Tuesday, March 8, 2016

March Madness: Into the Dim by Janet B. Taylor

Today I'm super happy to be sharing a top ten from Janet Taylor, aaaaaall about badass women of history. A topic becoming a quick favorite of mine, and something that Janet knows a lot about given that she's a total history nerd (spoiler: so am I!). I loved learning more about these women, and I hope you do too! But first, here's a little bit more information about her debut book, Into the Dim. :)

*****


Title: Into the Dim (Into the Dim, #1)
Author: Janet B. Taylor
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Release Date: March 1st, 2016!

From Goodreads...
When fragile, sixteen-year-old Hope Walton loses her mom to an earthquake overseas, her secluded world crumbles. Agreeing to spend the summer in Scotland, Hope discovers that her mother was more than a brilliant academic, but also a member of a secret society of time travelers. Trapped in the twelfth century in the age of Eleanor of Aquitaine, Hope has seventy-two hours to rescue her mother and get back to their own time. Along the way, her path collides with that of a mysterious boy who could be vital to her mission . . . or the key to Hope’s undoing.


******
Hi Holly!

Thank you SO much for inviting me to come hang out with you guys today!

It’s been kind of a crazy few weeks, as you can imagine, but I’m so thrilled to be here with ya’ll!

So, I’m obviously a major history nerd, particularly English history. (Yep. I’m one of those annoying Americans Anglophile/Royalty geeks. I also love, LOVE to travel, particularly ‘across the pond’. So when I got ready to write my first book, I decided I wanted to combine my two loves, and take my readers along on a vacation adventure they couldn’t get from any travel agency.

The beach? Pfft, done to death.

The mountains? Two words—Shattered. Femur.

Nope. I decided that since it’s my book, I’d simply write about my own lifelong dream . . . travelling into the past.

One of the things I did for INTO THE DIM was weave real historical people into the Hope’s story. In this—book one of the series—I decided to write about my favorite historical badass chick, Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine.

And since I would SO love to see more YA hisfics/time travels based around real people and events, I thought I’d make a little top ten list of the ones I’d most like to read about!! Who would you like to learn more about? What historical character is your favorite??


TOP TEN HISTORICAL WOMEN I’D LIKE TO SEE MORE OF!

1) Maria Theresa, Holy Roman Empress of the Habsburg Dynasty. (Ruled 1740 to 1780) She was also Marie Antoinette’s mother, and married all SIXTEEN of her children into other royal houses! She’s the original QUEEN MAMA! 


2) Countess Elizabet Bathory (1560-1614)—AKA The Blood Countess—This Hungarian royal murdered dozens (maybe hundreds) of young peasant girls, drinking and bathing in their blood to keep her skin looking dewy-fresh. 


3) Queen Catherine of Aragon (1485-1536) 1st (and in my opinion, only TRUE) wife of Henry VIII. Before Anne Boleyn got her sharp, little cat claws in the King, he and Catherine were happily wed for over 20 years.


4) Catherine’s sister, Joanna of Castille (1479-1555) AKA Juana La Loca, this queen of Castille went stone-cold crazy when her hubby died, toting his rotting body all over Spain, sometimes sleeping with his corpse. 


5) Marie LaVeau (1794-1881) The beautiful Marie Laveau, was a Free Woman of Color, who became the most famous and powerful Voodoo Queen of New Orleans. 
And I would love to see Marie L take revenge on the heinous:


6) Delphine LaLaurie (1775-1842)--Born in New Orleans, LaLaurie maintained a prominent position in the social circles of New Orleans until April 10, 1834, when rescuers responding to a fire at her Royal Street mansion discovered bound slaves within the attic who showed evidence of torture over a long period. LaLaurie's house was subsequently sacked by an outraged mob of New Orleans citizens. 


7) {{OK-Not a “real” historical figure- but one I plan to write about someday}} Rhiannon, Celtic goddess of the moon, was a Welsh goddess. Rhiannon's name meant “Divine Queen” of the fairies. In her myths, Rhiannon was promised in marriage to an older man she found repugnant. Defying her family’s wishes, Rhiannon chose the mortal Prince as her future husband.


8) The Fox Sisters--were three sisters from New York who are considered the originators of the ‘medium’ or ‘Spiritualist’ craze of the 1800’s. Leah (1814–1890), Margaret (also called Maggie) (1833–1893) and Kate (also called Catherine) Fox (1837–1892).


9) Empress Elizabeth of Austria (AKA “Sisi” 1837-1898) Empress Elisabeth of Austria, known to her family as 'Sisi', belongs to a famous love story of European royalty. In 1853 the Emperor Franz Josef, the most eligible bachelor in Europe, fell in love with her at first sight when she was 15. They were married the next year. On the surface, it was a fairy-tale marriage, all the more poignant, with hindsight, because her tragic assassination in 1898, augured the twilight years of the Habsburg Empire.


10) ‘Young’ Queen Victoria of England (1819-1901) Ascending to the throne at only eighteen years old, Queen Victoria ruled the United Kingdom for nearly 64 years, the longest of any British monarch, except (since 2015) Elizabeth II. Victoria fell madly in love upon first meeting her royal cousin, Prince Albert. They had nine children together. She was only forty-two when he died, and wore mourning black the rest of her days. The age of this amazing woman’s reign is referred to as the ‘Victorian Era’.

Some of these women were good, while others were incredibly evil. But they are all fascinating in their own way and I’d love to see more written about them, especially their teen years. (Psst--I plan to write about several of them myself one day!).

Thank you so much for inviting me to be a part of your awesome March New Release Event! It’s been a blast!!

*****

Next up tomorrow is a birthday post from yours truly, and then on the 10th there will be a blog tour/March Madness post for Hamlet reimagining set in the 1920s. :D

****And don't forget to enter the giveaway!!! You could very well win this book!****