Friday, March 6, 2015

March Madness: The Wrong Side of Right by Jenn Marie Thorne

For today's March Madness, I have the wonderful Jenn Marie Thorne on the blog talking about her book The Wrong Side of Right, how it feels to be a debut author, and what kind of advice she'd give to newcomers. Also, there is a mini teaser from the book! :)

MEET THE BOOK!
(ignore the misspelled word, I didn't want to take the time to redo it).


Hi Jenn and welcome to The Fox’s HideawayWhy don’t you start by telling us a little bit about your book?

The Wrong Side of Right is about a recently orphaned teen who learns from a pack of reporters that the Republican candidate for president is the father she never knew she had. When she’s invited along on the campaign trail as part of an attempt at damage control, she jumps at the opportunity to get to know her new family. Complications ensue, including a boy she shouldn’t be flirting with and an issue she shouldn’t take a stand on.


I love contemporary novels, and I can’t wait for The Wrong Side of Right! Where did the inspiration for this story come from?


There were a few steady months where the news was full of stories about political sex scandals. Listening to NPR one day, it finally hit me that the reports were all about political fallout—sometimes about the mistresses or how the spouses were affected, but never about the children who were born from these affairs. I wondered what it would be like for a teenager to be thrust into the spotlight in such a way—especially someone vulnerable, already questioning her place in the world. The story kind of unfolded from there.


Describe your main character, Kate, in six words or less.


Wounded, witty, careful, courageous, diplomatic, self-effacing.


What message do you hope people take away from your book? 


Trying to become the person others want you to be is a losing game.


How does it feel being a debut author? Are you nervous/excited/scared about your book being out in the world?


I was cool as a cucumber until a few weeks ago and now I feel like my neuroses are kicking into gear. I’m thrilled that the book will be in the world. It still feels very surreal. But when I was acting, I used to have dreams where I was nominated for a big award or going to my film’s premiere—but over the course of the dream, I’d realize that I had no memories of ever shooting the film and it would dawn on me that it wasn’t really happening.  I sort of feel like that now, like I’m waiting for reality to kick in. But this is reality, which is awesome!


What was your journey to becoming published like?


It was pretty circuitous until I buckled down and decided I was an author. Once I left acting for good and didn’t look back, I wrote an MG fantasy and queried it without success. Then I realized I had no idea how to query and that my book, although fun, was a derivative amalgam of every other MG ever written. So I educated myself a bit better. Then I wrote a YA sort of spec-western that got my wonderful agent, Katelyn Detweiler’s attention. She sent me a lovely revision letter and I sent her a thank you email and an, “Oh, by the way, I also have this contemporary,” which is the book that became The Wrong Side of Right. 


What advice would you give newcomers and aspiring authors?


Write every day like it’s your job, and eventually it will become your job. Cherish the time you spend in the “aspiring” category—it’ll teach you the fundamentals of how you like to work before there are deadlines and other pressures complicating matters.


What are you working on right now?


I’m between drafts of a companion novel to The Wrong Side of Right that looks at politics from a different angle, with a very different, livewire, loose cannon protagonist. 


Oh, that sounds awesome. Can we get a little teaser from The Wrong Side of Right?


“You’re . . .”

He extended a hand and I shook numbly. “Andy Lawrence. Nice to finally meet you, Kate Quinn.” Before I could close my slack jaw, he shot me a wink and leaned in to whisper. “We’d better not talk too long. They’re already staring.”
He was right. As he strolled off whistling something that sounded suspiciously like “Hail to the Chief,” I saw eyes all over the room travel between us. Us—the children of the two men competing for the office of President of the United States, chatting away. At a bar.


Thank you so much for stopping by the blog and answering my questions, Jenn! :)


*****

This sounds SO GOOD and you know how much I love contemporaries! Check back on MONDAY for a fun birthday post from yours truly. (It's a break from this event, but it was needed for REASONS, okay?) And then Tuesday we'll have another March Madness author stopping by. A little hint: the book releases that day! :)

14 comments:

  1. Ding ding ding, right again! I am kind of amazing at this. (Except for yesterday. Let's pretend that didn't happen. I was busy inventing Shreg.)
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I won this book on Goodreads, and am excited to read it!

      Delete
    2. Shreg. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

      Also, yay! I hope you love it, Shannon! :)

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to finally read The Wrong Side of Right, this is one of my most awaited releases this year. I've never read a book about politicians and now that I know the author is working on a novel about a similar theme I'm even more excited! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been one of my highly anticipated releases too! It just sounds so freaking good. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh yay! I can't wait to read this one! It sounds so good! And I adore the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it sound good? And such a lovely cover! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm looking forward to this one! Sounds very different, and though I usually don't like political books, the summary + the cover are pulling me in. Plus, swoony teaser alert!
    Thanks for sharing, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say I don't usually like political books, but I don't think I've read enough to even say that? I definitely want to read this one though! It sounds so good and swoony. :)

      Delete
  5. Ooh! This sounds like something that I would love reading! I love that teaser. I really want to get to know the two characters. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like my kind of book too! :)

      Delete
  6. I didn't comment!? Why haven't I commented before tonight? I've been so excited for this book. I just loveee the political aspect it has and that cover. That cover is gorgeous! It sounds so good. I love how she got the inspiration, politics is definitely always around and I've never seen a book where politics take such a focus. Can I just say I want this companion novel now? I want this companion novel now. I hope it comes out relatively soon (before 2018 please<3).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited for this book too!! It sounds awesome, even though I don't usually like books with politics in it. And yes, I want the companion ASAP now. :)

      Delete
  7. interesting inspiration

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3