Saturday, May 30, 2015

From the Den: May Edition

From the Den is a feature to showcase the books that I don't post reviews for on the blog, whether I liked them or not. I read so many books that never make it onto The Fox's Hideaway, so I wanted a feature where I could tell y'all about them. :)

*****

The Kiss of Deception
This had been a reread in prep for The Heart of Betrayal (which I also read and hopefully will have a full review for, so that's why it's not on here). It was just as amazing the second time around! And I could focus better on the characters and their relationships, after knowing who was who from the start. :)

With Visions of Red
I'm not even sure what to do with this book. I actually didn't know it was a serial before starting it, so I'm kind of upset about that. But this is one serial I wouldn't mind following in installments. It was so damn good! And crazy. And just WHOA.

End of Days
I thought I was going to write a full review for this, but nah. I don't have a lot of thoughts. It was good, a satisfactory ending to one of my favorite series. But it's quite clear this wasn't meant to be a trilogy, and I'm upset it got cut off and everything got smushed into this finale. However, I did love it! I talked to Shannon about this once she finished, and she wasn't as happy, understandably so. It was fairly predictable, and a little underdeveloped (especially with the additions of more secondary characters), and the battle at the end wasn't as epic as I'd hoped it'd be. But, you know what? I can't find it in me to care about all that. I was HAPPY with the ending. I was happy I got more Penryn and Raffe banter. And I was happy it ended happily. :)

The Tenderness of Thieves
I liked this book, but it wasn't as good as I thought it'd be. I couldn't connect well with the main character at all, even though we shared some of the same background. I also disliked the romance. I wasn't much a fan of Handel, and it's quite easy to guess from the synopsis what his big secret is. But I was happy the ending took a different direction than most YA novels. Also, the parent/teen relationship, and the friendships between Jane and her girls, was fabulous to see and read about in this.

Storm Warning
I read this for the Bookish Bingo challenge, and I quite liked it! Definitely different from what I thought it'd be, but I hated the multiple POVs because I ended up not caring about three out of the five characters. The other two? I could have read a whole book about them and their romance. Speaking of, the romance was a huge disappointment. It was all underdeveloped and insta-lovey. I think that cliffhanger might have been the saving grace, because now all I want to do is read the sequel to find out who died at the end. (I have a guess, and if it's right, I WILL BE PISSED). Anyway! Lots of dramatics, lots of shifting relationships. But I still enjoyed it, to a certain extent.

*****

Hope y'all like the new feature! Like I said in the first post, this will be a monthly showcase from now on, starting in June. If I keep up with it! HAHA. Anyway, at this point in time, I'm probably leaving NY so I'll be back to the land of the internet soon enough. And I'm sure I've missed my laptop immensely and will be happy to be reunited. Checking out now. :)

2 comments:

  1. Haha Storm Warning. I loved that book. I want to know who you think dies! :D I was with you though- I really cared about one couple. I wasn't sure if I should pick up With Visions of Red, even though I LOVE Trish's books. It seemed a bit TOO dark for me. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll keep what you said in mind when I get to End of Days! I believe I've heard similar things about it (that things got a little smooshed). But I think I'll still really enjoy it. :)

    I absolutely LOVE that cover of The Tenderness of Thieves, but it doesn't seem to be going over well with a lot of people. :(

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3