Thursday, February 4, 2016

Snark from the Ark: Wanheda Part II

A new episode of The 100 means a new recap from myself, Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight, Amber @ YA Indulgences, and sometimes Val @ The Innocent Smiley. And I'm hosting it today!! :D Get yourself ready for tonight's episode with a quick refresher! 

*****

New Characters
  • Roan: I love him an unhealthy amount already, and I don’t care. I LOVE HIM. At first, all he is to us is a bounty hunter who tries to kill Clarke, who tries to kill him. It’s obviously a great relationship starter. And I’m not talking romance. I think Clarke and Roan will make a fabulous team, and THEY WANT REVENGE AGAINST LEXA YES and I just want more scenes of the two of them together. And omg I just love Roan. I kept thinking throughout the episode that I hoped he would be in more episodes, and NOW HE’S A MAJOR PLAYER IN THIS SEASON AND I’M SO EXCITED. Helloooooo, Prince Roan of the Ice Nation.

  • Pike: This dude makes me nervous, I don’t trust him. In the beginning of the episode, our team consisting of Monty, Bellamy, Indra, and Kane are stopped by a tree and think they’re going to get ambushed by Grounders. And then we meet Pike and other survivors of the Ark. Pike is clearly the leader of this group, a teacher turned gunman who hates the Grounders with the fire of a thousand suns, and who I believe will ruin this tentative peace between them and the Sky people. I can see him starting another war, and I get that because the Ice Nation killed the kids who wanted to play in the snow, and they’ve never been anything close to allies. But Pike sees all Grounders as one thing: a threat to their survival. And that attitude is going to cost them later on, I’m sure of it.

  • Monty’s mom: A happy-making scene between Monty and the mother he never thought he’d see again was really nice to see. Except, it’s not completely happy as Monty’s dad died, and then the somber mood is back, creating a stark reminder that the peace they have with the Grounders is fragile, and that their people have been through so much.

A Virtual Reality
I’m sorry, but I don’t give a shit about this storyline at all. And it confuses the hell out of me. So Alie’s perfect plan, her perfect paradise, is a virtual reality? idk, I haven’t really been paying attention to it, except for Murphy because his sass makes me happy and I miss it. More sassy!Murphy please.
(None of us really know. It's an interesting storyline to be sure, but I'm over it right now).

An Epic Bellarke Reunion
AND IT WAS VERY EPIC INDEED, PEOPLE. All of those tiny moments, from Bellamy seeing Clarke for the first time through the scope of his rifle, to him stealing a Grounder outfit and going out in the middle of army to save her, just absolutely destroyed me. No matter if you ship them or not, you can’t deny the amazing chemistry they have when they’re in the same scenes together. You cannot deny the amount of feeling and emotions tumbling out of the both of them as Bellamy found her in that ruin and smiled and touched her hair and tried to save her from Roan. And then, Kane, Pike, Monty, and Monty’s mom find him stabbed, hurt, and still trying to get to Clarke even though he literally cannot move very well and clearly will not be any help to her. You know what, maybe they’ll NEVER become lovers, but they certainly have one of the best relationships on TV. (*cough* but I refuse to believe there will be no romance *cough*). Shannon and I freaked out about the Bellarke moments for a little bit, while Amber was probably rolling her eyes so hard and thinking about how much she hates the idea of them getting together. <--HEARTLESS UNFEELER, in Shannon's words. :p jk we can agree to disagree about things. Or all things, if it concerns The 100, specifically Jasper, Bellarke, and Lexa.


A “Friendly” Face
Hello, it’s me. I was wondering if after all these years you’d like to meet, to go over everything…

Who called Lexa showing up at the end? NOT ME. I actually wasn’t even thinking about her, but then there she was, telling Clarke that she was trying to keep her safe (maybe?? I can’t remember much of their conversation, tbh). AND THEN CLARKE SPITS IN HER FACE AHAHAHAHA. I also saw in next week’s episode that Clarke and Roan want revenge, and I’m assuming it’s against Lexa? Want.
Okay, so I will admit *mumbles* that I could dislike Lexa because she is a potentially dangerous obstacle that will keep Bellarke from happening. I get really intense about my OTPs, and I hate it when they’re not even in the same episodes together. And I just cannot believe that after all of this, after all of the layers the writers have built up between Clarke and Bellamy, that it won’t be endgame. So I don’t completey hate Lexa. I think she’s ruthless and self-serving, but you can tell she cares about Clarke, and her people. And you know what, she DID turn her back on the alliance because it would help her people and their survival is her #1 priority. But to Clarke, that was a betrayal, and that’s something that will affect any potential romance between them. It’s not about Lexa being a cunning leader, because you could say Clarke is the same, and her people take priority too. But I don’t believe Clarke would ever have done that to Lexa. We spent quite a bit of time talking about the love-triangle-that-isn't-really-a-love-triangle. It's been very subtle now, but I have a feeling it'll have a bigger part in this season, especially now that Clarke will be able to confront Lexa. So it’ll be interesting to see where their relationship goes. And I’m curious about Lexa. I still don’t know much about her, and I want to!

Those were the main highlights I took away from this episode, but I also wanted to mention how badly I want to meet the Ice Queen. I CANNOT WAIT. Also that scene with Octavia and Jasper in the mountain? Totally unfair! How dare the writers make me have feelings for Jasper when I want to feel nothing for him at all. I'm still tired of his 'woe is me' attitude, okay. (I also never really liked him, probably because that "Harper is low-hanging fruit" comment from season 1 still pisses me off when I think about it). 

My friends and I also talked a lot about the show and its characters and how morally complex everyone and everything is. Nothing about this is black and white; the gray area is where everyone lives.
I think this show is doing so much good with its characters and how it portrays them. The characters are my favorite part of it, hands down. (Okay, maybe #2, because you know Bellarke is my life). :p

*****

Check out these other great recaps that go into more depth about certain elements of the show or characters:
Hypable decided to take an in-depth look into Murphy's character
Meg @ Cuddlebuggery's recap/long analysis that is just so much fun to read. 

*****

SO WHAT DID YOU GUYS THINK OF THE EPISODE?!?! :)