Saturday, November 21, 2015

Thieves and Heists: Six of Crows Review

Title: Six of Crows (The Dregs, #1)
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Publisher: Henry Holt and Company
Release Date: September 29th, 2015!
*I received a copy of this from Macmillan at BEA.

From Goodreads...

Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

A convict with a thirst for revenge.


A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.


A runaway with a privileged past.


A spy known as the Wraith.


A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums. 


A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes. 


Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.



My Review!
Well, it’s been 4 months since I read and finished Six of Crows, so I think it’s about time I reviewed it. Or at least, TRY to. I still remember a lot about it, which is great, but I don’t remember everything. So I hope I can still do this book justice, especially since over the course of those weeks, I’ve thought about it often. And even started to reread it before its release date, but then I got into a really bad slump, and I sort of gave up on it. But I do want to reread it again, SOON, because it’s so worth the second look.

I LOVED Leigh Bardugo’s trilogy, even with my lukewarm feelings toward Siege and Storm. I thought the ending to it was perfect; I adored the characters. I fell in love with the way she wrote, how she detailed everything and made it feel as if the world was real. And I was there. That didn’t change at all in this companion; it was just a whole other area to such a fascinating world, one that I never knew about. Ketterdam is super different, yet also really similar, to Ravka. And this book can totally stand on its own; you don’t have to read The Grisha Trilogy first. I do recommend it, just because it’ll give you so much background toward the places, and it even references two people, I think, from the other series. But it’s definitely not required. And I really liked that Six of Crows didn’t need to be read after the trilogy. It was easy to separate what was happening in this, to what had happened before. And it was easy to fall in love with a new set of characters.

Not that it was hard to fall for them. Not. At. All. If anything, these characters are so much easier to love than the ones in the trilogy. And not because they’re better, or more likable (lolol this makes me laugh), but because there is just something about them that make my heart happy and give me so many feels. I fell HARD for them all, but especially Kaz Brekker. It’s no secret that I love my broken bad boys, that I love the guys who are damaged and hurtful but who have softer sides to them. But he’s so much more than that. His background shaped who he is, pushed him in so many ways, and became the driving force that turned him into the best thief in Ketterdam. And when you start to get to know him, beyond the manipulations and calculated ways in which he keeps his emotions in check and the thirst for power, you start to see exactly who he is. Not just a thief or a conman or a, let’s be honest, a jerk. But someone who is just trying to survive in the only way he knows how to.

I see that, and so does Inej. <3 She is, aside from Kaz, my favorite of the characters. Inej is a true badass, a boss queen who makes people bow down to her. I love this girl so much, and I just love that she’s so powerful on her own. That she doesn’t need anybody to save her. She is intelligent, quick on her feet, and deadly. She’s the heroine of her own story, a story that I NEED more background on since I feel like we still don’t know her completely. But I loved the way she took control of her life, the way she didn’t settle for anything less than what she deserved, even when she knew it could cost her. Her feelings for Kaz weren’t like a big deal; they were just a part of her. She didn’t need romance or a guy to save her. And I needed that, because I feel like that doesn’t happen often in YA books. The Wraith has such huge importance in this book, and I cannot wait for more of her. She is that AWESOME.

The rest of the characters, Jesper, Wylan, Nina, and Matthias, all have big roles in the book as well. And I loved them too, but Kaz and Inej just hold my heart. Anyway, onto the others. Jesper is hilarious! He’s a sharpshooter who just lightens up the tense situations (which makes him a little stereotypical, being THAT character, the comedic one), but he’s not. He’s more than he appears, and he’s not afraid of just being himself. *le sigh* I sure do love that guy. And so does someone else. *cough* Wylan, the privileged runaway, doesn’t get as much time on the pages as everyone else (and if I recall, he also doesn’t even get a POV). But that’s okay, because I have a feeling he’ll have a larger role in the sequel. Also, he’s adorable, so we’ll keep him. :D Nina (the Heartrender) and Matthias (the convict) had a bit of a history before this, so the sexual tension and unresolved issues between them was played to perfection. I adored how they weren’t a couple, but they were basically.

The whole cast made for such fun and heartwarming dialogue in-between all of the action. And there is A LOT of action, but the beginning is pretty slow. Leigh builds up the world carefully, and so detailed that it can make for a boring start (which I’ve heard from several people). But I was actually hooked from the beginning, and I think the largest part in why I love this book so much is because of the characters. They really make the story come alive, with all of their differences and backgrounds and personalities. The multi-POV is never a problem, because they’re all so unique, (and the 3rd person narrative does make it easier to tell them apart, but I digress). Throughout the story, the characters are put to the test, and I just went crazy for the plot. The heist storyline had me intrigued, and I couldn’t wait to see how it all came together. But man, that ending is a fucking killer and I am DYING for the sequel because I just have to know what happens to my beloved characters!

Well. This was surprisingly easy to write, even after 4 months. So I think that goes to show just how much of an impact Six of Crows made on me.  All I want is to dive back into this, but I’m gonna make myself wait until closer to the sequel’s release date. But guys, this book is brilliant. It is rich and real and heartbreaking and funny and holy mother of God I just love this misfit group of characters SO much. <3 This is probably making me sound really crazy, but I JUST HAVE A LOT OF FEELINGS FOR THEM OKAY PEOPLE?!

RATING:
    

2 comments:

  1. Aww I absolutely can't wait to finally get my hands on this novel! I've already ordered it and now am eagerly waiting for it arrive - let me tell you, I'm NOT a patient person. The characters sound super-good and I also heard from various bloggers that shipping them like crazy is inevitable. Haha, you don't sound crazy... and if you are, then so our most book bloggers, including me. :D
    Amazing review! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely review, Holly! I'm starting this book SOON. I just.. really want to meet these characters! I keep hearing such great things. I'm glad you loved it. I haven't read the Grisha trilogy, but I'm so so intrigued by this world.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make me smile. :) Seriously. Even if you comment on the post weeks or months later, it makes my day! So don't hesitate to leave your thoughts even if it's been a long time since the post was published. I'll try to reply to you, especially if you ask a question, but sometimes life happens. But I do read and appreciate every single one of them because I know how hard it can be to find the time or energy to comment. So a heartfelt THANK YOU for brightening my day when you do. <3