Saturday, September 26, 2015

Review: A History of Glitter and Blood

Title: A History of Glitter and Blood
Author: Hannah Moskowitz
Publisher: Chronicle Books
Release Date: August 18th, 2015!
*eARC kindly provided by Chronicle Books via NetGalley*

From Goodreads...
Sixteen-year-old Beckan and her friends are the only fairies brave enough to stay in Ferrum when war breaks out. Now there is tension between the immortal fairies, the subterranean gnomes, and the mysterious tightropers who arrived to liberate the fairies.

But when Beckan's clan is forced to venture into the gnome underworld to survive, they find themselves tentatively forming unlikely friendships and making sacrifices they couldn't have imagined. As danger mounts, Beckan finds herself caught between her loyalty to her friends, her desire for peace, and a love she never expected. 

This stunning, lyrical fantasy is a powerful exploration of what makes a family, what justifies a war, and what it means to truly love.


My Review!
It’s been a LONG time since I finished this book, and I still don’t know what to think of it. On the one hand, it was incredibly unique, in the way that it was written and in the way that the story was narrated. On the other hand, I’m not so sure it was for ME. Let me try explain my thoughts on this book when I'm STILL unsure of them. Haha. But I did have a lot of FEELINGS while reading, that's for sure.

As I’ve said, it had a very different narration. A narration that is going to make it hard for readers to follow along with (I think a physical book would have been a better way to read this). But I did enjoy it, even if it wasn’t easy to figure out what was actually going on sometimes. And because of this narration, the world-building is sort of lacking, and I wanted more descriptions and background. It left much to be desired, and I scrambled to figure out what was happening and why. The narrator was unreliable, and so I’m not even sure how much of what happened in this book ACTUALLY happened. And I could swear the story was going in a different direction than what it did. Not that I didn’t love the ending, because I did, but because I was sure that it would end differently.

Oh man, it’s hard to even talk about this book and its characters. I loved them, and how their relationships with each other were integral to their growth. Beckan was a force to be reckoned, someone who just wanted to keep her family together, someone who had different ideals than her people. She had a tightknit group of friends who had each other’s backs through anything. Add in a few other characters who make them question themselves and what it means to love. And all of them are forced to face different changes in here, in themselves and with each other. The world-building was lacking (intentionally, I imagine), but the character development most definitely was NOT.

This was a really fast-paced story, and short, but a lot happened during that time. Even with so few pages, there was still an impactful emotional quality about it. I almost cried a few times, because the writing was so wonderful, and the stakes were high. I’m just. I’m just not sure what I read. I don’t get it, not fully. There were so many parts of it that were confusing, but probably more so BECAUSE of the narration. But again, I loved the unreliableness of it and how the story was unraveled. A History of Glitter and Blood is something special, guys. Even if it’s not your type of book, please at least try it. It was so diverse, so unique, so engrossing. I was enchanted from the first page.

RATING:
   

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book. I was honestly just drawn to this book because it's amazing cover. I feel like me being a huge instagram person this would be a perfect book to take a picture of. But omg I really shouldn't base books on their covers.

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I actually wasn't drawn in by the cover, but by the description of it. It was good though! :)

      Delete
  2. I AM CONFUSED YOU WEIRDO.

    Ok so let me get this straight, the writing was wonderful, but the narration was confusing. HOW IS THAT A THING. Ugh whatever have your way Holly Bolly.

    Anyways, I'm going to be honest, but this is kind of why I AVOIDED this book and didn't request it, because I knew I would be a huge MESS of confusion by the end of it, and just never want to read ANYTHING again. So yeah. But you still liked it I suppose. I think it was Shannon that loved it?

    ANYWAYS. sad about the lacking world building. Happy about the tight knit group of characters, I always like that in a book. BUT I WILL PASSSSSS. So yeah.

    :D :D <3 awesome review Holly Bolly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DUDE. IT'S A THING. Like okay I liked the writing, but the voice of the character and the narration was confusing at points. You would understand if you read the book!

      I think Shannon only liked it, but I can't remember! It's worth a try though. Even if you end up not liking it or DNFing. And honestly I'm pretty sure I'm one of the few who was so confused with all the happenings. So you might not be? I don't know. It doesn't scream VAL BOOK.

      Thanks girl!

      Delete
  3. I agree- it was fabulous, even though it was confusing and I still don't quite understand it. There's just a certain charm to it that was present, and some need to know what happened to the characters even while confused! YAY for us both liking this book :) And boo to Val above me for not even TRYING. What is that?!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  4. God, you summed up so many of my feelings. It's like...the narrator says so many beautiful things, and then you get to that one part and you're like WAIT IS ANY OF THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENING OR IS THIS A CRAZY PERSON!? But you love them anyway. This book really worked for me, probably BECAUSE it was so bizarre. I will definitely re-read someday.

    C.J.
    Sarcasm & Lemons

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...I actually kinda like confusing books. So this may be a good book for me, especially with the character development. I'll put it back on my maybe shelf on Goodreads because your review has me intrigued. I don't know when or even if I'll read it, but it's a possibility.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this one and really liked it! I get what you mean about it being a little bit confusing. It was a bit difficult to get into the narration, but once I did I was enthralled in the story. I liked that the ending kind of unwound everything to make the reader question EVERYTHING. Great review!

    Jamie @ Books and Ladders

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3