Wednesday, April 8, 2015

17 Underrated YA Series

Okay, so on Monday, the ever-enlightening BuzzFeed posted this article about 29 underrated book series for YA readers. Sounds awesome, right? Books gaining more attention that they're deserved of? I clicked on it so hard. So, imagine my utter surprise when not one, but FOUR, best-selling series and authors who have sold millions of copies, show up on the list (there could be more of them, but I haven't read all of these books, so I don't know and also was too lazy to look 'em all up). Apparently these suggestions came from people on Facebook, but clearly my definition of "underrated" is not the same as theirs. Underrated does not mean to me (and is not limited to): wildly popular, huge, extensive fandoms, NYT best-selling. Percy Jackson, The Infernal Devices, Shatter Me, Legend: are you kidding me? Look, BuzzFeed, I know you didn't come up with the books. But maybe you should have looked up the definition of underrated before adding them to this post. All of these series (probably) deserve the attention, but if you were really going for what you meant, then collecting best-selling novels for this post was not what you should have done. 

But I am so very happy about a few of these series on the list. Mainly because they ARE underrated and need more attention. I appreciate what BF was trying to do, but this just pretty much backfired, and I KNOW I'm not the only one pissed off with this post. Have you seen the #quietYA tweets yet? You should. Oh, I just love it when all of this positivity comes out of something like this. So check out the hashtag, add more books to your TBRs, and shout out your own favorite underrated series!

And here I have my own list! I want all of you guys to read these, kay? And, for the sake of trying to determine what underrated means in NUMBERS, I'm just going with series/duologies that are all under at least 10,000* ratings on Goodreads. 10,000's a good number, right? 


Trad Pubbed
Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard
Admittedly I've only read the first book, but it and Susan's writing made suuuch an impression me! I want to finish this, but I'm also just DYING for Truthwitch. Haha.

My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century by Rachel Harris
It's no secret that I loooove Rachel Harris, and I will champion her books forever. But seriously, this series is SO FREAKING GOOD! You want time-travel, a strong heroine, and a swoony love interest? Then this one is for you!

Kissed by Death by Tara Fuller
This is one of my FAVORITE story-lines involving grim reapers! And gah, that second cover is still one of my faves.

Let the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger
I loved the first book in this series, and though I haven't continued it yet, I want to! It was so very unique.

Chronicles of a Reluctant Necromancer by Melanie Card
I love books about death and people who straddle the line between it and life. And I loved the first book. Gah, gotta finish this series. 

Mind Games by Kiersten White
Mind Games was such a quick, fast-paced novel! Loved it!

Sisters of Fate by Rinda Elliott
Man, this series has a HUGE publisher and Foretold has less than 100 ratings on GR! Harlequin Teen, man, what are you doing? I thought the first book was a lot of fun, and it definitely wasn't perfect, but I liked it a lot!

Drowned by Nichola Reilly
Again, another HT book that has VERY little buzz! I thought it was pretty unique, and even though it was all kind of vague, I was excited to see where the story-line went. Now I'm not even sure there will BE a sequel.

Some Quiet Place by Kelsey Sutton
These are companion novels, set in the same type of alternate universe but with completely different story-lines. And oh man, such a unique concept! Also, FEAR. <3

*****

Self/Indie Pubbed
*not completely sure if all of these fit under this category, so my apologies if they are actually trad published. I can never tell*

The Archers of Avalon by Chelsea Fine
Okay, so this one is a *little* over than 10,000 ratings. But it's one of my all-time favorite series, and I think it deserves SO much more attention! If I haven't convinced you guys to read these books yet, then I should just quit right now.

The Kindrily by Karen Amanda Hooper
This series is one of my favorites when it comes to the character relationships! This group of family and friends are so wonderful and amazing. There are so many characters, but they just add to the story. 

Magio-Earth by Joanne Wadsworth
These books are just SO much fun! And I'm such a romantic that I love the idea of these people having soul-bonds with each other (a one mate for life thing). I'm hoping book four will be out soon!

