Wednesday, March 4, 2015

March Madness: Infandous by Elana K. Arnold

For today's stop, I have the awesome Elana Arnold on the blog talking about her book Infandous, the main character, and her author inspirations. :)

MEET THE BOOK!


Hi Elana! Welcome to The Fox’s Hideaway!

For everyone unfamiliar with your newest book, can you tell us a little bit about Infandous?

INFANDOUS is a real word, meaning that which is too terrible to be spoken of aloud. Sephora Golding has done something that she can’t tell anyone about—not her best friend Marissa, not even her mother, Rebecca. Instead, Seph channels her focus into her work as a found object artist in her hometown of Venice Beach, California, surfing, and rehashing fairy tales and mythology—not the sanitized versions.


Where did the idea for this story come from?

I started with the idea of an artist who had the most beautiful mother in the world, fairy-tale beautiful. But very quickly as I worked, it occurred to me that Seph had a secret. Even I didn’t know what it was for a long time.


Describe your main character, Sephora, in six words or less.

Angry, intense, loyal, brave. 


Who message do you hope people take away from your book?

I don’t set out to write books with messages, but as a feminist, I’m sure my beliefs seep into everything I write.


Who are some of your author inspirations?

Margo Lanagan (TENDER LITTLE MORESELS), Phillip Pullman (HIS DARK MATERIALS TRILOGY), John Irving (A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY), Cheryl Strayed (TINY BEAUTIFUL THINGS).


Thank you so much for stopping by the blog and answering my questions! :)

******

Check back tomorrow for a spooky top ten list. :)

8 comments:

  1. BOOM! 3 for 3! And Seph's secret is.... whoa. Just an FYI ;)
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like whoa. And this sounds insanely weird. I like weird, too.

      Delete
  2. I actually haven't heard of this! I'm intrigued by how the fairy tales and mythology would fit into the book. Hmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! We need to read this to find out.

      Delete
  3. Has Shannon already read this? She probably has. This sounds like an awesome book though, I'll be on the look out! And yay for feminism! I love it when it seeps into books I read ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEP, she has! It is INSANE. I am posting my review next week and holy crap, I don't even know what to say about what happens in this book!

      Delete
    2. hmm, I missed your review! I am very intrigued by this book now.

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3