Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Bookish Bingo: Summer Edition Wrap-Up

I HAVE FINALLY DONE IT. AFTER THREE TRIES, I HAVE COVERED THE WHOLE BOARD. I AM THE MASTER OF THE SUMMER BOOKISH BINGO. 

I am so proud of myself. The best part is that I didn't even need to TRY to find books that would fit the topics. Most of the ones I read could be used for a square. In fact, I had to decide between many for quite a few of these subjects. So I wanted to showcase both good and bad, both favorites and ones I wish I had DNFed. I read such a variety, and I have to thank Bekka for the variety in the board too. I loved these topics and had so much fun finding books to fit into the squares.
Created and hosted by Bekka over on Pretty Deadly Reviews!

*Cover Has Been Changed: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
This was actually a reread, because I wanted to have it all fresh in my mind before continuing the series. And oh my gosh, I loved it just as much the 2nd time, maybe even more so. :)

*POC Writer: Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon
This book is truly something special, and it's well-deserving of the love it's receiving. Such a cute, and oftentimes deeper story than I had been expecting. The ending could have been just a *bit* more, but I didn't mind so much.

*Title Is More Than Three Words: The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness
I'm still not sure what to think of this one or even how to review it. On the one hand, I liked it. On the other, I don't get the point of it. It was just so WEIRD, but Mikey's voice was so relatable and genuine, and I loved that. He was a guy that you could totally root for.

*Magic: Truthwitch by Susan Dennard
This was definitely worth that long wait for it. It did take me quite awhile to actually get INTO the story, but once I did, it had me hooked. It was full of magic and had an amazing friendship between two badass women. I loved it!

*Fire In Title or On Cover: The Copper Gauntlet by Holly Black & Cassandra Clare
Ugh, as much as I liked this, I'm just not a fan of MG. I can't really take this, or Call, seriously. But it's definitely strayed from those initial Harry Potter comparisons, and I still think it can hold its own.

*Multi POV: Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes
I was SUPER disappointed with this one! It was not at all what I was expecting. I didn't like the multi POVs because it was hard to care about the characters when I felt I didn't have enough time with them. And it was so laughably predictable. No twists, though it WAS gruesome, I'll give it that.

*Face on Cover: A History of Glitter and Blood by Hannah Moskowitz
This book is something else entirely. It's weird and depressing and confusing and weird and unreliable and different. Did I mention weird? I quite enjoyed it though. But I was sure it was gonna go in a different direction than it did, but I suppose this one was better. It's not one I would reread, but I'm glad I tried it! It's not typically my kind of read.

*Purple Cover: Legacy of Kings by Eleanor Herman
I liked this, though the more time goes by, the more I don't remember what happened. I can't even tell you any of the characters' names except for Alexander (before he was Great). I was never truly bored since the magical elements made me curious, but seriously, what actually happened in it?

*Tearjerker: The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord
This one didn't make me sob or ugly cry, but it still tugged at my heartstrings and emotions. It was so wonderful. Such a joy to read about Paige's journey and how she wanted to kick-start her life back into motion. I could relate to her character SO well, and I envied the friendships she had with her three besties. Also the love interest, Max? ADORABLE.

*Travel: Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson
Travel book, indeed. It was about 95% Oregon Trail and 5% fantasy, which I wasn't expecting (even when someone told me it was like that). I wish there'd been more in the fantastical area, and I did get bored quite a few times (so much so I started this in June and only just finished it a few days ago). But I did end up enjoying it!

*June, July, August Release: Devoted by Jennifer Mathieu
I LOVED this! After loving Jennifer's debut, I had to have this. And I was so not disappointed with it. I love the questions it asked, and I loved that the main character went after the life she wanted even though she was basically shunned for it. Rachel's journey was so beautiful!

