Tuesday, March 15, 2016

March Madness: The Hidden Twin by Adi Rule

Today for March Madness, I'm super stoked to be sharing a top ten list ALL about fictional relationships from Adi Rule. Her sophomore novel, The Hidden Twin, is releasing on the 22nd this month! And it sounds so good! But before I share this fun list with y'all, I wanted to give you a bit more information about the book! :)

*****

Title: The Hidden Twin
Author: Adi Rule
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release Date: March 22nd, 2016!

From Goodreads...
For eighteen years a girl with no name, a Redwing, has been hidden away in a small attic room within a city of hissing pipes and curving temples perched on the side of the great volcano, Mol, while her sister, Jey-identical except for her eyes-has lived her life in public as an only child. Their father had hoped the hidden girl would one day grow up to be a normal human girl and not the wicked creature mythology has promised, so he secretly spared her life as an infant.

But when she switches places with her sister, striking up a flirtation with the son of the Empress while working in the royal gardens and gets attacks by two suspicious priests on her journey home, she is forced to call forth fire to protect herself, unleashing her previously dormant powers and letting her secret out. She soon catches the attention of a cult with a thousand year old grudge as well as a group of underground rebels, both seeking her for their own gain. But when her sister goes missing and the Redwing uncovers a great plot to awaken Mol and bring fiery destruction upon them all, she is forced to embrace her powers.

In Adi Rule's new novel, The Hidden Twin, the girl with no name, must choose a name and a path for herself, drawing a line between myth and history to prove herself more than a monster if she is to save both her sister and her home.

*****

Thanks for having me into the Fox’s Hideaway, Holly (and happy birthday!). I’m delighted to be here talking about relationships. Okay, not like an advice column. I’ve unscientifically put together a list of my favorite fictional relationships of several different stripes. Let us know who you would nominate!

Lovey-Dovey
Howl and Sophie from Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
There’s so much to love about this book, but especially Howl (swoon) and Sophie (double swoon). Their slowly developing relationship is the height of adorable/infuriating. I tell myself it’s okay to yell when I’m reading.

Love/Hate
Thomas Becket and King Henry II from Becket by Jean Anouilh
Oh, this play. It rips your heart out. Becket and Henry have the bromance to end all bromances. Of course, Henry ruins everything by making Becket the Archbishop of Canterbury, putting the two of them at odds. Cue the angst, tears, soul-searching and hitmen.

Teacher and Student
Matilda and Miss Honey from Matilda by Roald Dahl
A moment that has stuck with me since I first read this book as a kid is when Matilda notices Miss Honey has margarine and not butter, and therefore realizes she’s poor. It’s a little thing, and only one of many indicators that Miss Honey lives quite close to the bone, but it’s that moment where we really start to see Matilda putting herself in someone else’s shoes. She and Miss Honey come to understand each other’s minds and hearts better than anyone else; it’s not a love story, but it’s a story about love.

Three’s a Crowd
Max de Winter, his new wife, and Rebecca from Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
The dead wife gets the title of the novel and the new wife doesn’t even get a name. This is the ghost story to end all ghost stories, and it doesn’t even have a ghost in it.

Partners in Crime
Mungojerrie and Rumpelteazer from Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats by T. S. Eliot
These two naughty kitties are the perfect destructive duo, climbing curtains and smashing glassware, each covering for the other, never quite getting caught. Also, they’re one of the songs in Cats, the greatest musical of all time according to my 6-year-old self. And, who are we kidding, my current self. *sings* Jellicle cats, come out tonight!

Hot Stuff
Zoe and Rhys from Treasure Keeper by Shana Abé
Tradition. Fancy clothes. Intrigue. Love. Lust. Dragons. People. People-dragons. The Drákon series by Shana Abé is spicy and glittery and dragony, and this one is maybe my favorite. Zoe is a smart, badass woman! Rhys is incorporeal! They’re in each other’s heads! Plus remember dragons? Sexy, sexy dragons. Ssssssss!

Sisters
Elinor and Marianne Dashwood from Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
I don’t have siblings, but I like to imagine that, with my hypothetical sisters, I would be both as practical and protective as Elinor and as sweet and honest as Maryanne. Ha ha ha! I kid. I would probably eat them. I suppose there’s a reason it’s . . . just me.

Getting to Know Each Other
David and the Phoenix from David and the Phoenix by Edward Ormondroyd
This story made me feel like I, as a child, might actually have something to offer a glorious (if crusty) mythological creature, should I encounter one in the woods behind my house. David and the Phoenix learn from, and are valuable to, each other -- what an audacious idea! (We have three well-worn copies of this book. My partner Mr. K and I each have copies from our childhoods, both of which were Weekly Readers that belonged to our dads, and I bought another copy for my classroom when I was teaching junior high. That’s not excessive, right?)

Opposites Attract
Harold the dog and Chester the cat from the Bunnicula series by James and Deborah Howe
Harold is entirely food-motivated. Chester is a neurotic mess who is this close to putting on the tinfoil hat. Together, they are all of us.

Perfect Couple
There has to be a Perfect Couple ranking, and our collective fantasies are riddled with them. But as this is my personal list, I think I’m going to wander over to television-land and nominate Ben and Leslie from Parks and Recreation. Right? RIGHT?

*****

Thanks so much for sharing this with us, Adi! Love/hate is my weakness in fiction, and I love opposites attract. And I just adore a great sister relationship. I'm also DEFINITELY going to have to move Howl's Moving Castle up on the TBR. :)

Next up tomorrow is the book involving the great-great-great-granddaughter of Sherlock Holmes and the great-great-great-grandson of John Watson.

***Don't forget to enter the giveaways!!!***