Thursday, July 23, 2015

"My Touch is Power"

Title: Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release Date: October 2nd, 2012

From Goodreads...
Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


*This was a reread in preparation for finishing the trilogy, so I decided to share my thoughts from the first time I read it, and this second time. Let's see if my feelings changed or if they stayed the same!

First Read: June 2nd, 2014
Rating: 4.5 Paw Prints!

Old Review:
I only know now that the scientists are wrong.The world is flat. I know because I was tossed right off the edge and I've been trying to hold on for 17 years. I've been trying to climb back up for 17 years but it's nearly impossible to beat gravity when no one is willing to give you a hand. When no one wants to risk touching you.


Juliette has a problem: her touch is fatal to anyone she comes into contact with. It's a problem that her parents couldn't deal with, that society deemed was psychotic, and that she's been labeled a monster for most of her life. And she starts to believe it.

I loved Juliette's character! I thought she was the perfect blend of strength and vulnerability. She's spent her whole life thinking she's a monster that it's hard for her to believe anything different. I loved her voice and how she told the story. Tahereh Mafi has a very unique writing style. You either hate it or you love it. But I thought it was perfect for this type of story. The way Juliette saw the world, her thoughts and feelings. I liked the crossed out sentences and the repeats of words. It fit Juliette's character and her erratic thoughts. It took a little bit of time to move past it, but once I did, I very much liked it.

I also loved Adam! At this point, I'm on his team. But you never know what happens in the sequel. ;) Honestly, I'd like a little more development with the secondary characters, especially with Warner. They all have their own personalities, but we don't find out much about them. I loved the additions of James and Kenji! I can't wait for more fun dialogue and interactions amidst the terror and looming possibility of war.

And oh, the romance. It was sweet, passionate, and subtly sensual. It was just so beautiful that Juliette could find love in the midst of her broken life. A love that makes her feel worthy, makes her feel safe and secure, and most of all, doesn't make her feel like a monster. <3

I really liked where this plot headed! Without giving away much, I'm excited for the sequel. And I'm excited to see where the author takes this superhero type of story-line. :) Shatter Me was a truly unique read. I'll be patiently impatiently waiting to read the sequel.

******

Second Read: July 17th, 2015
Rating: 4.5 Paw Prints!

New Review:
I reread this in prep for Unravel Me, and I loved it just as much the second time around! There is something so addicting about this story. It’s different. The writing style makes it different, and unique. It’s not for everyone. It’s hard to get over. But I think the crossed out words and the repetitiveness fits the book, and the main character. Juliette is a little insane. I mean, we meet her in an INSANE ASYLUM. We meet a quiet, intelligent girl who was thrown away like she didn’t matter at all. I loved Juliette’s inner strength. All her life, she’s felt powerless, but throughout the book, she grows into her own. She lashes out at the people who make her feel small; she doesn’t let her past or her power define her. She’s not perfect, but her vulnerability makes her human, and beneath her tough exterior is just a girl who wants to be loved. To matter to someone.

And Adam makes her feel like that, like she’s important, like she fits in his world. She’s only ever been a monster to people, but Adam knows what her power does to her, knows that she hates it because it’s only ever made her feel less. But he tries so hard to make her believe that she’s more than the gift she never asked for. I know everyone’s one Team Warner, but I’m not! Not in this book, at least. I can see why she loves Adam. He’s confident, quiet, and cares for Juliette more than she ever thinks. He gives her something she’s been sorely missing in her life; a friend who stands by her side and a love that makes her feel whole when she’s ever only felt broken inside. I’m not sure what he does in the next two books to make everyone hate him, but right now he’s an Adam I can root for.

Warner was a great addition to the story as well. He’s not a good guy, and he makes some of the “villains” I’ve read about look tame. He’s calculating, and cold, and forces Juliette into corners where her choices make her hate herself even more than she already does (not exactly a romantic ship I could possibly get behind). But I can’t wait to see where his character arc takes him. I have a feeling there is way more to him than meets the eye, though all I want to do is punch him. Anyway, I also loved the addition of Kenji, a secondary character with fantastic charisma and a mystery of his own. He brought comedic relief in intense situations, and I love my characters who use humor to mask their fears. I want MORE of him! :D

I’m not a huge fan of dystopian, but I like this quite a lot. The world-building could be a lot better though (I *think* I have the general idea of how it all started, but I’m not totally sure), but I’m guessing we’ll get more of it in the next books. But I definitely LOVE where this has headed! Talk about a story-line that I can fall in love with. I love books with characters who have special powers, and I’m so excited to see where this series takes that kind of plot. I’m very intrigued! Time to FINALLY continue the series and read Unravel Me! :)

******

As you can tell, my thoughts really didn't change that much! Considering that it was over a year ago since I read this the first time, I'd say that's pretty damn good. And also I decided to keep the same rating. I loved Shatter Me. I loved Juliette even more this time around. There is just something about her voice that draws me in and makes me want to shelter her from the big bad world. But she doesn't need to be sheltered, because she is one badass chick who has the power to destroy what makes her feel weak. However, clearly after finishing the series, my thoughts and feelings differ on the two boys. You'll be able to read those soon. ;) But in this one, I just wanted more background on them, and Kenji. Also like I said, the world-building could have been a bit better, but we learn much more in the next books. 


But I'm wondering: have you read this book/series? What do YOU think about it? :) Check back tomorrow for Unravel Me's review! 

7 comments:

  1. You know I haven't read it, but oh my gosh, I really want to now! Juliette reminds me of Elsa, how she has this power she hasn't asked for, that she can hurt people through it and she's left all alone to deal with it on her own.

    The repetitiveness and strike outs sound really interesting. I like little unique marks like that in stories. I wasn't interested in this dystopian all the much because I'd heard really mixed things about it, but Juliette sound awesome and Adam sounds great and I'm all for a really calculating "villain".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PLEASE READ IT. ohmygoodness I didn't even think about the parallel with Elsa, but it's SO TRUE.

      I really dislike dystopian, so I'm particular about what I read and love in that genre. JULIETTE IS SO AWESOME SHE IS THE ELSA OF THIS STORY READ IT AMBER.

      Delete
  2. I love what you said about Juliette! I see so many people get annoyed with her, but I LOVE her vulnerability and flaws. She grows so much throughout the series.

    Also, YAY! HAVE I TOLD YOU HOW HAPPY I AM THAT YOU LOVE THIS SERIES TOO? I'm worry about people hating it because I know it doesn't work out for some people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get why people become annoyed with her, I really do. And I get why this story doesn't work out for some people. But it worked out for me, and I freaking love Juliette. Her character arc is AMAZING.

      Delete
  3. I ONLY LIKE JAMES.

    THAT'S IT.

    Warner is too creepy for my tastes. Ugh. And I need to get my review together for this book hahaha. I have yet to do that :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WARNER IS TOO CREEPY? JUST WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT BOOKS.

      I'm so saddened you only like James.

      Delete
  4. How interesting to reread and then compare your reviews. I rarely if ever reread. There are just *so* many books i want to read that I feel there's no time to reread. I remember reading Shatter Me and seeing all the Team Warner comments from those who had already read the rest of the trilogy. And I was just horrified! LOL Like, how can you possibly pull for this guy over Adam? Oh, little did I know what was to come... :)

    girlplusbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3