Thursday, March 19, 2015

March Madness: The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows

The end is nigh for this event, but not today! Today I have Jodi Meadows on the blog with a guest post on the one reason people should read fantasy. :)

MEET THE BOOK!

One Reason to Read Fantasy
One of the most interesting things about fantasy and science fiction, I've always felt, is its ability to provide a new lens for our world. 

STAR TREK is a classic example. In the show, the characters visit different planets and observe their cultures, the way they interact, how they accept outsiders, how they treat one another. A lot of times, the crew encountered problems our society struggles with, like racism, classism, sexism, and other issues that end with -ism. The show gave the viewers a way to see real-world issues from an external point of view.


My own story, THE ORPHAN QUEEN, takes a sideways look at environmental issues and the way people deal with them (or don't deal with them). For centuries, magic is what drove industry in Wilhelmina's world. People used magic for everything, the same way we use technology. But what they weren't paying attention to was wraith, the toxic byproduct of magic. By the time anyone noticed that wraith was beginning to smother and change the land, it was too late: kingdoms were falling, people were dying, and the world was sliding into a slow-motion apocalypse. 


The story starts at the end of that apocalypse, when there are only a few kingdoms left in the world. The people living during the time of THE ORPHAN QUEEN are forced to make decisions regarding the world they've been left with, particularly the main characters, who all have some sort of future responsibility.


I don't offer any answers for the real-life problems -- that's not what I'm here for -- but if we can examine them from the safety of fiction, perhaps we all can take the steps to make a better world for the future.



Thanks so much for stopping by, Jodi! I loved this, and fantasy's my favorite genre. :)

*****

Come back tomorrow for an interview with the author of a YA mystery coming out at the end of the month! There will also be a giveaway. ;)

14 comments:

  1. Yay Orphan Queen! I've heard about this one a lot! It's interesting to see a fantasy apocalyptic genre! :)

    Awesome post Holly and Jodi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won this book, so I'm just waiting for it to get here! I'm excited to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, that's so awesome! When you get the chance to read it, I hope you love it! :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome interview! This opens up the book even more to me and was very interesting. I LOVE The Orphan Queen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear you love it! I can't wait to read it. :)

      Delete
  4. I love this interview! I cannot wait to read Orphan Queen, especially because it is set after an apocalypse!? I did not know this, and now I am extra excited. I really think that is an amazing way of looking at fantasy too- and it is really true! Fantastic post, thanks for sharing it!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it just sound freaking awesome? Gah, must read this book! :)

      Delete
  5. Environmentalism and magic? Sounds like an amazing combination! A great entry from the author -- makes me want to read it even more than I did before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read Jodi's Incarnate series yet but I'm really excited to read The Orphan Queen. It just sounds like something I would really enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hoping to read this book from your March Madness! Loved your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm dying to get my hands on this book!! Love the Incarnate trilogy so much and judging by all the reviews I've read, this one sounds just as amazing! I'm really looking forward to read how the after-apocalypse fantasy setting is played out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. interesting about environmental issues

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it when books examines real-life problems in a brand new world! It makes it so much more interesting to read. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3