Tuesday, October 27, 2015

(39) Top Ten Books Perfect for Halloween

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's topic: Halloween themed freebie -- your choice (ie. 10 best ghost stories, 10 things that scare you in books, 10 literary Halloween costumes, 10 vampire novels, 10 books that WILL scare you, 10 non-scary books for Halloween, 10 scariest covers, etc.)

I originally had a different plan in mind, but then I just didn't wanna finish the post and I didn't have very many books for the topic anyway. So I decided to be boring and uncreative by talking about the scary/creepy/horror/thriller books *I* want to read that would be perfect for Halloween! I'm not normally a fan of them, so I don't read them often. But I want to start because I want to find that one YA novel that's going to give me nightmares and keep me awake at night. It hasn't happened yet, but it will someday. 

1. These Shallow Graves
I'm not sure how "scary" this one is, but it's a thriller that I cannot wait to read. AND JUST LOOK AT THAT COVER.

2. Blood and Salt

I've been wanting to read this one ever since I heard of it and saw that cover. And I've heard such praise for this book already. It's definitely one at the top of my TBR list, and not just because it's October. ;)

3. The Dead House

This one wasn't originally on my radar until bloggers started receiving and reviewing it. And then people started talking about how great and scary it is, and I was like NEED. It looks and sounds like the perfect Halloween read.

4. Amity

I've been meaning to get to this one since last year, and even though I've pushed it off for so long, I still really want to read it. And I've always been a fan of horror and scary movies with houses that seem to be alive.

5. Slasher Girls and Monster Boys

I'm not a huge fan of anthologies, but I love quite a few of these authors AND they're all scary/horrific or psychological thrillers. They'd be excellent October/fall/Halloweenish short stories.

6. Daughters Unto Devils

This sounds freaky as hell just based off of the cover and synopsis. And I've heard good things about it as well. 
But seriously. That cover is creeping me out. It's giving me The Ring vibes. 
NOT. COOL.

7. The Fall

I really love paranormal stories, and especially psychological thrillers. Plus it's a reimagining of Edgar Allan Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher, which I've read and found to be very atmospheric (as are all his stories) and dark. 

8. The Creeping

Does that cover not make you want to hide under the covers? Just me? Ah. This one sounds like a thriller with a little bit of a fantasy and paranormal mixed in. I definitely wanna try it!

9. We'll Never Be Apart
Anything set in a mental institute or ward automatically gets put on my TBR. I LOVE psychological thrillers, and this one sounds right up my alley.

10. Asylum
An old, renovated asylum? Check. A bunch of teens lurking around the hidden shadows and exploring the place? Check. A chilling mystery? Check. COUNT ME IN.

*****

Do you like reading these types of stories during October and Halloween? What are some scary books YOU'D like to read? Do you have any recommendations for me? FIND ME THAT ONE THAT'S GOING TO GIVE ME NIGHTMARES, PLEASE. :D

10 comments:

  1. Blood and Salt, Slasher Girls and Monster Boys and Daughter Unto Devils are all excellent reads for this Halloween. I hope you have a chance to pick them up because they are creepy and terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These Shallow Graves does look creepy. I've read We'll Never Be Apart, if you love psychological thrillers then you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I requested the Shallow Graves on NG but sadly I was not approved. Haha, it looks really amazing though.
    ADVANCE HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

    Here's mine I hope you check it out :) MY TOP TEN TUESDAY

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Dead House was one of the best books I've read this year, maybe ever. It has it's scary parts, yet it's so emotional and leaves you with a "what the fuck just happened" feeling. Daughters Unto Devils was super-good, too - it was such an original and exciting story! The Fall is kind of slow, yet I adored that book and the characters were so well-crafted, too! Slasher Girls & Monster Boys was SO AMAZING!! Besides a few stories, that is. Anyhow, hope you'll enjoy all these books!
    Awesome list! <3
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was also uncreative this week, Holly, and did the exact same topic. I don't want to scare you away, but I hated The Fall. It was too weird for me. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

    Sarah @ Kerosene Lit

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Dead House is so good (I'm actually giving away a copy on my blog!).

    Check out my TTT and my Halloween Giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NOPE.

    NOPE.NOPE.NOPE.NOPE.NOPE.NOPE.NOPE.NOPE.NOPE.NOPE.NOPE.NOPE.NOPE.

    NO THANK YOU. WILL PASS. Asylum looks creepy as poo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been wanting to read both Blood and Salt and Asylum ever since I first saw their covers. They look and sound creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blood and Salt and Slasher Girls & Monster Boys look really good! Happy Halloween Halloween @ Crushingcinders

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to say that I LOVE creepy books, but I'm starting to think I haven't read many of them (at least, not ones that are supposed to be obviously creepy). :D I was a bit torn on Blood and Salt because I didn't liked a lot about it, but was bored with the story. Weirdly, The Dead House didn't scare me very much. I felt more intrigued and sad while reading.

    Now, AMITY. That's such a good horror book! I was creeped out by that one quite a bit.

    I haven't read any of the others, but I NEED to read Slasher Girls and Monster Boys!! These Shallow Graves looks pretty good too...

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3