Tuesday, June 30, 2015

(33) Top Ten Books I've Read So Far in 2015

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's theme: Top Ten Books I've Read So Far in 2015!

*these are not in any particular order!*


1. The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh: THIS BOOK AND THIS SHIP ARE EVERYTHING. *drops mic* *picks it back up* Okay, I'll give you more than that. The descriptive writing was amazing, and it made the story so rich in detail. And there was something just so magical about this book.

2. Tessa Ever After by Brighton Walsh: This author KNOWS how to write characters, and man did I love both Jason and Tessa. And the romance was passionate and steamy, a relationship I can root for! I'm also not usually a fan of kids in books, but I adored Haley, and especially how Jason was with her. Talk about swoon!

3. All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven: This was my very first read of 2015, and it is STILL a favorite. I loved Finch and Violet and their relationship and how they both found a friendship that gave them something different. It was a heartbreaking book, but it was also a special one.

4. A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab: This was my first Victoria book and it's not going to be the last! What an amazing story! The writing and world-building were fabulous, but the characters were definitely my favorite part. Especially Kell and Delilah. So much shipping and slow-burning feels.

5. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo: I think I loved this more than the whole of the Grisha trilogy and that's saying something. I loved all of the characters and their relationships to each other. It was a group of misfits you could definitely root for, and their banter was perfect. Also, KAZ KAZ KAZ. <3

6. Passenger by Alexandra Bracken: Yeah, I'm kind of cheating with a 2016 book on here, but it deserves to be on this list! Loved this so much. The characters were amazing, the writing was wonderful, and the historical aspect was SO good. I'm a history nerd so this made me just giddy with happiness.

7. The Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson: It should come as no surprise that the sequel to one of my top 3 reads of last year is on this list. The stakes were higher, the deception was stronger, and the characters were pushed and prodded and demanded to grow. I am so invested in their stories and in this series that I'm already dying for the finale even though I don't want it to end.

8. Uprooted by Naomi Novik: Agnieszka is one of my favorite heroines EVER. She's amazing, this book is amazing, the friendship is amazing, this ship is amazing (holy hell so much swoon and steam and hate-to-love fire GIMME MOREEEEE). It did take me awhile to finish, but boy, was it one to savor.

9. Play On by Michelle Smith: I think, out of all of these, this is my #1. This book will forever hold a special place in my heart. It had one of the best male POVs I've ever read, and the mental illness aspect of it was brilliantly done and also took it in a different direction than most. I could connect and relate to these characters and so much about this book hit home for me. I could go on, and on, and on...

10. The Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey: I wavered between this one and a different book but ultimately settled here. I love this one despite its flaws, and there are many flaws, believe me. It is a lot like Laini Taylor's series (and many people haven't been able to separate the two). But I DEVOURED this book in almost a single afternoon. I was hooked and I was shipping all the ships (first time for an OT3, man).


It was surprisingly EASY to narrow down this list, because believe it or not, I haven't had a lot of 5 star reads or ones that I was immediately like OMG A NEW FAVORITE. But I have had a good year in reading. Especially in fantasy because holy hell look at all of these fantasy reads! You can tell it's my favorite genre. :) I'm curious to see how many of these will get kicked off by the end of the year!

*****

What have been YOUR favorite 2015 reads so far? Gimme some new recs! :)

22 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to The Wrath and the Dawn (beautiful cover) and All the Bright Places. I haven't read any of these yet so thanks for sharing :) MyTTT@Crushingcinders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! I hope you get to them soon. :)

      Delete
  2. Ahhhhh I NEED to read The Wrath and the Dawn! Hurry up and re-stock hardcovers, local bookstore! *shakes fist in the air*

    You're making me want Six of Crows nooooow. I was sold on "banter."

    So jealous that you read Passenger already! I emailed Disney and I'm keeping all my fingers and toes crossed that the book gods answer my prayers. xD

    Uprooted was so brilliantly written! I just-- I can't-- THE WORLD-BUILDING WAS FANTABULOUS.

    Aimee @ Deadly Darlings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG YOU NEED TO READ WRATH AIMEE!

      Sorry to make you jealous, but they'll be so worth it. :)

      ASDFKJL; MY LOVE FOR UPROOTED KNOWS NO BOUNDS.

      Delete
  3. AH, so many books up there I am excited for!! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of these yet! But I'm really really excited for a lot of them, especially Uprooted and The Wrath & The Dawn! I need to read Kiss of Deception this summer so I can read the sequel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah, Morgan, omg FIX THIS IMMEDIATELY. And yesss to TKOD. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!! :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, fabulous list. I've not read any of these but they've all just been added to my TBR! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo, my book pushing has succeeded!

      Delete
  6. Ooh, what a nice list! I knew ATBP and Play on would be here for sure.

    . . .

    I really need to start reading fantasy, the only book I've read on this whole list was ATBP. :( Well, technically I started The Wrath and The Dawn too in April...

    Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM NOT THAT PREDICTABLE.

      Dude, you started Wrath and didn't finish it? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU. AND YOU BETTER READ TKOD OR YOU ARE DISOWNED AGAIN.

      Delete
  7. I SEE YOU'RE TRYING TO DEFEND YOURSELF ON GIRL AT MIDNIGHT. Just kidding. Also, when the heck did you read Uprooted? I WANNA READ IT. You're a poop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU AND YOUR DISLIKE FOR THE GIRL AT MIDNIGHT CAN SHOVE IT.

      Dude. I flailed about this book for a long time back in May. C'MON, MAN.

      Delete
  8. I just knew Play On would be on here!! This is why we are friends. :D
    Glad to see Tessa made your list, too. :D
    I can't wait to read Passenger, Six of Crows, Uprooted, and Wrath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS WILL FOREVER HOLD OUR FRIENDSHIP TOGETHER. <3

      Of course Tessa made my list. It couldn't NOT. :D

      Delete
  9. THE WRATH AND THE DAWN. A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC. SO MUCH WIN IN JUST THOSE TWO BOOKS.

    Also super excited to read Six of Crows and Passenger soon! *pretending that it’s not months away*

    And now I'm really glad I ordered Uprooted because I've seen it on so many lists today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY I'M GLAD I WIN.

      Soon, lovely, SOON. And yessss read Uprooted asap, as soon as you get it. *nods*

      Delete
  10. Yessss!! NICE PICKS :D I loved WRATH to tears. I just want to hug that book and never let it go. I'm reading Six of Crows right now, and I really just want to pledge my fealty to Leigh right now because her book is BRILLIANT. I loved Heart of Betrayal!! :D I'm meeting Mary Pearson in 7 days and I'm FREAKING OUT. I can't wait to read Uprooted and Passenger. Lovely lovely lovely choices <3

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALL OF THESE BOOKS, RACHEL, AGREE SO MUCH. THEY'RE SO AMAZING!!

      Delete
  11. All of these but ADSOM and Play On belong to the list of your recommendations I need to get through. So many!! They all look like ones I'll end up raving about. The Girl at Midnight was one that I wasn't all that interested in reading, but I'll probably give it a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes ALL OF THE REST YOU SHOULD READ DEFINITELY. *nods* The Girl at Midnight is hit or miss with people, so I'm curious to see how you'd fall on the line.

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3