Tuesday, May 26, 2015

From the Den: January Edition

Welcome to From the Den, a brand-new feature here on The Fox's Hideaway! What is it about, you ask? Good question. So, I read. A LOT. I read more than what I show on the blog. Way, WAY more. And most of the time, I only post about those books on Goodreads, so if we're not friends, you'll never see all of what I'm reading. And I don't like that! I also always wondered why people bothered showing their DNFs, and the books they weren't going to review. But I get it now. Even if I don't review books fully, or I DNF, I still want to tell people about them! I still want to show them on my blog, in some way, even if it's just a monthly round-up post. And that is where From the Den was born, a feature to showcase the books that I don't post reviews for on the blog, whether I liked them or not. :) This will *hopefully* be a monthly feature from here on out, but I want to start from January. So, for the entire week of BEA, I'm going to catch y'all up on the books I've read since 2015 started that never made it onto The Fox's Hideaway!


*****

Shadow and Bone
This had been a reread in preparation for a binge of the series, and I loved it just as much the second time around! Leigh Bardugo's writing is so gorgeous and lush, the details splendid. I've always liked Alina and her strength, and her relationship with Mal. And of course, I adored The Darkling. 

Pocahontas and the Powhatan Dilemma: The American Portraits Series
I had to read this for my Women's History college class, and I quite liked it! I usually hate nonfiction, but I found this more accurate portrayal of the real Pocahontas fascinating.

The Sky is Everywhere
I love books that deal with tragedies, grief, and the process of healing. And I really enjoyed this one! I thought I would be head-over-heels in love with it, but that was not the case, sadly. I had a hard time connecting with the main character, and the story, in the beginning. I kept putting it down and starting it back up, never quite sure if I wanted to go through with it. But I am SO glad I did! Lennie is definitely a complex character, and hard to like at times. But she was grieving. She was trying to process her sister's death. I found her to be a lot relatable, and I was so happy when she made the choice to move on. And the poetry? My favorite parts of this book. I saved so many of the poems because they were just absolutely beautiful and heartbreaking and sad and lovely. <3

The Art of Lainey
I'd been wanting to read this one ever since I heard of it, and I'm so glad I could FINALLY make it happen! Guys, if you haven't met Micah yet, YOU NEED TO. He's a walking, talking contradiction I fell in love with the moment he stepped onto the pages. I love him, and how he loved Lainey. Lainey is definitely a character that had a lot of growing to do, and that's okay! She wasn't perfect. She focused more on who she was friends with and what she looked like than about what was inside a person. She cared a lot about popularity, and you know what, I could relate to that so well. To that need to fit in and be liked by everyone. And her growth as a character was so wonderful to see. Also, her friendship with Becca is a pure joy to see in a YA book! It was wonderful.

*****

So, that's it! Check back tomorrow for the February edition. :)

3 comments:

  1. Ooh! I love this feature. I was so confused when it said January in the title, I was like "…but it's May". But now it all makes sense! This feature sounds great! It's kind of like a little series of reviews for the past months. I've never thought of all the books you read and don't review before. This is great.

    I still need to read the Grisha trilogy! It never ends, the amount of books I have to read, that is.

    I'm going to have to check out that Pocahontas book you listed, I've known for years about the real Pocahontas, but I've never dug any deeper so this sound really interesting.

    The Sky Is Everywhere! I've heard that it's really good but for whatever reason, the summary turns me off it. :( And that's bad because I…bought it. So you know, I should probably read it. OMG THERE'S POETRY IN IT? I MUST READ IT NOW. Well not now, but soon.

    You made The Art of Lainey sound so appealing to me! I'll have to give that one a try too! Possibly purchase it. :) Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you put some of these on your blog? I understand some, like the ones for class or rereads. Do you not have time? Totally genuine question, I'm not judging or anything, just curious. :)

    I still haven't read The Art of Lainy. I don't read contemporaries often. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to do a reread of Shadow and Bone! I still haven't read Ruin and Rising, and I kinda want to reread the first two books before I dive into the last one.

    I loved the poetry in The Sky is Everywhere. That book was beautiful. :)

    YESSS. I'm so glad you enjoyed The Art of Lainey! I adored that book. I had so much fun with it!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3