Tuesday, April 14, 2015

10 Underrated YA Standalone Novels

I meant to post this last week, but I just didn't feel like pushing to write posts (because when I do that, it feels more like work than fun). But I'm back with another underrated list for y'all! If you're wondering why I'm talking about lists, here is the first post and why I decided to debunk BuzzFeed's article. And this time, I'm doing it with YA standalone novels!

I thought I would have more, but apparently not. I read from a wide range of genres and categories, and sadly, YA is not the most popular one for me. So I don't have many for you down below, but of these, they are ones I really loved and would recommend to anyone who enjoys YA books that aren't part of a series. :)

*these are all under 10,000 ratings on Goodreads*


1. The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu
This book was short but packed a powerful punch! It's one of the most realistic novels I've read set in high school, and the teen voices are very genuine.

2. Damsel Distressed by Kelsey Macke
This book doesn't have your typical female MC, which I looooved. And it was a very emotional and wonderful story about mental illness and not letting yourself be defined by it.

3. Of Scars and Stardust by Andrea Hannah
Oh gosh, this book was twisted and threw out so many surprises. And I loved that it had an unreliable narrator.

4. Salt and Storm by Kendall Kulper
I really, really enjoyed this book! I thought it was very unique, and it was A LOT darker and more grim than I thought it would be. But that element was perfect for the story. (There is a prequel novella, but this by itself, is a standalone--at least I think so).

5. The Art of Lainey by Paula Stokes
One word: MICHAAAAAAH. <3

6. Stitching Snow by R.C. Lewis
I thought this was such a fun, adorable story! It had a banter-filled romance, and a kickass heroine!

7. Of Beast and Beauty and Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay
I love, love, love Stacey Jay's books and I think she's such an underrated author! Her two fantasy novels above are especially awesome.

8. Play On by Michelle Smith
This book was AMAZING! It was everything I never knew I wanted in a story. It's not going to hit people as hard as me, but I think everyone should read this! (I know it's not even out yet, but whatever). <3

9. Open Road Summer by Emery Lord
Okay, I FINALLY read this book last weekend, and I loved it! I had a huge problem with the slut-shaming, and the MC wasn't exactly the best person in the world. But there was a wonderful journey here. :)

Bonus: Oh, and I want to add this MG book on the list! Even though I'm not a fan of the genre, I really enjoyed this one! It was gorgeous and a lot darker than I thought it would be.

*****

So, what are some of YOUR favorite YA standalones? I want recommendations! :)

8 comments:

  1. Yes to The Truth About Alice, Damsel Distressed, and Open Road Summer. I loved all of those, but I didn't know that Open Road Summer had less than 10,000 reviews on Goodreads. I thought it was more than that. (You can tell I never pay attention to stats.)

    I'll have to read some of these other ones, especially Princess of Thorns. That one has been on my list for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fail, because I have only read one of these (Of Scars and Stardust). BUT, I agree, more people should read it for sure! And I will be reading Play On, of course! And Salt & Storm is a book that I own! (As is The Truth About Alice, and The Art of Lainey, for that matter!) I must get to these books, very good list!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  3. GUESS WHAT I'M READING BEASTKEEPER RIGHT NOW WHAT A COINCIDENCE WOWOWOWOWOOW.

    Also yes to THE ART OF LAINEY and also I like Salt and Storm but now that I think back it was just okies. OH WELL. BACK TO READING FOR MEEEEE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay about The Truth About Alice. <3 I liked that book so much. And I'm so excited to see Damsel Distressed on the list even though I haven't read it yet (I know, I know, I know). <3 I fell in love at first sight though. Play On! I bought that todayyy<3 I can't wait to read it. I still need to read Open Road Summer too. And The Art of Lainey. The rest of the books look great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read ANY of these. *gasps* And I haven't even heard of all of them, which is shameful since I stalk goodreads regularly. xD I really want to read The Art of Lainey, though, because I have heard it's incredible. And Salt and Storm look DELICIOUS. Gaaaah, I need to get onto these. ;-)
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with Salt & Storm (WHALES), Of Beast and Beauty (oh god my feels were just over the place) and Princess of Thorns (b/c Stacey Jay is amazing)! I haven't read/finished the others though, but ones on my TBR are Stitching Snow, Play On, Open Road Summer and Beastkeeper. :)

    Aimee @ Deadly Darlings

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post! Completely agree about Stacey Jay's books and Stitching Snow - loved those! And I seriously hope Play On gets ALL the attention. :)
    I've had my eye on Damsel in Distress - hopefully I'll get to it one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read any of these yet, but they sound really interesting. I don't read many stand alone novels,but I would really like to. I will definitely add some of these to my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3