Friday, May 6, 2016

From the Den: April Edition

From the Den is a feature to showcase the books that I don't post reviews for on the blog, whether I liked them or not. I read so many books that never make it onto The Fox's Hideaway, so I wanted a feature where I could still tell y'all about them. :)

*****

The Darkest Corners
*eARC kindly provided by Random House Children's*

You know how sometimes you can’t tell if you’re actually liking a book or if you just want to get to the end so you can understand everything? That was The Darkest Corners for me. I think I liked the book, but most of it stemmed from me wanting desperately to get all the answers. The book was busy; there was so much going on. There were a few disturbing twists, but I never got the thrill and intensity that I should have. Mostly I found it unbelievable and pretty ridiculous of the main characters to go after a killer on their own. IT IS A STUPID IDEA, ALWAYS. I also didn’t care for Tessa. Her POV is just… sad. She’s kind of an emotionless robot, so it makes her voice one that doesn’t stand out, and one that makes it hard to care about what’s happening because she doesn’t seem to. This was an interesting story, and I got my mind blown by that ending, but that’s about it? I liked it, though.
Rating: 3 Paw Prints!

Season of Second Chances
This was such a cute, short little story. I'm a HUGE fan of Brighton's books, so I had no doubt that I would enjoy this. It was kind of perfect for me after reading such long and heavily detailed fantasy books. I really liked both of the main characters, and I thought their relationship was BELIEVABLE even though this is so short. The history they have together, the depth of passion, it all made for such a sweet and of course hot romance. I also adored Sophie, Logan's little girl, and how with Claire, the three of them fit together so well. Though I knew this would all work out, it didn't take away any of my enjoyment. I'm quite happy I read this.
Rating: 3.5 Paw Prints!

The Secret Daughter of the Tsar

*Physical review copy kindly provided by St. Martin's Press*

Meh. I didn't find this compelling at all. And I have no interest in the sequel, especially since Veronica's the main character, and I found her to be boring and whiny with a bland personality. The only story that truly had me interested was Charlotte's. Most of the book was in present-day Los Angeles, and I hurried through those chapters filled with Veronica's and Michael's weirdly unconvincing romance (seriously no chemistry between them, but I guess they fell in love with each other anyway?) so I could get back to Paris in WWII. There was a lot of telling in this book, as well, especially near the end. Since I had already figured out all of that (everything was pretty much simply laid out throughout the book that coming to conclusions wasn't that hard, so it took away a bit of the "mystery" surrounding the Romanov family), it was basically just filler to me. And I didn't think the multiple POVs had worked because it didn't leave you emotionally invested in any of the characters. I also wanted WAY more of the actual Romanovs. They were barely there in the story. I did like some of the characters (i.e. Charlotte and Luc, and Lena), but I felt like none of them were 3-dimensional people. Their characters were only there to serve one purpose: to get the readers to that ending. I understand how the three stories were needed to weave together the events of the past. But I still don't think it was done that well. The Secret Daughter of the Tsar really wasn't that gripping. 
Rating: 2.5 Paw Prints!

*****

Have you read any of these books yet? If so, what did you think of them?! :)