Tuesday, May 19, 2015

(31) Top Ten Things You Should Know About Me Before BEA

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's theme: Topic of your choice--FREEBIE! 

It was so fortunate that this week's TTT was a freebie since, with BEA coming up, I was inspired to do a get-to-know-me list after talking with Shannon and seeing similar posts around. So, here goes! The top ten things you should know about me before we (hopefully) meet at BEA. :)


1. I am painfully shy.
You guys might not think it with the way I talk on social media (but really, remember how long it took me to actually socialize with people in this community?), but I am. Really shy. But more than that, I can be pretty closed-off. It's hard to open up to people I don't know. So if I don't offer up much about myself, it's not because I'm trying to be rude or that I'm suspicious of your character (unless you're actually a creeper). I'm just not a naturally open person.

2. I am an awkward social penguin.
I don't consider myself a funny or outgoing person, so it's kind of hard for me to start conversations. Like, I just don't know what to say! 
Example of an attempt to converse confidently: "Hi, I like your dress." "Hey, thank you!" *crickets, awkward silence* *thirty seconds later* "So, you love books?"
H E L P

3. I hate crowds.
I'm a firm believer in personal space, so knowing that I'm gonna be smushed between hundreds of people and possibly getting trampled on is, not gonna lie, a real fucking nightmare. I get pretty claustrophobic in crowds, and I'm so NOT looking forward to the stampedes and shoulder-to-shoulder packed space (if it even is like that, but I'm fairly certain it will be jammed up considerably).

4. I'm a follower.
I am not a leader. I don't take charge like a general. I'm much happier to let others figure out what to do first and lead the way. So I'll probably be clinging to Val and Shannon (#sorrynotsorry) and following them around like a lost puppy.

5. I get grumpy when I'm hungry.
This could very well happen because I'll be running around all day and not eating much, so I'm definitely loading up on some snacks for the event. Because grumpy + exhausted (which I'm sure I will be, especially if I don't sleep well) = a dangerous combination. So no need to be both.

6. I'm not very spontaneous.
I am not. I need to plan, plan, plan. I need to know clearly what I'm going to be doing and when. It's hard for me to just jump into something with no rhyme or reason. But hey, if you're up for something spontaneous, I'm game! This trip is all about facing my fears and becoming more independent and being courageous. So spontaneity? Should be no problem.

7. I laugh often, and loudly.
I do this, especially, when I'm nervoussss. And everything about socializing with everyone is making me SO nervous. I'm a little self-conscious about it, but I'm also just a really easy-going person who loves laughing with others. So I hope no one cares about my (probably) obnoxious laugh.

8. I am an (occasional) hugger.
I like hugs, at times. And it kind of depends on the person. And sometimes I feel like I have this "do not touch" sign stamped onto my forehead. But don't let that stop you from running up and tackle hugging me (which is what I'm pretty sure Val will do when we meet for the first time) because I do really love them! I just also like my space. :P

9. I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON.
It takes me awhile to wake up and actually be ready to socialize, so if we meet in the morning, it might because of THIS and not because I'm being shy. I'm like a zombie in the mornings, and it's hard to form coherent sentences. 
(The all-caps is for you, Val).

10. I LOVE meeting new people!
Despite a lot of the above, I really do love talking with new people and learning their stories. It just might take me a bit to warm up to everyone. :)

*****

So, what was YOUR topic for the Top Ten meme this week? Also, will I be seeing you at BEA? If you recognize, DON'T HESITATE TO SAY HI OKAY! :)

12 comments:

  1. I'd love to go to BEA someday, though first I'd need the money to get to the big city and stay by a hotel. A friend who went last year recommended bringing a little red wagon, since the bags she brought still couldn't hold all the books she picked up.

    I can so relate to social anxiety, being introverted, and hating crowds. I'll probably never transmogrify into a people person or social butterfly.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to go to BEA, but it always coincides with the end of the school year (I'm a teacher). Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally relatable for anyone going to any con, really. Enjoy BEA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I hope you have fun at BEA! I'll be there only one day (Thursday), so maybe I'll see you around!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to go to BEA at some point. I hope that you have an amazing time when you get there! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could be there. Hope you have lots of fun and meet new friends. Please take lots of photos for the poor souls way cross the ocean :)
    When Bad Covers Happen to Good Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your topic choice! I hope you have a fantastic time at BEA!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing! Wish I could meet you at BEA. Lucky you!

    Here's mine: Best Moving-and-Starting-Over Books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your post topic!!

    LOL, I hate crowds too. They make me grumpy!!

    I'm not a morning person either. I have never been a morning. I developed insomnia over a decade ago and I've become less of a morning person than ever... I've been know to stay up until 3am and then get up at 11am.

    I can also be grumpy when hungry.

    Good luck at BEA. I wish I was going!!

    Here's the link to my Top Ten Tuesday post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/05/top-ten-tuesday-sexy-male-characters-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a great time at BEA! It sounds like so much fun, I wish I could go!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/19/top-ten-tuesdays-5/

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAHAHAHAH TOO BAD. I will seriously be jumping on BOTH OF YOUR GUY's BEDS IN THE MORNING. I'm only a morning person because I've been trained due to work and also Ollie the dog (he likes to play in the morning...at 8am)

    I AM SO GONNA SQUISH YOU WHEN I MEET YOU. Well maybe. Ok to be honest it may be a little awkward the first five minutes but thats ok. I'LL TRY TO NOT BE THE SOCIALLY AWKWARD PENGUIN so that you don't have to be! I also have no idea what I'm going to do with the crowds, I'm going to die.

    YOU PLANNED ON FOLLOWING ME? I KNOW LESS THAN BOTH OF YOU COMBINED!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WAIT. Who the hell is going to be the leader of this adventure!? We are such a mess haha. And yes, I am with Val, the first five minutes are going to be awkward as hell, even though we talk every day, so let's just all come to that conclusion, get SUPER awkward for a few minutes, and get it out of our systems. Then we can work on being normal ;)

    I. Cannot. Wait.

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3