Wednesday, June 24, 2015

So I Finally Read Throne of Glass

So back in March, my lovely friends and I buddy read Throne of Glass. Aaaaand didn't discuss it until May. Haha. But we are finally posting our small discussion of it (since we all forgot much of what happened). HOWEVER. I only have part two

Right now, I'll bet you're wondering where part one is, BUT I DON'T HAVE IT. Val, Shannon, and I decided to split our discussion three ways and then post our parts on the same day. So if you wanna read all of it, check out part one over on The Innocent Smiley, and part three over on It Starts at Midnight. :) I know, I know, we suck. But we wanted to do something different!

******

*There are SPOILERS, so don't read this if you haven't read the book. I wish I could do tags for them individually, but oh the woes of blogger and not having a white background. Anyway, they really aren't *that* major. But if you're like me, and you hate even smaller spoilers, then I would steer clear of this.


Love Interests
Holly: Can this even really be called a love triangle? I didn’t find there to be a choice to be made, and did she end up actually being in love with either of them in this? I can’t remember. 

Val: I guess not with this installment? I mean I guess that’s why everyone is on team KALE, because there are just hints of romance here and there, but it isn’t explicit.

Holly: I think a lot of this was just about developing the relationships between all of them, whether they were romantic or friendly. 

Val: To be honest I felt that Celaena thought that romance with Dorian was just a game. I don’t think she truly loved him. But she just BROKE UP WITH HIM like that in the end! I thought the triangle would be more “defined” or...uh..”angsty”? I don’t know if that is the right word.

Holly: I agree with you on Celaena seeming to play a game with Dorian, but I think she actually came to care for him. I don’t know, but I was never convinced of them as a couple. To me, their “romance”  was largely an exploration, on both of their parts. But I think they were better off as friends.

Shannon: I am assuming that the romance part takes more shape in the next book? Because this one was VERY light on the romance. Very. Which was good, really, because I feel like we got a chance to know the characters without all the drama and such. 

Val: If this book had romance drama I think I would’ve DNFed it though.

Holly: It could easily have turned into an annoying as hell love triangle.

Plot
Holly: Oh. Right. Plot. Okay, well, I was never BORED with the story-line. I liked how character-driven it was, how not much happened but there was a lot of development with the characters. A lot of it was just training, dialogue, and that mystery behind the killings in the castle. But I was intrigued to find out what was going on.

Val: Again, I never saw that mystery coming. I thought it would be a straight-forward “train+romance” type of thing. BUT MYSTERIES MAN. That definitely kept me on track!

Holly: Mysteries will always keep me entertained and interested. I mean, I did have a feeling that it involved the fae, or at least, the supernatural. There were always those symbols that meant something. 

Val: I actually wasn’t expecting an actual plot that involves Celaena as some sort of “chosen one.” Ok maybe that’s the wrong term, but she’s definitely different from everyone else. And then the whole thing with the beast, and the fae powers. 

Holly: I kind of forgot everything to do with the whole Fae story-line. 

Val: Oh yeah me too. Definitely. My poor brain. I read Crimson Bound, and the MC there is like a MORE badass version of Celaena, like uncaring-wise, and I just have both of those storylines mixed up and I’m doomed.

Holly: Like, what exactly happened at the end again, the last Trial or whatever? Someone summoned some creatures or something? Haha. I clearly need to reread this before I continue the series.

Val: Yeah the last guy, the one who was SUPPOSED to win, was EATING everyone in the castle or something, which is why he grew stronger each time. And then during the final battle, Celaena was poisoned, but then the Queen (????) came to her rescue. AND I DON’T REMEMBER HER FRIEND. Celaena’s friend had a part in this and I don’t remember her.

Holly: Shit, what was her name? She was a princess, sent there to learn their ways, to try to make peace with the King. I know she did something during the battle.

Shannon: I LOVED the friend. Someone help, what WAS her name?! I kept mispronouncing it in my head… Nehemia. Who I pronounced as the male name “Nehemiah” every chance I could get. Huge win for me, clearly. 

******

So head on over to Shannon's blog if you want to read part three! I hope you've enjoyed this! :)

13 comments:

  1. I LOVE HOW SHANNON HAS LIKE TWO LINES HERE HAHAHHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Dude, you totally failed at this.

      Delete
  3. I am Team Chaol all day long, but I think it was Crown of Midnight that sealed that deal for me. You girls need to read on together!!! :) I'd love to see your discussions for the other books too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEEESSS Team Chaol!! AGREED. FOREVER AND EVER.

      Delete
    2. I would love to discuss the others with them again BUT SHANNON ALREADY WENT ON WITHOUT US.

      Delete
  4. I am team Dorian, but I honestly don't think it will work out. So I'll just sit in my corner and sob.

    This series gets even better as it goes along, imo. If you guys do end up reading Crown of Midnight and Heir of Fire, I would love to see your thoughts on it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I don't think it will work out for Dorian either. It's okay. *pats head*

      Yesss, that is what I've heard! I can't wait to read the next two. :)

      Delete
  5. RE: the love triangle thing - I ship Celaena with no one at this point. I mean, there’s three books left, but still. I am so conflicted about the whole thing. As I said to Val - y’all need to get through Heir of Fire so we can fully discuss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn it, that doesn't sound promising. I am basically #TeamCelaena right now, but I did see hints of her and Chaol together, and I like it.

      I'LL TRY, KAYLA!

      Delete
  6. Well, I myself wasn't a fan of the romance - and the hint of love triangle - in this book, but after I read Crown of Midnight, I became an official Chaolaena fangirl! Their relationship is beautiful yet they break my heart often. *sighs*
    Anyway, you guys should do this more often! I loved reading this review:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOOHOO THAT MAKES ME HAPPY. Honestly the romance is making me wary at this point, but I do like Chaol already. :D

      Aw, I'm so glad you loved it! Thanks for saying that. :)

      Delete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3