Friday, November 6, 2015

Checking In for October: Fall, Kittens, and Life

I don't do a monthly recap on the blog, partly because I'm lazy and partly because there isn't usually much to say. But I was inspired by Jamie's If We Were Having Coffee feature to start doing more personal posts on here. And what better way to do that than to recap my month in LIFE instead of just books and blogging? So Checking In will be a monthly feature on here that will help you guys get to know ME better, and hopefully you'll start sharing your own stories with me. :)

*****

Fall!
Fall is my FAVORITE season. I love it. I love the weather. I love wearing jeans and a hoodie. It's basically my wardrobe for the whole season. I love the changing colors, the falling leaves that crunch under my shoes. And Michigan is always SUPER gorgeous in the fall. Well, unless it's raining. October tends to take over for April's showers and I can't tell you how many pairs of suede shoes I've ruined because I still haven't invested in some freaking rain boots yet. But luckily, it actually hasn't been raining that much and the only shoes I've ruined have been old ones. So a win for me!

And here are some pictures I've taken this fall to give y'all a taste of what it looks like in Michigan:
(this was at the cabin)

(a sunset at my house)

(my gorgeous campus)

Kittens!
I know this is what y'all are here for, isn't it? :D If you don't follow me on Twitter, you wouldn't know this, but my family currently has 5 cats, plus 2 others who come around every so often to eat. It happened last year, in winter, when a mother cat and her two kittens took shelter in our garage. Those two grew up, became "ours" and it was a blast. Then this past summer appeared two more kittens followed by THEIR mother cat (who is a mean ol' bitch, and is one of the strays who only comes back for food). At first, none of them liked each other, but they eventually became friends.

My babies: Boots & Ransom


The new kittens: Gray Baby/Shadow & precious Snickers


And then one of our older "kittens" took off at the end of July, pretty much ruining my life since he was the one I was most attached to. And then, in October...

RANSOM CAME BACK!

The brat was gone for THREE WHOLE MONTHS, and somehow found his way back to our house and into our lives. Over the course of the past two weeks, he's been on and off returning, but currently he seems to be staying for the long run. He dominates our back porch now (because apparently he and Boots don't know how to get along anymore), and he's been sleeping out there the past couple of days. Hopefully he stays for good, because I still consider him ours and I adore him so much. And luckily, he and the dog have been really good with each other. In fact, our dog seems pretty used to the cats by now. She doesn't growl or bark or chase them. She just gets curious and in their faces sometimes, but they don't hiss or scratch her either. It's so nice having pets who actually like each other.

Life!
October was a busy month for me! I was still recovering from the surgery I had in September. It wasn't until the middle of the month that I finally had my post-surgery checkup and now I am pain free, and it is fabulous. I can't even express to you how fan-fucking-tastic it feels not being in pain anymore. So I feel much, much better in health, and I actually lost a little bit of weight during those six weeks, so woohoo for that! I'm going to try my hardest to keep up with that, and to lose more weight before BEA in Chicago. And it'll definitely be good for my own health to do that.

While I was recovering, I binge-watched a lot of TV shows. I spent a whole week breezing through the 5 seasons of Friday Night Lights. I do want to start a new feature involving my binge-watches, but it hasn't happened yet! But I have loads of fodder to use, so be on the lookout for something in that regard soon(ish). :) I wasn't reading as much, but with the start of October, I felt a shift in that regard. I was suddenly in the MOOD again. It's still been a slow process, but what I've read has been *almost* all quite excellent. And I've been letting myself read whatever appeals to me the most at the time, and it's been a much-needed break from the craziness of ARCs.

So anyway, that was fun. But the rest of the month of October went even better for me! I only have 3 classes (1 online, 2 on campus), and it's been a real freaking joy. The workload is so much easier to handle, especially with how rough the first 6 weeks had been with life. It's so manageable that I have NO IDEA how I made it through the last 3 years being a full-time student. And with last year, I commuted on top of that. I seriously don't know how! If taking fewer classes each year wouldn't have put off graduation even more, I would have dumped the higher workload in a heartbeat. It has done wonders for alleviating stress.

You know what also did wonders for alleviating stress? A trip to the cabin! Friends of my mom own a cabin that they rent out all year long, and we always take at least two weekends there once a year. Usually October is so cold and shit, but it was actually really nice weather! And of course, there's no internet, so we were pretty much cut off. I just liked staying inside mostly and reading books. It helped get me out of my slump there, and oh I also watched the first season of Boy Meets World with my little brother and I was DYING. Some of these episodes are so ridiculously funny. We didn't do anything outside of the cabin except get food in town, but it was great!