*Time Travel: Passenger by Alexandra Bracken
One of my favorite books of the year! I loved the slow pace, the slow burn with the romance, the displacement of a 21st century girl into a time where women were seen as not good for much except being a wife and having babies. Important questions on feminism and slavery were asked and debated, and Etta held her own in a world so unlike her own. And oh, the history in this, and the romance, just made my heart soar.

*2015 Debut: Naked by Stacey Trombley
This was such a fantastic debut! One that I think is very needed as it deals with a topic shied away from in YA. But it was in a tasteful way, not too gruesome but not all sunshine and butterflies either. It was about one girl's journey in realizing that she did deserved so much more out of life, and that she was more than just a body to be used and discarded.

*Award Winner: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
I'm pretty sure this is an award winner. At least, I hope so. I actually thought this was a horror book, and I think that's partly why I kept pushing it off. But it's definitely NOT scary. Creepy yes, but it went in a completely surprising direction. And I really liked Jacob's voice, though his decision at the end felt unbelievable.

*Young Adult: The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
I originally had a different book in this spot, but I really wanted to include this one. It is now one of my all-time favorites, and I just never wanted it to end. I could have read another 400 pages of it. I loved both of the main characters SO MUCH and wanted them to be happy and at peace. I rooted for them throughout, and their slow-burn romance made my heart sing. ASDFJKL;

*Short Story: Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi
I just needed more Warner in my life.

*Finish a Series: Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi
After this finale, I just had so much love for these characters. Juliette and Warner, especially, and I will defend those two and their relationship. Their arcs were incredible, and they ended up being two of my faves of any book, especially Juliette. I have to say, though, I was a *little* disappointed with the ending. 

*MC With Physical Disability: Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
I feel like this would be a spoiler, so I won't say who has the disability. But I will say that I loved how Leigh wrote this character. And how, even with the disability, they were still able to do anything they put their mind to. It wasn't a hindrance. It was just part of this person's life, not the whole of it.

*White Cover: The Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow
I really, really enjoyed this book! It was a lot deeper than I thought it would be, and I loved many of the characters, especially the main one. And it just made me wonder: could I start a war, knowing my child would be killed over it? My answer? I couldn't!

*Blue Cover: The Season of Lightning by Kate Avery Ellison
I love historical fantasies, and while this one was good, I definitely wanted MORE. I liked the MC and how she just wanted to do better, and be better than she grew up. She's forced to face some awful truths in this, but she doesn't back down from what she believes is right. I loved that. But the world-building was lacking, and I was never sure where the story was going.

*"Beach Read": Upside Down by Lia Riley
A light, sometimes fun contemporary that would be perfect to read in the sunshine by the water's edge. I just didn't love it, or like the characters all that much. And I hated how the queer woman was only there as a friend because she wasn't a threat to the couple's relationship (and she disappeared after awhile so we just barely got to know her). She had so much more personality than the two MCs combined.

*Out Of Your Comfort Zone: Asking For It by Lilah Pace
I love how this took a different approach to rape, fantasies, and blurred lines. It pushed me out of my comfort zone, but I'm glad I read it. I think it showed a side that is not often explored with this subject. It was intense, at times, very uncomfortable. But I loved it and I can't wait for the sequel.

*Published Over a Year Ago: Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
This was my FAVE book in this series! It was so much more intense and thrilling, and my love and obsession with this series just became so much BIGGER. There were moments that it became a bit too much on the romance front, and of course, it's more introspection than dialogue. But I didn't care! LOVED.


*Retelling: A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnston
While this isn't Wrath, I really enjoyed it! It was basically pure fantasy though, with no hints of romance and with a main character on a mission she won't deviate from no matter the consequences (which I loved). But the writing was definitely over-the-top and I have a feeling this won't be a favorite among most people.

*****

Have you read any of these? If so, what did you think of them?!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on finishing the challenge Holly! I suck at doing reading challenges!
    I am dying to read Truthwitch, The Scorpion Rules, Six of Crows and Passenger. I read Legacy of Kings a few days ago, and loved it a lot! And Shatter Me is one of my favourite series, especially because of Warner!:)

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3