THIS FOR ME, KAITLIN.

      Yessss, I'm so glad to hear that! :)

      Delete
  4. Would I take a dose of charisma? Aha no I'm good haha! Super excited to read this book! Fingers crossed to win the giveaway!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, you're probably making the best choice. :P

      Delete
  5. YES I WOULD TRY A DOSE I mean why not. Life is short. Ha. That's probably not a good mindset

    BUNNIES aww there are no bunnies in the book sadness. BUT IT STILL SOUNDS COOL. I am also shy and introverted...sometimes, and. and. I don't know where I was going with this. I'll keep my eye out for this book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it bad that I want to turn a bunny pink now? That IS bad...

      Delete
    2. You would, Val. And Shannon, lmao let's do that in NY, kay?

      Delete
  6. I think my younger self would have, but I'm good with being shy now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3