Creepy Hollow by Rachel Morgan
I love this very underrated faerie series! The heroine is sassy and the hero stands by her side as an equal, which is like my favorite combo.

The Cavy Files by Trisha Leigh
I really, really enjoyed the first book in this series, and I can't wait to continue it! It's like a sci-fi X-Men. 

Timespell by Diana Paz
I'm not exactly sure when the sequel is supposed to be out, but man, the first book was awesome! A really fun time-traveling novel.

Cobbogoth by Hannah L. Clark
Ahhh, this was one of the most UNIQUE books I read in 2014! And gah, that cover is so freaking pretty.

Legendary Saga by L.H. Nicole
Oh, I love Arthurian tales retold, and this was no exception! It had a strong heroine, a wonderful group of guys, and an awesome story-line. And damn, I need to read the sequel ASAP.

*****

(I haven't finished all of these series, but their first [or second] books have left good enough impressions on me to rec' them to you). Also, I'm going to do a few other posts like this one, all featuring different genres/sub-genres. Tomorrow I'm hoping to put up a YA standalone list for you guys! :D


What are some of YOUR favorite underrated series? GIMME MORE RECS! Also, check out the #quietYA hashtag on Twitter for more amazing books that deserve much, much more attention. :)

11 comments:

  1. THANK YOU, HOLLY!

    There were so many on their list that made me shake my head in embarrassment for the author of that article because so many of those series are so well-known, and a lot of them, even overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I agree so much with this post! I was so disappointed in Buzzfeed's list. Like seriously, Percy Jackson, The Infernal Devices, Shatter Me, and Legend are definitely not underrated.

    I love your list. I've actually read none of them, but they sound good and their ratings are good. I'm definitely planning on reading some of them soon ;) Great post!

    Maisha @ Books Equal Awesomeness

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for adding to my never ending TBR list :D

    I do love a great series!

    Great list!

    brooke @ booklife4life :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool list! I've only heard of a few on your list, but I haven't gotten to any of these. I totally agree with you on the BF list, especially since the first series on their list is from a epic fantasy series that is definitely NOT YA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with these! I was annoyed when I saw their choices for "underrated" series.

    If you're wondering about the fate of Drowned, Cyn Balog (aka Nichola Reilly) is publishing a prequel and two sequels. There was a merger at Harlequin Teen and it resulted in several books/series being cut. Drowned was one of them, but the rights go back to her in June of this year, so she can publish elsewhere or go indie. Book two and the prequel are already written. I believe she's releasing the prequel first and the next boom shortly after.

    Your list is better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Buzzfeed one was SO ridiculous. Um, it isn't underrated if there have been MOVIES made about them! Ridiculous. I haven't read these, BUT I agree with them. I could definitely do a post with ALL the series, because I am a little obsessed. And I read a lot of under the radar stuff before I started blogging. Some of my favorites?
    -The Apocalypsis series by Elle Casey
    -The Woodlands series by Lauren Nicolle Taylor
    Well, I could do this for days, and I am kind of too sick and tired to continue. You've handled it for me, so we're good ;)
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Creepy Hollow series by Rachel Morgan. They definitely need to be read! Great post, I'm going to lookup all the ones I haven't 'met' yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Creepy Hollow series by Rachel Morgan. They definitely need to be read! Great post, I'm going to lookup all the ones I haven't 'met' yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhhh. All of these look so good! Thanks for the list. I'm so tired of the best-seller list right now. This is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. THAT'S RIGHT PUT BUZZFEED IN ITS PLACE GO GO GO GOOD JOB LITTLE HOLLY.

    I do have Something Strange and Deadly, but I haven't read it yet. AND I HAVEN'T READ ANYTHING ELSE I AM A BAD PERSON I WILL GET ON IT OKIES?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the recs! I haven't read any of these (and some I haven't even heard of!) so I'll be looking into them. I just need to be sure there is NO love triangle. :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3