Saturday, November 7, 2015

The NaNoWriMo Tag

I first saw this tag on Bekka's blog, but it was created by Kristina Horner on Youtube! Since I'm doing NaNo FOR REAL this time, I thought it'd be fun to do a tag that's all about the National Writing month.

*****

1. How many times have you done NaNoWriMo?
Well, if we don't count my one day failed attempt at Camp this past summer (or April?), this is my first time participating in NaNo!

2. How did you first find out about NaNoWriMo?
It was a long time ago, actually. I remember my cousin Ethan once mentioning writing a book in a month in November, and I was like: what's NaNo? I didn't think about it again until I started blogging, and I don't know why I only decided to do it now. But all of the excitement and enthusiasm for it made me want to really try this time.

3. What was the name of the first novel you attempted with NaNo?
Apparently I did Camp NaNo in April...? That was titled "That NA One" because I'm super creative. I could swear I tried in July, though.. Anyway, I love this book but it's a long way off. It's so vivid in my mind, but I'm setting it aside for awhile.

4. Give us a 1 sentence summary of what you’re writing this year.
Well hey, this is perfect since my summary on the site IS only one sentence long. "It's about a girl who executes a plan of revenge that changes the world as she knows it, a warrior with a chilling secret, and a scary truth they unravel together. cat: YA." 

5. What’s the best writing advice you’ve ever been given?
"You don't have to write every day." And you DON'T. If you need a break, if you need a day to step away from your WIP, then do it! You don't have to write every single day to be a writer or an author. Sometimes coming back to it after one day or even a few gives you a new perspective and better insight. And if you skip a day, it doesn't make you LESS of a writer. Do what works for YOU, and don't worry about everyone else.

6. Did you ever take a year off from NaNo? Why?
I took several years off! Haha. I don't even know why, except for the last 3 years, I was busy with college and November was always a hellish time with classes to spend it writing for fun.

7. What's your biggest inspiration when figuring out what to write?
The inspiration can come from anywhere, at any time. Sometimes it's a song, a book I'm reading that sparks an idea, the moment between sleep and awake dreaming where I think about all the shit in life. I don't just sit around and brainstorm: oh, this would make a good novel idea. They come to me in pieces, and then I have to figure out where to go from there. For example, my Blood Warriors WIP (my NaNo one), appeared so suddenly in my mind one day. I had this idea of a race of warriors who paid for their supernatural abilities with their blood. And then that led to a story where my MC was born, the blood payment was only part of the secret, and a revenge plot would be THAT MOMENT that would change everything.

8. Read us the first sentence from one of your novels.
I'll give you the one from my current NaNo WIP: "Anaya stood at the window and looked out into the distance." Not a very exciting hook, but I'm not good at those.

9. Why do you love writing?
I love writing because I can't imagine not doing it. I've always had an active imagination, and I've always been a storyteller (but using my words, not my voice). And it's like a thing in my family. My mom self-publishes books and is a huge inspiration to me. My cousins write stories, and we share them with each other from time to time. Most of my relatives read. And, I don't know, it's just always been there. It's a passion that has never gone away. And I think I would go crazy if I never had an outlet where I could pour out all of these ideas and characters and scenes.

For fun, here are my stats so far!
I'm not hitting my target anything, but I refuse to let that discourage me! I WILL make 50k this month, or so help me.

*****

If you're doing NaNo, I TAG YOU! I want to hear about YOUR story. :)

6 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you are ACTUALLY DOING NANO THIS YEAR. I always wanted to ACTUALLY WRITE SOMETHING....but ugh I don't know. I never was a storyteller, more of an analyzer. Hence why I'm in college, writing papers. BUT ONE DAY. I will have the time to write 50k words....in a year or something.

    BUT LOOK AT YOU WRITING. SO PROUD. I'm very jealous that you have this amazing story fleshed out and it's motivating you to keep on writing it hahaha. AND IT SOUNDS FREAKING AWESOME. Dibs on an ARC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Holly this sounds so exciting!!!! I can't wait to one day *fingers crossed* be able to read your book! Sorry it didn't work out for you for the NaNocamp but that's ok! I'm rooting for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, looks like you're getting the of NaNoWriMo. This is my first year, and I'm ONLY done with 12,000 words, which is scary. Best of luck for completing your novel, it sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was cool to hear about your writing! I knew you loved to write, but didn't know many details beyond that. I like the sound of your WIP--mainly because of the revenge part. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I've been dying to do this tag, I was hoping someone would bring it to the blogging world from YouTube. I'll have to do this now.

    I LOVE that advice. All you hear, all the time it seems, is that you have to write every day. I write most days but sometimes I feel a little like a fake because I don't write every single day, sometimes I'm just...burnt out. I'm also loving the one-sentence summary of your book, I'm in love with this idea of the paying with blood thing. I hope writings going well, Holly!

    Also, I'm super jealous that you come from a family of writers (in a way)! I'm super lucky in that my family fully supports my writing dreams and is a family of readers but I do wish sometimes that they got the actual technical writing side of things.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3