Tuesday, February 23, 2016

(51) Top Ten Books on My TBR That Aren't in My Typical Genre

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's topic: Ten Book I Enjoyed Recently (last yearish) That Weren't My Typical Genre/Type of Book (or that was out of your comfort zone)...

As you can tell, I twisted the prompt. For these 3 genres, I rarely read from them, so I would definitely not have had 10. So I decided to talk about some books I WANT to read that I don't typically reach for because I'm not a big fan of the genre. :) (Though I am slowly getting more and more into hist fic that isn't fantasy or not WWII set!)

*****

Middle Grade

Some Kind of Happiness by Claire LeGrand: Ever since I've heard of this one, I've wanted it. It sounds amazing. I especially love that it deals with mental illness, so I'm excited to see what Claire does here. :) I also really want to read Foxheart! I think that one's coming out in 2017, and obviously because it's my namesake, I must have it.

Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi: Since I love the Shatter Me series so much, I know I'll HAVE to at least try this one when it comes out in August. I really loved her writing, so I have a feeling I'll enjoy it.

Flights, Chimes, and Mysterious Times by Emma Trevayne: Honestly I was sucked in by that cover. haha. But I still want to read it because it looks so whimsical and magical and fun.

Historical Fiction

Under a Painted Sky by Stacey Lee: Oregon Trail? GIMME. I've heard nothing but amazing things about this book, and I cannot wait to read it. Also really excited about Outrun the Moon as well!

The Forbidden Orchid by Sharon Biggs Walker: I really, really enjoyed A Mad, Wicked Folly, so I know I like her writing. And this sounds so good!

The Passion of Dolssa by Julie Berry: I've been excited about this one since I've heard of it! I have a copy thanks to the wonderful Val, and I can't wait to start it.

A Tyranny of Petticoats edited by Jessica Spotswood: This is actually like a double whammy, since I don't ever read anthologies and hist fic isn't usually my genre. But omg some of the authors on this are fabulous, and I want to read ALL the stories.

Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman: I've never read any of her books, and tbh I'm more interested in this one anyway. It sounds awesome!

Nonfiction

Quiet by Susan Cain: I borrowed this one from Val a long time and still have yet to read it. Nonfiction is definitely not the genre I like, but I have a good feeling about this one. Also it's about being an introvert so YESSSS.

SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome by Mary Beard: so here's a funny thing, I love history and learning about it, but I don't read nonfiction of it. Because it's generally... boring? I really want to start though, and this one sounds very interesting!

*****

Are there any books on your TBR that aren't typically what you read? Are you excited to read any of these too? :)