Thursday, December 31, 2015

The 2015 End of Year Survey

It's the end of the year, so that means it's time to reflect on what my year looked like in reading! So I'm doing Jamie's End of Year survey again. And, disclaimer: these were about the books I READ in 2015. If they were published in other years, that didn't matter to me. Also, clearly I like cheating. :D

*****

2015 Reading Stats!
Number Of Books You Read: 117, currently (will be 118 by midnight)
Number of Re-Reads: 8
Genre You Read The Most From: a mix of fantasy and contemporary

Best in Books!
1. Best Book You Read In 2015?
Backlist: The Scorpio Races
2015 Release: Six of Crows and Play On! (I can't decide, I just can't)

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Falling Kingdoms and Fangirl. Both were a HUGE disappointment, especially Rainbow Rowell's. Man, I wanted to love it, but I just... didn't.

 3. Most Surprising Book?
The Fixer. I was really surprised by how much I loved this book!
Dissonance, also. Freaking enjoyed this book, and I didn't think I would honestly.
  
 4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
Probably The Kiss of Deception! I think there were quite a few people who read it based on my recommendation or, more accurately, my constant fangirling (and there was definite pushing on some of them. Haha).

 5. Best Series You Started? Best Sequel? Best Series Ender?
Series Starter: Six of Crows, hands down!
Sequel: The Heart of Betrayal. YEAH BABY!
Series Ender: Ruin and Rising! So, so perfect.

 6. Favorite New Author You Discovered?
 Mindy McGinnis and Emery Lord! Love these ladies' books A LOT.

7. Best Book from a Genre You Don’t Typically Read/Was Out of Your Comfort Zone?
A Madness So Discreet! Historical fic isn't usually my thing, but boy, I might have to change that after reading this book!

 8. Most Action-Packed/Thrilling/Unputdownable Book of the Year?
Illuminae! I seriously couldn't put it down. I think I read it early in the night and finished around 6 a.m. Also definitely action-packed and thrilling!

 9. Book You Read That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
The Scorpio Races! I'm actually already planning the reread since I still want to review it but don't know if I can now that it's been 4 months since I've read it. Plus it deserves a second look. So obviously a reread is in order, in either way.

10. Favorite Book Cover?

11. Most Memorable Character?
 Kaaaaaaaaaz, but also lol Sturmhond too. (I just love Leigh's characters a lot, okay).

 12. Most Beautifully Written Book?
Salt to the Sea. The writing is just gorgeous, and goddamn, this book is beautiful. Heartbreaking, gun-wrenching, but beautiful.

13. Most Thought-Provoking/Life-Changing Book of 2015?
 Play On by Michelle Smith. It's been a long, LONG time since a book has hit me so hard, that has been so much exactly what I never knew I needed to read. So much of my life was reflected in it, making it super relatable to me.
Also All the Rage. It made me think so much about society, rape culture, and how we view women and their place. It made me angry, but also glad that I'm a feminist.

 14. Book You Can’t Believe You Waited UNTIL 2015 to Finally Read?
Throne of Glass. Though I didn't *love* it, I really enjoyed the story and adored the characters. I'm excited to continue! I still can't believe it took me so long to freaking read it, too. 

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2015?
Romantic:
"I will not be your weakness, Sean Kendrick." "It's late for that, Puck." -Scorpio Races

Life:
"You are the only person who can build emotional barriers, but you're also the only person who topple them. Other people can't knock down the walls you've built, no matter how much they love you. You have to tear them down yourself, because there's something worth seeing on the other side." -Open Road Summer

*for full list: see TTT*

16. Shortest & Longest Book?
Shortest: The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde @ 92 pages.
Longest: Illuminae @ 599 pages.

 17. Book That Shocked You The Most?
Black Iris. This whole book was kinda shocking, tbh.
Corrupt. HOLY FREAKING HELL THIS BOOK.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR?
Kaz and Inej. MY BABIES.

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Vic and Reagan - Just Visiting
Reagan and Dee - Open Road Summer

20. Favorite Book from an Author You’ve Read Previously
Tessa Ever After by Brighton Walsh.

21. Best Book That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
 Faking Normal! Kaitlin rec'd this one to me, and I freaking LOVED it.