I also was able to hang out with some friends for a bit! The third weekend in October was my best friend's wedding shower! I still abhor how much is going to be changing once she's married, but it was fun to see her so happy about the wedding. Even though I don't know her fiance very well, I know he's the one for her. I've never seen her so darn happy before. And she's also not someone who cries, and yet, she did when he proposed to her! :D Anyway! I went by myself and it was kinda awkward because I didn't really know anybody (and an old friend of mine came with her mom and kid, and that was... weird). But I did have fun! It just was a good reminder of how much things have changed and how I don't know if I really fit in with them anymore, or like I'm finally growing away from that. And it's a sad thing to think about. Change is hard.

But I saw my friend Andrea last weekend, and it was the best day ever! This woman and her husband were my old youth group leaders when I was in middle school, so she's been with me through a lot, especially angsty pre-teen Holly. We went to a volleyball game with her two oldest girls, and it was fabulous. I ignored my phone for the whole night (other than checking my friends' msgs once or twice), and I didn't realize how much I'd needed that until it was after midnight and I had to be going home. I didn't want to leave! There is such a huge age difference between us, but she's seriously my best friend in the whole world. And I always love hanging out with her and her family. It was the most perfect way to end the month of October! <3

So yeah, that's kinda been the last month or so for me. Oh! And I also celebrated my little brother's 15th birthday with the family. I CANNOT BELIEVE HE IS FIFTEEN. WASN'T HE A BABY JUST A LITTLE BIT AGO? *SOBS* *rejects anything resembling change* *throws a fit that time is moving forward even though I don't want it to*

*****

So how was your October, guys? Do any fun things, love the weather, celebrate anything important? I wanna know! Let's talk! :)

5 comments:

  1. HI.

    1. I had NO idea that you had surgery recently! I am GLAD that you feel better and that everything went down okay!

    2. Fall in Michigan is GORGEOUS. Your campus looks BEAUTIFUL. It's actually been raining here a lot. It was raining like 10 mins ago.

    3. I follow you on twitter and even I didn't know you had 5 cats! THAT IS SO MANY. I wish I had that many. I want cats. ALSO I am so ridiculously happy for you that Ransom came back! I am also happy he is sticking around! I remember seeing that tweet and I was like to my roommate "ONE OF MY FRIEND'S/PEOPLE I KNOW's CAT CAME BACK AFTER BEING GONE" and then we were both happy for you because yes.

    4. My school works in such a way that I only have 3 classes a term but my work load is still insaneee. It's partially because I am taking all lit classes but also because this year I decided to not spend all my time in my room. *sigh* I am glad that you have had a lighter workload though! :)

    I am going to end this comment with this awkward sentence now.

    BYE.
    CAKE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy these more personal posts :)

    Fall is my favourite season too, it's so beautiful outside and also when it's not (the rain is never ending here in the UK) you have an excuse to stay inside all day reading!
    Those cats are so cute! I didn't realise you had five! I'm so glad to hear Ransom came back and also that you've been recovering well.
    Have a great day!

    Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/ya-shot-wrap-up-haul.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three things I absolutely adore in Fall are the colorful leaves EVERYWHERE, the rain (especially watching it from inside my dry room haha) and my birthday in November, but I detest cold weather, so my favorite season will always, always be Summer.
    I miiiiiight be one of the few who actually came here for the kittens and I'm not disappointed because they're SO ADORABLE! I have no words! I have four kittens and it always gives me a mini heart attack when one of my two favorite ones don't come home for WEEKS. I tell you, cats can be super-mean to us.
    I'm really glad you've recovered from your surgery and now feel much-much better. The pictures are gorgeous and I'd kill to spend some time in a cabin like that - it has such a (horror) movie feel to it - in the best possible way.
    I've been binge-watching tv-shows this October, too - 2 Broke Girls and Penny Dreadful - how I love both these shows! From shows that are currently on tv I watch Scream Queens, American Horror Story and How To Get Away With Murder.
    Hope your November will be even better than your September was. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO I ALREADY KNEW ABOUT ALL OF THIS BECAUSE I STALK YOUR LIFE. And you tell me. Everything. AND OMG IT IS RANSOMMMMMM. I want a cat. Need to take some allergy pills. yes.

    I am so glad you are pain free. I hated that you were in such pain in September, it made me really sad :(

    BUT YOU ARE OKAY NOW. AND YOU ARE HAPPY. AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS. NOW GIVE ME CAKE

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sunset picture is so PRETTY. And . . . your DOES look flat. My mom and I were talking about Michigan the other day (since you mentioned how cold it was, I wanted to ask her since she's from there). She said I would hate it there because of the cold and the fact that there are hills but not really many mountains. :D

    KITTIES. That was so rude of Ransom to leave for three months, but yay for him coming back!

    I have three classes (two on campus, one online) this term too! I'm still technically a full term student at my college because I'm taking 12 credits, but I agree. It's so manageable!

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3