Friday, September 11, 2015

Dragon Obsessed and Needing Recs

This past weekend I FINALLY watched How to Train Your Dragon 1 and 2, and I fell in love with Hiccup, Toothless, the gang, and the whole production. I had to immediately re-watch the movies, and the best part? I never got bored the second time! Too many times with movies I watch them and then that’s it. I don’t even have a good attention span for them anymore. But there is something so wonderfully magical about these movies and the characters. Hiccup is this sorry excuse of a Viking, the one person who can’t fucking kill a dragon even though it’s all he’s been taught and it’s his heritage and BLAHBLAHBLAH. He befriends a dragon HE SHOT DOWN BTW and together, they become a team. Together, they push the past aside and find a future for the people of Berk to be able to live alongside dragons. THEY CHANGE EVERYTHING JUST BY ACCEPTING WHO EACH OTHER IS.

There were actual tears from me during HTTYD2 moments. (If you’ve watched them, you probably know the scenes). “Go away Toothless.” SOBBING WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HICCUP WHY ARE YOU BEING SO RUDE AND MEAN AND OMGGGG WHY AM I CRYING RIGHT NOW THIS SHOULDN’T MAKE ME SO SAD IT’S A FUCKING ANIMATED MOVIE FOR GOD’S SAKES. These two will do anything for each other. They build each other up, and turn their weaknesses into strengths. And they will always, always have and accept each other. They turned me into a freaking puddle.

HICCUP AND TOOTHLESS ARE OTP. I mean, JUST LOOK AT THIS.

And here is another for your enjoyment.

Oh, and this one too.

GUYS, THE FEELS WITH THESE TWO. ASDFJKL; WHY ARE THEY SO ADORABLY CUTE AND EVERYTHING.
This seriously hurts so much. MY HEART.

And oh, I also have to mention the total badassness of Astrid. Hey here’s a heroine who will kick your ass at the same time she’ll save it. And the other characters? All make for such a fun cast + Hiccup actually has an arc that you will LOVE. He goes from this wimpy character who makes a shit ton of mistakes to someone who can be called a hero. Someone who won’t turn away from the hard stuff and who will adapt to situations as they are handed to him (aka he loses something valuable and in #2 has to work with that change). And also his adorable relationship with Astrid is adorable.

“You have the heart of a chief and the soul of a dragon.” <--One of my favorite quotes from HTTYD2. I want to be a dragonrider too. I want my own Toothless. That’s all I want in life now.  *sobs* because I am not one. Life isn’t fair, you guys. But you know what the next best thing is? Reading a book with dragons in it. Except, I have a problem. I have NO IDEA what book even has dragons in it. I feel like I probably KNOW some of them, but my mind is drawing up a blank. I do have Talon by Julie Kagawa on my shelf but I’ve heard such bad things about it that it makes me hesitant to read it.

So, here’s where YOU come in! Give me your best dragon book recommendations! These are one of my fave mythical creatures and I’m kinda obsessed with them right now and I need to read a book that will give me the same feels as How to Train Your Dragon did. I don’t know if it’s possible, but hey, this is why I need YOU!! H E L P M E. :D

9 comments:

  1. You might try

    Christopher Paolini: Eragon

    Rachel Aaron: Nice Dragons Finish Last
    and One Good Dragon Deserves Another.

    The classic dragonrider series are the Pern books by Anne McCaffrey starting with Dragonflight and Dragonquest, 23 books in all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! How To Train Your Dragon 2 = sobbing. I feel you, I watched it months ago and still haven't fully recovered.

    I love dragons too! I'm trying to think of all the recommendations and blanking, let me see what I can do.

    First, a few series I read when I was younger, not sure on your thoughts of middle grade but these are good dragon-y books!
    - The Last Dragon Chronicles by Chris d'Lacey - they're kind of strange but fun.
    - Dragon's Milk (Dragon Chronicles) by Susan Fletcher - so dragony, so awesome. Also, the most highly recommended of what I'm listing.

    Then I second the recommendation of the Dragonriders Of Pern books, I have only read four but my mom loves them all.

    Then there's Slayers by C.J. Hill which I haven't read but have had FOREVER. And the Dragons Of Starlight series by Bryan Davis is really good.

    A few awesome ones that aren't strictly dragons but have dragons and lots of fantasy adventure would also be Fablehaven by Brandon Mull(the series starts a bit slow though) and Adventures Wanted by M.L. Forman(series starts awesome and with a dragon!).

    Okay, I've gone on long enough. Long live Hiccup and Toothless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh I'm about to start sobbing just seeing you write about HTTYD!
    Those movies are so great!

    As for dragon recs...I don't really have any.
    I enjoyed Talon, but if you're in it for the dragons, you'll be disappointed. And there's lots and lots of instalove. Like, she literally sees the guy and falls in love with him before he says two words (and vice versa).
    So, yeah, Talon is probably not what you're in the mood for right now.

    I suppose there's Firelight, by Sophie Jordan. It's similar to Talon in the "shapeshifting dragons hiding from people trying to kill them", but there's more dragon-y happenings.

    Sorry I can't be of more assistance :/

    Hope you find some good dragon recs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay... this is probably a huge sin, but I've only ever seen How to Train Your Dragon 2. I was babysitting, and that's the movie that the boys wanted to watch. I still have no idea what happened in the first movie, but I cried like a baby with those boys when I watched the second movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post appeals to me on so many levels! I absolutely love dragons (how could you not?) and need some more books to dig into so I'll definitely be scouring the comments ahah
    One of my all time favourites is Firebolt by Adrienne Woods <3 Going Down in Flames by Chris Cannon is also pretty good. Though there are no dragons as cute as Toothless (again, how could there be?)

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.com/2015/09/announcement-etsy-shop.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read read it because I'm told it's quite different, but David Tennant narrates the audio book for How to Train your Dragon.

    My sister would never forgive me if I didn't mention Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCafferey. I really loved Nice Dragons Finnish Last!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of the How to Train Your Dragon movies are amazing. TOOTHLESS IS SO CUTE HOWWW. THESE GIFS ARE SO CUTE HOWWWW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Going Down In Flames by Chris Cannon. The main character can shift into a dragon and it was a pretty good book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahahaha. I remember after I watched How to Train Your Dragon, I had pretty much the exact same reaction as you! I love Toothless. :-)

    And I totally wish I could help you out with book recs but unfortunately, I just don't know of any awesome dragon-related books. I'm sorry!

    Julia Anne @ Peach Print

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3