Thursday, February 25, 2016

The NetGalley Backlist (1)

After being on NetGalley for almost 3 years, I've racked up a pretty high backlog of books I haven't read yet. I know, it IS terrible, and I do kinda feel bad (but also not that much since I started my 'for review consideration' policy halfway into those 3 years). ANYWAY. I have a huge backlist that needs to be knocked down, so I thought I'd make a personal goal of reading AT LEAST two books (from the very beginning on NG) a month. Obviously, I kinda failed at that in January, but I did get started on it! And here are the ones I read in the last two months. :)

*****

Gated
I’ve had this one from NetGalley for so long, so when I decided to make it my personal challenge to get through my backlist on that website, this one was the first on my list. And I’m happy to say that I really enjoyed it! I wasn’t sure what I was expecting, but apparently I had thought this was some kind of dystopian, but it actually isn’t? LOL that was surprising. I find the psychology and mentality behind cults fascinating, so I really appreciated the way this one was written. I liked the main character’s voice a lot, and it felt very realistic; this girl who is starting to think more for herself and who is starting to question everything she’s been led to believe, but who still wants to be accepted and to be a part of the community. I could have done with a bit more development on the relationships side, but this was a pretty fast-paced story that led up to a fairly intense ending, so there wasn’t much time spent on more than Lyla’s immediate story. Gated was an intriguing look at what it’s like living inside of a cult, and what it does to those who think for themselves. And I’m very curious to see where the sequel goes!
Rating: 3.5 Paw Prints!


DNF @ 58%
Secret for a Song
I am just so BORED. Like honestly, I was really enjoying this at the beginning, but now I find myself pushing it off for other books, so I know I won't finish it. It's not a bad book, but I just don't care about anything going on, or the characters. And that's bad, because they're all dying except for the main character. I haaaate that Saylor is lying to them, and I do not feel any sympathy for her in this regard. I want to, but I don't, because she is taking advantage of terminally ill patients. I know she has a disorder (and I liked that she's been in therapy and you know this probably would be a good story ABOUT mental illness), but I can't find it in me to keep going and see if the author does this well. And I just cannot stand the fact that she is STILL lying to these wonderful people. I understand why she's fascinated by them (I mean they're sick without even having to try, which is something she wishes for), and why she's become friends with them (they treat her like she's someone worthy of being around, which is not something she's had in forever), but no. Saylor has a lot of issues she needs to work through, and I wish there was more focus on that instead.

*****

Have you read either of these books? If so, what did you think of them?