Saturday, April 4, 2015

Bookish Bingo: 2015 New Year Edition Wrap-Up

Three months have passed, so that means another bookish bingo challenge is over! I love doing this and trying to cover the whole board. BUT I HAVEN'T DONE IT YET. (I will this next time, I promise). Anyway, here is a recap of what books I read, the squares I crossed out, and why I didn't make it all the way.

Hosted by Great Imaginations.
The spring edition has started too, btw!

Squares I defeated:
*Start a Series: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
This was a reread, and boy, it was just as amazing the second time around!

*2015 Debut: One of the Guys by Lisa Aldin
This was cute, but I didn't love it! (my review)

*Fairytale Retelling: The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly by Stephanie Oakes
This was a crazy, twisted story that completely surprised me.

*'Pretty Dress' Cover: Of Sea and Stone by Kate Avery Ellison
I really enjoyed this unique take on the Atlantis myth. :) (my review)

*White Cover: Confess by Colleen Hoover
This may have been my favorite CoHo book yet! It was just so wonderful, and I loved the artwork and confessions. <3

*LGBTQIA: Trust the Focus by Megan Erickson
This was my first true M/M romance, and I adored it! 

*Blue Cover: The Ghost of You by Amanda Burckhard
This was a sweet story about grief, tragedy, and what it means to heal. (my review)

*Mystery or Thriller: Black Iris by Leah Raeder
Man, this one could have gone in a number of categories! But I settled on thriller, because as much as it was a romance, it was definitely intensely chilling of the mystery-kind. And I loved the darkness of it! (my review)

Over 400 Pages: Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo
Um, yeah, this one disappointed me A LOT. It was my least fave in the series. (my review)

*POC (People of color) MC: The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
This book. Guys, this booooooook. It was stunning and gorgeous and I SHIPPED THIS COUPLE SO HARD.

*Mental Illness: All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
This book was just utterly amazing. It was my first 2015, and it became an all-time fave! (my review)

*Romance: Becoming Rain by K.A. Tucker
It's no secret that I LOVE Tucker's books, but this was my *least* favorite out of all the ones I've read. I still loved it, the story and the characters, but I was a little disappointed with the ending. (my review)

*2014 Release I Missed: Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo
I thought this series ender was PERFECT. I loved it! (my review)

*Based on Mythology: Cold Iron by D.L. McDermott
I picked this one up by chance because it was a daily kindle deal, and it took me by surprise with how much I loved it! I can't wait to read the sequel.

*Gold Lettering: Legend by Marie Lu
Yeah, so I had planned on binging the whole series, and then I just didn't read the other two books. But I did enjoy Legend! I guess it just didn't leave a huge impact on me.

*Faeries or Fae: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
I put this off for SO FREAKING LONG, and I can't believe I did that because I thoroughly enjoyed this series beginner! Now I finally understand why everyone loves it so much.

*Male POV: Captive by Brighton Walsh
It's official: I am obsessed with Brighton Walsh's books! I loved this one so much; very realistic male POV and a heroine who is not your typical female MC. :) (my review)

*Superpowers: The Thorn and the Sinking Stone by CJ Dushinski
This isn't a typical superpower story, so I'm using my own judgment on placing the book into this category. But I think it fits, and I really liked this story!

*Pink Cover: For Real by Alison Cherry
This was adorable, and I loved the relationship between the sisters! :) (my review)

Squares that defeated me:
*Forgotten Fridays Pick
*Magical Realism
Middle Grade
Epistolary (in the form of letters)
*Graphic Novel

*****

I tried REALLY hard to cover the whole board again! But damn, time and SCHOOL and the fact that I wasn't in the mood for some of these categories made me lose (not that this is about winning anything; I'm just very competitive with myself). Middle grade is just NOT for me, and I wasn't very interested in trying out a graphic novel. I bought a FFP book, but I didn't even read it omg! Also, what the hell is magical realism? I can never figured out what books qualify for that genre. 

Even though I didn't "win" AGAIN, I'm proud of only missing 5 squares! I had a lot going on for school and life, so reading was slow. But I can't wait to try it again for the spring edition. :)

9 comments:

  1. So many great books!! I need to read Black Iris (I'll read it really soon), Ruin and Rising, Becoming Rain (and Burying Water, duh), All the Bright Places, The Wrath and the Dawn, Trust the Focus, The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly (I'm on the blog tour, so I WILL read it soonish), and Confess. And Captive, I think. I trust that you'll make me read that one, right? I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU NEED TO READ ALL OF THESE BOOKS!! Also, yes, I'm going to make you read Captive. And more of K.A. Tucker's books.KEEP ME UPDATED!!

      Delete
  2. Awesome Holly!! So many great and different books....Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like so much fun! I need to look into the spring edition! And I think you did a great job.... congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely check it out; I have so much fun doing it! Thanks, Danielle. :)

      Delete
  4. Look at you go! I should try this! It looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3