Saturday, February 27, 2016

From the Den: February Edition

From the Den is a feature to showcase the books that I don't post reviews for on the blog, whether I liked them or not. I read so many books that never make it onto The Fox's Hideaway, so I wanted a feature where I could still tell y'all about them. :)

*****

Fairest
I  definitely liked the insight into Levana's character and the background of the time before The Lunar Chronicles started, but it wasn't what I'd been expecting. So I'm kinda disappointed in that regard, especially since I felt like the author was TRYING to make us sympathize with her but failed big time. I looooved the moments with young Winter and Jacin though. <3 And Channary was a cunning and psychotic character who was more of a villain to me than Levana. Honestly I feel like Levana was more mentally ill than anything, and she did grow up in a wicked household that abused and neglected her. She has ISSUES. But again, I don't sympathize with her.
Rating: 3.5 Paw Prints!


A Mad, Wicked Folly
This took me a long time to finish, but I'd like to attribute that to the fact that I don't read much true historical fiction often (also my mood was all over the place). I really, really enjoyed this one! I am all for books that empower women, and this one did just that! I loved that Vicky, the main character, didn't conform to society's expectations. I loved that she found her voice and fought for herself and her rights in a time where women didn't have many. I loved that she joined the suffragettes' movement and decided to go after her dreams even when it costed her so much. I also really liked that this felt like historical fiction; so many details and little things that made me feel as I were THERE in 1909 London. This book was just FABULOUS, guys. You should all read it!
Rating: 4 Paw Prints!


DNF @ 24%
Eyes Ever to the Sky
*NG backlist book, eARC kindly provided by the author via NetGalley*
I tried, but I just could NOT with this book. Most of the characters were pissing me off. Their characterizations felt dramatic, overdone, and even a bit stereotypical. Also, all the fat comments? Not cool. There were many comments in that 24% that talked about Cecelia's best friend's weight (she's "fatter" and very vulgar, which I felt was over-the-top). I'm not enjoying the high school shit, nor the relationship between Cece and her mother. I also just don't like her, Cecelia. I'm not a fan of her voice, nor her 'woe is me' attitude. There are a few POVs that are confusing me because they are just random people? The only POV I was interested in was Hugh's, because he actually had something going on that wasn't boring. But I have a feeling his story will end up a being superpower one, so I don't even know if there's a point to keep reading to figure out the "mystery" here. And I guess Cecelia may be involved with that as well? idk, but I don't care enough to find out.

*****

Have you read any of these? If so, what did you think of them?! :)