Saturday, October 3, 2015

From the Den: August + September

From the Den is a feature to showcase the books that I don't post reviews for on the blog, whether I liked them or not. I read so many books that never make it onto The Fox's Hideaway, so I wanted a feature where I could still tell y'all about them. :)

*****


August:
Between the Spark and the Burn
I only liked the first book, so I wasn't too interested in this one, but I wanted to finish the duology especially since I was sending it to a friend. I enjoyed it, but I don't take it, or the characters, very seriously.

September:
FrankensteinThe Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
I read both of these the past two weeks for my online Fantasy & Science Fiction course. I was mildly disappointed with Frankenstein. I really disliked it, and I don't find there to be a big point to the story (sorry, classic lit fans!). But I really enjoyed Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde! The edition I read was easy to follow along with, and I found myself hooked throughout the telling of the story (even though I knew the basics of what was going to happen). I'm glad I read both classics; but the latter was definitely better, imo.

*****

As you can tell, the last two months were pretty slow for me, but I'm hoping October changes things. So what books did you read? Any that I NEED to know about? Let's talk! :)

5 comments:

  1. *gasps* Not Frankenstein! Actually, I do understand. I really liked reading it, but there's a lot I can see people disliking.

    As for what I read recently . . . you kinda already know (the important ones, at least). :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of the first one before. That font, those colors, er.

    Ooh, I haven't read Frankenstein or The Strange Case either, but I really want to, because you know, classics. And "scary" ish. I should try to do that.

    I read This Is Where It Ends which I saw you commented on my GR about and I forgot to tell you that I really liked it! Mostly. As much as you can like a school shooting book. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I am pretty sure all of those books would have put me to sleep ;) So I had been having this AWESOME streak of amazing 4-5 star books: Illuminae, Return Once More, Air Awakens, A Madness So Discreet, Walk on Earth a Stranger, Sweet Madness, Blood and Salt, The Rest of Us Just Live Here... and then...

    I guess I ran out of good books and am working my way through the crappy pile? Things are NOT going well. Maybe it;s me? But I not really DNFed but like, got bored REALLY quickly of a few books and set them aside, which is unlike me.

    Your graphic, however, is extremely on point.
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well...I spent most of September rereading The Raven Cycle, and I know you already know about those...

    I loved Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde...which is amazing because I listened to it on audio and the narrator had such a monotone voice that she literally put me to sleep.
    Like, I'm not even kidding. I woke up like, what? I wasn't even tired.

    I can't remember my exact feelings towards Frankenstein...it was different from what I expected, that's for sure...I think I enjoyed it.
    It's been a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww but I wanted to read the first book, The Devil...something something. But yeah. It wasn't too high on my TBR though so oh well. ANYWAYS.

    Meep.

    My housemate is currently reading Frankenstein. She doesn't seem to be too happy about it but what do I know

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3