Friday, June 5, 2015

Welcome to New York (BEA Recap)

I'm HOME FROM BEA, and boy, I have a lot to tell you guys. So I've divided my recap into six parts, and this first one will be focused on the journey TO New York City! :)

*****

Well. BEA is over. I’ve been planning this since December, and it was over in 5 days. FIVE. DAYS. It wasn’t enough time, not nearly enough. Granted, I was SO OVER New York City. This is not my kind of place. It’s claustrophobic; there are too many people who are on missions and who won’t let anything get in their way. We got a hotel right near Times Square, and it was CRAZY, especially when we had to drag our luggage from the bus station to the hotel twice (the second time nearly killed us all because of Shannon’s ridiculous book haul). Anyway! I hate New York and its goddamn traffic. But do I regret going? Not at all!

I don’t even regret my bus ride, though I AM NEVER DOING THIS AGAIN. EVER! Me + buses are breaking up and never, ever getting back together (I’ll be you’re all singing T-Swift’s song now). But as much as I hated my 19 hour ride, I don’t regret doing it. It was uncomfortable and overwhelming and it pushed me to my limits, but I don’t regret trying it. This was the single most independent thing I’ve ever done in my entire life. It was scary and terrifying and I cried after leaving Detroit, once it started becoming real. I had never traveled by myself before, especially not to a city like New York. It was an experience, to say the least. But next year? I will do anything to not have to take a bus to Chicago. Even hitchhike my way there. Just kidding, that would be even scarier.

My bus ride was just A LOT of hours of travel, so when I FINALLY reached New York City, I was like a walking zombie. Val can attest to this. I was about dead on my feet, especially because I had only managed to nod off once or twice. All I could think about was SLEEPSLEEPSLEEP HOTEL BED SO TIRED. So, Val’s and my first meeting wasn’t exactly...the best, especially because I found it really hard to string together sentences and socialize. She did all of the talking for me, and luckily we were able to get into the hotel room without Shannon (THANK YOU HOTEL ST. JAMES PEOPLE). Then the two of us decided to go to Shake Shack because we’d heard it was something we HAD to try, and it was good food even though there was standing room only (did I mention how New York City is filled with people yet?) and I was about to fall asleep. After that, we decided to cut our losses and leave Shannon to get to the hotel by herself so I could have a nap (she was cool with it, I hope). Once I woke up and realized Shannon still wasn’t there yet, I figured we should go get her. We literally passed each other by on the street, because Val and I got halfway to the station before finding out Shannon was already at the hotel. (Aren’t we great at communication, guys?). Haha! After that whole mess, the three of us were FINALLY in the same room together.

I thought it would be awkward and silent, but it wasn’t! The three of us kind of fell into a rhythm like we’d known each other for years (and, in reality, we haven’t even been talking for ONE year yet). We just hung out until it was time to go to the Teen Author Carnival, which was in this really cool library. And to get there, WE TOOK A SUBWAY. It was intimidating! And I might have decided, after the end, I wasn’t going to do it again. I don’t know how people take a subway every single day, because I had a hard time with two trips. Not to mention, all I could think about were the numerous videos I’ve watched of people who have fallen on the tracks. I was totally a tourist too, hanging on for dear life and stepping on someone’s foot because I wasn’t prepared for the takeoff. Oh well. I WILL NEVER SEE THESE PEOPLE AGAIN (also how I felt when being that annoying person who had to double and triple check with employees to make sure I was on the right buses). It was a pretty off beginning, but it got SO much better!


*****

Tomorrow I'll be talking about the Teen Author Carnival, which was one of my favorite parts of the whole week! :)

11 comments:

  1. AWWWW. Yes, no more busses for you. That is such a long trip, it's amazing you hadn't fallen asleep for good. Ugh. Oh, that's hilarious that you guys passed eachother on the way to the station. You guys are fantastic at communication. I mean, phones? Who needs phones? ;)

    Yay, no awkward silence for you guys! Way to go there. Ooh, I can't wait to hear about the Author Carnival, that sounds fun. Haha, I guess now would be a good time to tell you that someone was pushed pushed (on purpose0 into the subway tracks a few days ago.

    Haha, aw, what a tourist! Hahaha, I could make a RENT reference, but I won't

    Yay, so excited for tomorrow's post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more buses for me, ever. OKAY, WE HAD PHONES BUT SHANNON WASN'T ANSWERING. Haha.

      I'm sure it'll be the same for when we go to Chicago. :) OMG AMBER WHY WOULD YOU TELL ME THAT YOU HORRIBLE CREATURE.

      I am so glad you refrained from making a Rent reference.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you ventured out of your comfort zone with your travel to BEA but it sounds like you had a lot of fun! I saw the pics on Val's blog and it looks awesome <3 Yeah, the subway has a lot of horror stories but it's also very convenient! So glad to hear you guys got to chat and hang out <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did venture out of my comfort zone, but it was so worth it!! It was so awesome. Thanks, Jeann! :)

      Delete
  3. Getting to NYC is always crazy! I am glad you got there though, sounds like your first few hours there were fun and exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very exciting! But scary. NY is CRAZY. :D

      Delete
  4. I've never been to New York, but my friend goes all the time, and she says that it's all about the timing. She purposely plans on getting in late to catch a show and then check in. Albeit, she usually just packs everything in a backpack, but it sounds like fun.

    It sounds like the travel was a bit hectic, huh? What kind of a bus did you take to get there?

    I definitely want to go next year because Chicago seems more like my hometown. It's bigger, but I've heard that they are similar. I'm hoping I'd be comfortable there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How does she do all of that traveling? Better question, how does she deal with all of those people all the time? I could barely stand a week there. Haha.

      I took a Greyhound! And yeah, it was hectic, to say the least. So not doing that again.

      Oh man, I hope you go to Chicago! I'm planning on right now because I love the city and can't wait to go back. :)

      Delete
  5. YOU WERE DEFINITELY A WALKING ZOMBIE HAHAHA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never traveled by myself either, so the trip to BEA seems pretty daunting to me. I would have go by plane (it would take at least two whole days, and there's no WAY I would go through that) and I've never been on one. I probably would have been a walking zombie, too, if I were in your shoes. :D

    But yay! That's awesome that things weren't awkward when you all three got together. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3