22. Newest Fictional Crush?
 hi, Kaz. but also helloooooo Jason *heart eyes emoji*
from Six of Crows and Tessa Ever After

23. Best 2015 Debut You Read?
The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh!! MY FAVE EVER. SHAZI & KHALID. <333
Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon. Though I wasn't quite happy with the end product, I still highly enjoyed it!

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Uprooted by Naomi Novik. So, so vivid and imaginative and such lovely writing and omg what a FANTASTICALLY built world.

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
The Girl at Midnight. The banter between the characters had me cackling like a hyena throughout. Plus it was just so much fun to read!
Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda. This was such a cute, adorable read and Simon was such a cute, adorable MC who made me smile.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry?
 Ugly cried in All the Bright Places, Play On, and Salt to the Sea. I'm such a baby when it comes to books.

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
 Play On! I don't know if this one would ever have gotten on my radar if it hadn't been for Meredith. I signed up for a Katie McG-type of story WITH BASEBALL and what I got was everything I never knew I wanted in a story.
Naked by Stacey Trombley. This was such a quiet debut that needs way, way more attention! 

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
A Darker Shade of Magic by Victoria Schwab. HOW DARE THIS BOOK. HOW. DARE.

29. Most Unique Book You Read?
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I mean, what even is this book?

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad?
Unteachable by Leah Raeder. Just, no. Fucking no with this book. It was a mess, and I haaaaated it.


Your Blogging/Bookish Life!
1. New Favorite Book Blog You Discovered?
 Sarah @ Kerosene Lit! I love her posts and her personality. So glad we've "met" on here and that we can fangirl over Killian and OUAT together!
Inge @ Whimsicality - not a book blog, but one of my FAVES ever! She focuses on mental health, which I think is SO important.

2. Favorite Review That You Wrote?
I think it's the one I wrote for The Heart of Betrayal. I freaking love this series, and this book, and I'm really proud of this review.

3. Best Discussion/Non-Review Post You Had On Your Blog?
You Can't Sit With Us. I wrote about making friends and socializing within this community, and it was the first post that ever got so much attention from people. 

4. Best Event That You Participated In?
Book Expo of America. What a glorious event that!
The Lunar Ball. One of my close friends and I took a road trip up north for the Marissa Meyer signing, and it was SO. MUCH. FUN!

5. Best Moment of Bookish/Blogging Life?
Meeting Val and Shannon IRL in New York. <333 I love these girls so much, and I'm super glad we became friends and went to BEA together. Sharing that experience with them was amazing, and I cannot wait for round 2 in Chicago, with Amber too this time.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog?
Is Twitter Replacing Blog Interaction? This is based mostly on comments. I don't think a discussion of mine has EVER gotten as many replies from people. It made me so happy to see that, esp from first timers to my blog!

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I'm Not a Marketing Tool: I was really proud of this post, but it didn't get the views or comments I thought it would. I was hoping it'd be more relatable for people, but. I still stand by everything I said, and I'm going back to blogging for ME in 2016.

9. Best Bookish Discovery?
Evie's store. Her designs are my FAVES. I want them all. Evie, keep making beautiful designs. JUST TAKE ALL MY MONEY.

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I breezed past my Goodreads challenge of 100 two whole months early! I also FINALLY completed a Bookish Bingo board. It was the summer edition, and I was super proud of it.


Looking Ahead!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get to In 2015 But Will Be Your #1 Priority in 2016?
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. Also her Lumatere series now that I finally have all of the books!

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating for 2016?
THE RAVEN KING. MAKE WAY FOR THE RAVEN KING. 

3. 2016 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
The Girl from Everywhere and Ivory and Bone. :)
*full list: see TTT*

 4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2016?
Series Enders: The Raven King and The Beauty of Darkness. Two of my all-time fave series, and they're both coming to an end in 2016. FOREVER CRYING.
Sequel: A Gathering of Shadows. Loved the first book and cannot WAIT for more!

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2016?
Bring ARC count down to 0 on NetGalley! I *WILL* DO THIS.

6. 2016 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend to Everyone:
Firsts! It's gotten such polarizing reactions so far, but I think it's worth a try. :) I also freaking loved Passenger and Paige in Progress!

*****

If you did the End of Year Survey too, feel free to link me up! I'd love to blog hop and see what books made everyone else's lists. :)