Saturday, March 28, 2015

Review of Becoming Rain

Title: Becoming Rain (Burying Water, #2)
Author: K.A. Tucker
Publisher: Atria Books
Release Date: March 3rd, 2015!
*eARC kindly provided by Atria via NetGalley*

From Goodreads...
Luke Boone doesn't know exactly what his uncle Rust is involved in but he wants in on it-the cars, the money, the women. And it looks like he's finally getting his wish. When Rust hands him the managerial keys to the garage, they come with a second set—one that opens up the door to tons of cash and opportunity. Though it's not exactly legal, Luke's never been one to worry about that sort of thing. Especially when it puts him behind the wheel of a Porsche 911 and onto the radar of gorgeous socialite named Rain.

Clara Bertelli is at the top of her game—at only twenty-six years old, she's one of the most successful undercover officers in the Washington D.C. major crime unit, and she's just been handed a case that could catapult her career and expose one of the west coast's most notorious car theft rings. But, in order to do it, she'll need to go deep undercover as Rain Martines. Her target? The twenty-four-year old nephew of a key player who appears ready to follow in his uncle's footsteps.

As Clara drifts deeper into the luxurious lifestyle of Rain, and further into the arms of her very attractive and charming target, the lines between right and wrong start to blur, making her wonder if she'll be able to leave it all behind. Or if she'll even want to.


My Review!
*Slight spoilers if you haven't read Burying Water.

I will basically forever read K.A. Tucker's books. I don't care what it's about, I will read it! I loved the first book in this series, Burying Water, so much. I was a little wary of Luke Boone as a character, but I couldn't wait to read this one. And even though I didn't love it as much as the first, I still really enjoyed it!

Luke Boone, pretty rich boy with an arrogant countenance, is more than he seems. He's actually a genuinely good guy. He has an adorable relationship with his bulldog, he kept Jesse and Water a secret, and he has a weakness for damsels in distresses. He's just caught up in his uncle's business, and I can totally understand why. It's a glamorous lifestyle, and his uncle Rust has taken care of him since he was a little boy so he feels protected and all he wants is the guy's approval. But as he slides deeper into Rust's illegitimate business, he starts to spiral. He starts to wonder if this is what he really wants, thoughts that just confirm that Luke has a moral compass. He is a flawed character; he's not perfect. But he had such wonderful growth throughout the story, and I loved his journey to finding redemption and a life that he can call honorable.


Clara "Rain" Bertelli is an undercover cop who is on the fast-track to becoming FBI. And this is her ticket in. Seduce Luke Boone, infiltrate his uncle's network, and bring them down. All without crossing the line (the sex line). Forget losing her heart to a guy she starts to realize is more than he seems. Clara was a tough girl, one who prided herself on her work and her skills. That is all called into question when she starts to fall for the man she's watching. Clara has to fight her feelings and still do her job, and that's where the lines start to cross and everything is called into question. I thought she handled it the best she could, and I adored her.


This book is the epitome of the saying, "there is more to someone than meets the eye." The two main characters are both hiding behind masks, and it takes each other to look past them and find the person underneath. With each other, there is no "faking it" and putting on a facade. I loved the slow development of their relationship, even knowing that Clara was playing him. What was between them was more honest than what came out of their mouths. The romance was developed wonderfully and very steamy!


There were many, many secondary characters! But all of them were very developed, and so were their relationships with Clara and Boone. I loved the cameos with Water and Jesse. I adore them so much. I also really liked how the "villains" were richly developed. Rust, and a few others who show up that would be spoilerific if I said anything. None of the characters in this book are perfect, and I loved that questions of morality played a part in everything. It made everyone seem more real.

The plot was definitely a romantic suspense one, as it had strong elements of the "mystery" and the romance. I loved that it was balanced and that the relationship was developed around it all. I'd say the weak point was everything leading up to the ending. It felt very rushed, and I thought it all ended too perfectly. But I adored the epilogue, and one part of it has me extremely excited for Chasing River because I have a feeling I know who is going to be the star role in that book and I can't wait!

Although not my favorite of the series, Becoming Rain was such a good book! With imperfect characters, morality issues, and a story-line of pretending to be someone you're not, it was full of great banter, a sizzling romance, and people who have a lot of secrets. :)


RATING:
4 Paw Prints!

2 comments:

  1. I really like the plot of Becoming Rain and I want to read it. As I saw on Goodreads, this book is part of Burying Water series. But, reading the plot of the first two books, they don't seem to be connected in any way. So, do I need to read the first book or can I straight away jump to this book?
    By the way, nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are LOOSELY connected. There are few scenes in this book that will spoil you for Burying Water, so I would honestly suggest reading that one first. Unless you don't care to know a *little* bit about what happens in the first book. But other than those, it's very much about the two characters in Becoming Rain. I hope that helps! :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3