Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Sometimes Hype Can Really Work

What I've come to notice in blogging is that select few books receive extensive promo from their publishers. Many don't receive the attention they should and are basically left behind in favor of the ones believed to become really popular with the masses. Most, especially if the publisher is one of the big ones, are made into ARCs that are sent to librarians, booksellers, bloggers, etc. But that's it. Just a little ARC distribution and nothing more. So there are many books that fly under the radar with me, and ones I never even know about until later on, or even until after they're published.

This is an instance where HYPE IS GOOD, where hype receives a high five, a gold star, and a pat on the back from me. There are quite a few books that published this year that would have flown under the radar if it hadn't been for other bloggers. There are three distinct ones that come to mind. Ones that I read and loved and want to now push onto everyone I can. Because they totally deserve the hype.



I never knew about the three books above until bloggers started fangirling and flailing over them. If I had been on NetGalley, I probably would have passed Uprooted by if the hype hadn't pushed it in my face. That cover screamed middle grade to me, even though the girl on it looked a bit older, and it just didn't... appeal to me that much? For Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, I never knew about it until like a month before its release date. I think this one had a fairly big ARC distribution (not exactly sure about that), but I never saw any promo for it until fellow bloggers started singing early praise for it. And with The Fixer, again, I would have missed if it hadn't been for the amount of people reading it and loving it and shouting about it over Twitter and on Goodreads.

Sometimes, in cases like these, hype makes me happy. Uprooted is definitely one of my favorite books this year. I savored that book for weeks, it was so good. The Fixer isn't typically my type of story, but I have loved the seasons of Scandal that I've watched, AND it had political intrigue. The hype from other bloggers brought these books to my attention when I probably would have just skipped over them in a lineup. And I'm so happy to say that the hype was WORTH IT. I loved them all!

Of course, these books could have had way more promo from their pubs than I think. They could have been given more attention. I could have just missed initial announcements and tweets about them. (And of course I'm not forgetting that just because a book is popular in the blogosphere, it doesn't mean it is elsewhere). But if it hadn't been for other bloggers, I don't know if I'd ever have read them. Maybe years later, but in the same year they released? Probably not. And here are some other books I'd never heard of until the hyped up presence on Twitter and blogs made me put them on my TBR:



I haven't read any of these yet, but I really want to! I don't know if Every Breath would have gotten on my radar at all if it hadn't been for its presence in the blogosphere this year (it actually released in 2013 in Australia but 2014 for the US). I don't pay nearly as much attention to Aussie authors as I should. Both The Dead House and Air Awakens are recent releases that I hadn't known about before then. I didn't even know about AA until after it was published! Haha. It's also not *that* hyped up, but my friends are LOVING the series and I'm definitely going to be reading it soon.

*****

Are there any books you didn't know about until people (bloggers/authors/pubs/whatever) started flailing about them? Does that kinda hype work for you sometimes too? Let's talk! :)

4 comments:

  1. I'm so wary of hyped books and I often don't read them because I feel like I have these massive expectations and they're just not always meant which equals disappointment. I did read Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda though, and absolutely loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hype can work for and against a book (and for me). Obviously it's great for sales. But from a reader standpoint it's sometimes off-putting. When I see that seemingly everyone is gushing over a particular book, sure it gets my attention, but it also feels like overkill. As a lifelong reader I tend to know what I'm going to like and what I won't. The few times I've caved to hype and read a book that I was iffy about to start with - ugh. Never works out. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson was the last time I did that and... disaster. So I notice the hype but I can't say that I'm ever really swayed by it.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. AIR AWAKENSSSSS! Also, you forgot the insane hype (deserved!) for Illuminae!

    And hmm books I didn't know about. Well, I DO like to be the discoverER instead of the discoverEE, but there are some for sure! Like The Raven Boys, which I thought was about bird-dude hybrids. And Throne of Glass which I legit never would have read if we hadn't done the buddy read. And ummm KoD. (Thanks for that, BTW). Although, I DID know about them all, I just hadn't read them?

    OH I know one! The Nocte series! I wouldn't have known about that one without blogging! There's probably one or two more? Sure!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU NEED TO READ EVERY BREATH. MYCROFT AND RACHEL ARE SO STINKIN' SHIPPABLE. I've been seeing Air Awakens so much lately, so it feels like I absolutely need to read it. I don't even know much about it. :D

    Hype is what made me read Simon and Uprooted too! I was intrigued by Uprooted when I first saw the cover, but then everyone started raving about it and I absolutely HAD TO HAVE IT. I found a gently used copy at my bookstore one day and it makes me so happy that I came across that. ☺ I passed over Simon when I first discovered it on Edelweiss, but ended up picking it up months later because so many people were praising it.

    I have to admit that I'm a little nervous about The Fixer. Political intrigue can fail big time for me (though it can work at other times). I do intend to read it because I'm so curious, though.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3