Tuesday, August 4, 2015

(36) Top Ten Favorite Fairytale Retellings

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's theme: Top Ten Fairytale Retellings I've Read/Want To Read (or you could do fairytales I want to be retold or fairytales I love).

I was so happy when I saw the topic for this week! I LOVE fairytales, and I LOVE fairytale retellings. But I haven't read as many as I've wanted to, though it was easy to find 10 of them. And here are some of my favorites!



1. Princess of Thorns: A Sleeping Beauty tale with a princess dressed as a boy, an arrogant prince, and OGRES.

2. Of Beast and Beauty: A tale as old as time, a song as old as rhyme. A romance between two unlikely characters who bring back hope and goodness for their people.


3. The Wrath and the Dawn: A gift to the world. A ship I will go down with. A sassy heroine and a complicated guy you can root for.


4. A Thousand Nights: A not-yet-released book that is very old school in style. A slowly told story that is downright magical.

5. Cruel Beauty: A girl with a plan to destroy a monster. A cruel, snarky "villain" who makes her feel something. A castle with secrets.


6. Splintered: An Alice in Wonderland retelling that twists the original tale and makes it darker with gruesome creatures.


7. The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly: A girl with no hands and a messed-up past. An FBI agent who wants to learn the truth. A story of faith.


8. Cinder: A cyborg tossed away like she doesn't matter. A prince who sought a favor. An evil queen who decided to take over the world.

9. The Collectors' Society: A woman sent to live in an asylum for a past she can't forget. A group of misfits who rescue her to save Wonderland.

10. Stitching Snow: A mechanic on a cold planet. A stranger who has a secret. A story of two people from different worlds colliding.


Bonus Retelling Mentions
non-fairytales I loved:
The Deep End of the Sea by Heather Lyons: a wonderful story of strength and healing.
Antigoddess by Kendare Blake: so dark and bloody good!
Crane by Stacey Rourke: Headless Horseman, Edgar Allan Poe, and HG Wells, oh my!

want to read so badly:
A Court of Thorn and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge
Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
Hood by Stephen R. Lawhead
The Summer of Chasing Mermaids by Sarah Ockler
Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

*****

I really like cheating on these posts. :D Also, speaking of fairytale retellings, have any of you seen Descendants yet? It's a Disney Channel movie that is so very CHEESY but it's also just really fun to watch. I've seen the Rotten to the Core scene probably a dozen times already. "Can you blame me? I never got no love." :D 

ANYWAY I ALWAYS NEED MORE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THIS GENRE, SO HIT ME WITH YOUR BEST SHOT.

21 comments:

  1. This was such a fun post idea this week. I love retellings and you picked some good ones. Drop by my blog and sign up for my give-away. It relates to today's meme.

    My TTT Retellings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it? Anything to do with fairytales, and I AM IN. I will definitely be checking out your post; thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Your list and mine have a few in common! I loved Princes of Thorns and I don't know why it's not more popular. I especially love Niklass hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESYESYES TO PRINCESS OF THORNS! *high fives*

      Delete
  3. I want to read One Thousand Nights SO SO BADLY! (Plus insane cover love. <3) And Cruel Beauty and Splintered and Cinder and Tiger Lily are totally some of my all time favourites. :D Have you tried Dorothy Must Die?? It's so freaky and creepy and fantastic. Here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GAH. I HOPE YOU GET TO READ IT SOON, CAIT. AND I REALLY HOPE YOU LIKE IT BECAUSE IT'S ONE THAT WILL EITHER BE A LOVE OR HATE IT TYPE OF BOOK.

      I've heard of Dorothy Must Die but I had put it off for author reasons. I might try it. Someday.

      Delete
  4. We have a few matching ones! The Lunar Chronicles (of course!), Of Beast and Beauty, Princess of Thorns, and Stitching Snow. <3 I still need to read Wrath and will be reading A Thousand Nights soon!
    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when we have matching books. <3 omg Danielle you haven't read Wrath? WHAT ARE YOU DOING GO READ IT RIGHT THIS SECOND. GO GO GO.

      Can't wait to hear what you think of A Thousand Nights.

      Delete
  5. I haven't heard of most of these but Stitching Snow, Cruel Beauty, and Princess of Thorns are on my wishlist. I've also read Splintered and Cinder and loved them, but I keep putting off reading the rest of the series for reasons I don't fully understand myself. Great recs this week! Will definitely be adding some of these to my wishlist.

    Beks @ Novel Dreams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for Splintered and Cinder! Haha, I've put off the Splintered series but only because I don't have all of the books. ;) But I'm actually planning a binge of The Lunar Chronicles for a read-a-long and I cannot wait to reread the books + Fairest for the first time. And of course, Winter. :D

      I hope you get those wishlist books soon! They were all so great.

      Delete
  6. Princess of Thorns is definitely something I have to read soon. Sleeping Beauty is my favorite fairy-tale of all time. I'm surprised I haven't read it ]yet, but I will eventually!

    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love Sleeping Beauty, then I have a feeling you'll love PoT! Stacey Jay's books are wonderful.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. CRIMSON BOUND AND THE SUMMER OF CHASING MERMAIDS YES PLEASE. I wish I had time to reread both of them because I NEED them in my life again. Cinder is fantastic as well, but Scarlet is still my favorite from the series :D We'll see if that changes with Winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WILL READ THEM SOON. WHEN I GET COPIES.

      Haha, I'm really excited about the TLC readalong because I'm wondering how my feelings will differ after I reread each of the books. Cinder was my favorite this first time, but I'm thinking that will change. :)

      Delete
  8. I have a thousand nights and Stitching snow on my list as well.
    I am so unsure about the wrath and the dawn because of all the hype. Most hyped up books are just not as great for me as everyone else thinks.
    And cinder... i keep hearing about that one as well but i don't know if that is really as fantastic as it is said. Once again with the hype. :)
    Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only read Cruel Beauty but all the others you listed look soooo good!!! And I did watch Desendents, it wasn't my favorite but I did enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh I have wanted to watch The Descendents, even though yes, it DOES look cheesy but who even cares!? Also WRATH. So much love. Minnow Bly was great too, of course! I am excited for A Thousand Nights too! I am now curious about this Collector's Society thing.

    Also, I had NO idea that The Summer of Chasing Mermaids was a retelling. I guess the "mermaid" thing should have clued me in... oops?
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you ever read Kate Forsyth's Bitter Greens, a re-telling of Rapunzel? Plus The Wild Girl which is her story of the girl next door to the Grimm Brothers. She is now writing a version of Beauty and the Beast-my personal favourite tale.

    ReplyDelete
  12. TIGER LILY? TIGER LILY. HAVE YOU READ IT? It is a retelling. It is MY REC.

    Also what is Sacred Lies a retelling of? The only one I haven't really heard much of is The Collector's Society :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. YES TO ALL OF THESE. :)
    I loved all of these, but I especially liked Cinder, Splintered, The Wrath of the Dawn and Cruel Beauty. Glad you felt the same way. xD
    Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous post & choices! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3