Saturday, July 25, 2015

"I Have the Power to Destroy Everything"

Title: Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Publisher: HarperCollins

From Goodreads...
tick
tick
tick
tick
tick
it's almost
time for war.

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.

She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.

Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.

In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.


My Review!
*No spoilers for Unravel Me, but maybe for the first book!

Holy hell. I LOVED Shatter Me, right? But this sequel just took it up a thousand notches and my feelings ended up being so much more and intense for the characters. It was a wild ride, one that had its moments where I wanted to bang my head against the wall, but ultimately, I fell even more in love with this series. And by the end, I couldn’t wait to dive into the series finale. But I had to wait, so I could write this out first. I wanted to review the books separately, and then together. So these are my thoughts and feels about Unravel Me!

Juliette is a kickass heroine. I mean, I knew it in SM, but in this one, she became so much more badass and grew into her character. She is powerful, though she doesn’t feel like it, and she doesn’t know how to accept her gift. It’s always been a curse for her, and she doesn’t want to hurt people! She’s not a monster, and she believes that if she accepts who she is, she’s accepting that she is one. But she’s not. She has her moments, when she falls deep into her power, but she always pulls herself out of it. She can’t stand hurting people, intentionally or not. Juliette’s brave, so incredibly brave, and sweet and quiet and shy. She’s still learning who she is and what she can do, both of which cause her a lot of heartache and trouble in this sequel. She has A LOT of inner dialogue (a wee bit too much sometimes because then it starts to feel more like telling and not enough showing). But ultimately you need her thoughts and feelings because this book is about her. It’s about her stepping up, finding her place, and taking control of her life. It’s about a girl who was cast aside all of her life and who is finally learning that she did not deserve that. And God I love her voice because it’s so genuine and relatable and funny and everything that she is and isn’t. Juliette grew so much throughout this novel, and I loved watching her take charge and not letting herself be pushed around anymore. Also? GIRL POWER FTW.

“I look around.
At the ground.
At what I’ve done.
And I understand, for the first time, that I have the power to destroy everything.”

“I’m always apologizing. Forever apologizing. For who I am and what I never meant to be and for this body I was born into, this DNA I’ve never asked for, this person I can’t unbecome. 17 years I’ve spent trying to be different.  Every single day. Trying to be someone else for someone else.
And it never seems to matter.”

Like is it wrong to be #ProJulietteTakesOverTheWorld and DESTROYS IT ALL? Because…

And the romance did not have the focus. Sure a lot of Juliette’s inner thoughts revolve around Adam, but it doesn’t take over everything. He’s the one thing that makes her feel safe, so it’s understandable that she would fixate on her feelings for him. She’s in love. She has someone who wants to be with her, and who can touch her. Something she’s never had in all her 17 years. But something happens, and the two are forced to rethink everything. It leads to conflict, hurt, and heartbreak for them after Juliette makes a brave and hard choice. They also learn something else about Adam that really makes you appreciate him for how he turned out in life. A compassion and decent human being who just wants to feel safe and free from his past. God knows he’s a lot nicer than Warner, and he loves Juliette fiercely to the point that he is overly protective of her. They love each other, but in this book, they are forced apart. And when Warner is kidnapped and she’s in charge of his interrogation, she starts to feel something for the boy who made her life hell in book one.

I was on Team Adam in book one, because I loved their sweet relationship, and I didn’t know enough about Warner. But now I’m all ADAM WHO? Holy God is Warner something. I’m a sucker for broken bad boys, and Lord knows most of them don’t deserve the love. Daddy issues and a shitty past does not make one exempt from the consequences of his words and actions. But the thing is, it’s not like the author was saying: look he is just a misunderstood scared little boy who deserves some compassion. She said: look he knows he’s a monster he doesn’t fight it he doesn’t act better because he doesn’t think it can ever make up for what he’s done. He doesn’t believe that he can be better. He doesn’t know how to do anything else, to be anything else. And he's not asking for forgiveness or sympathy. And Juliette understands him, so much more than she wants to. Because they were both pushed aside, ended up scarred and broken. They were both unloved and unwanted as children, and it gives them a connection that Juliette wants to fight. But she can’t. She starts having feelings for the boy she swore she would destroy if given the chance. And you know what? I ship it. So much. Adam is a lot of things, but what I believe is this: he’ll never accept her wholly. He’ll never accept the dark side of her because he doesn’t want to believe it exists. Warner does, and it’s what makes him fit better with Juliette. Also their chemistry is so HOT and holy fucking hell I am still thinking about Chapter 62. *fans self*

This love triangle isn’t about the two boys and which is better, but it’s about Juliette, and who she is with each of them. And which one cradles her in a safe cocoon but also gives her room to breathe and grow with and without him. When she and Adam broke up, Juliette grew without him. She started to stand up for herself. She became stronger, and she was able to move on and make friends without him. But Warner gives her the room to grow without overcrowding her with his opinions. He pushes her, because he knows she can do so much more than she gives herself credit for, something Adam doesn’t get. Warner’s only ever wanted to show Juliette how powerful she is.

Oh, and by the way, the friend, Kenji? He’s amazing and can he be my best friend in real life pleasepleaseplease? He doesn’t take Juliette’s shit, and he tells her like it is. He doesn’t have time for hearing about her love life problems (but she’s only a 17 year old girl so I think she was allowed her moments of hurt and vulnerability), and he really gives her the push to take control of her life. To stop feeling sorry for herself and stand up for who she is and accept her power. Also he’s so fucking hilarious and cool and he lightens up the tense situations quite admirably. I was a little upset that the chance for Juliette to have some girl friends was shoved away to make room for the romance, because it could have been wonderful for the MC to have that female companionship. But I digress, she’s got Kenji.

There wasn’t as much action as I thought there would be. There IS a lot more telling than showing, but I didn’t mind it so much. It was still intense, the emotions Juliette feels and the ones coming off of the other characters. The look into Warner’s past just about killed me. I honestly just can’t wait for more, especially about how it all began and like what is actually happening (you don’t get much info on that). I’m a little nervous for this series ender because like I don’t want it to end but also I want to see what happens. And I KNOW my feelings are just gonna be more intense (people have told me this beforehand). But I’m excited. Especially for Chapter 55.

RATING:
    

6 comments:

  1. I feel like a kid right now but in my head I'm totally jumping up and down and clapping giddily because YES ALL OF THIS I LOVE THIS SERIES SO MUCH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HEHEH I LOVE YOU. AND THIS SERIES. AND WARNER. AND JULIETTE. AND GAH. KAYLA. HOW DO I MOVE ON FROM THIS.

      Delete
  2. I love this series! I love Kenji! I love Warner! I LOOOOOVE Chapter 55. You're welcome for Chapter 55. ;)

    No seriously, this one was better than Shatter Me, and Ignite Me is even better than this! I cannot wait for what Tahereh has in store for us next! MORE BOOKS.

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, I actually think I loved Chapter 62 more. But whatever, they were both so great and hot and *fans self* *drowns in a bucket of ice water*

      It's funny but I loved this one the most. I was just a *wee* bit let down by Ignite Me, but I don't even care. I JUST LOVE THIS SERIES SO MUCH. And I can't wait for more from Tahereh!

      Delete
  3. Great review! This trilogy just got better and better with each book. Loved seeing the changes in Juliette and she learned more about her abilities. So much love for Kenji - best side character ever. :) And... #TeamWarner!! Tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this one, but the last book in the series was my favorite. Great series.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3