Thursday, June 2, 2016

Bookish Bingo: Spring 2016 Wrap-Up

Ahhh, for the second time ever, I HAVE CONQUERED BOOKISH BINGO!! 

*Second Chance: Stealing Snow by Danielle Paige
A long time ago, an author supported Hale, and I swore off her books. Okay not *completely* but I've always looked at her books in a negative light because of it. But, I wanted to give her a second chance. I sadly didn't like the book, but I gave it a good try!

*Set in Space: Gemina by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
I didn't love this one quite as much as Illuminae, but it was still as brilliantly crafted and intense and GAH. So much happened, I can't even.

*Non-Binary MC: The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson
This is the one I'm not sure about here. From what I've read, transgender fits into the non-binary identity. But I'm not 100% certain, and I'm worried about labeling the MCs wrong. So if I am NOT correct, do please let me know so I can take it off!

*Under 200 Pages: Season of Second Chances by Brighton Walsh
I have never NOT enjoyed a Brighton book and this was no different. It was super cute and sexy, and a nice read when I needed something light.

*Ugly Cover: Frostbite by Richelle Mead
I really don't like these old covers. Haha. And is that supposed to be Dimitri in the background? Or Mason? Hmm. I'm so glad they got a redesign, tbh! (Also I am not calling the girl on the cover ugly, but I just don't like seeing people's faces in general).

*Set Over 200 Years Ago: Ivory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
I really wish I'd loved this one. It wasn't that impressive or as epic as I'd expected it to be (so I think internal hype messed with my feelings on this one). It's definitely a prehistoric times-set book, but that was about the only thing I enjoyed about it.

*March, April, May Release: The Natural History of Us by Rachel Harris
I've read all of Rachel Harris' books to date (except for You're Still the One), and I think this was honestly her best yet. The dual POV/dual timeline worked SO well here, and I just loved these characters a lot.

*Criminals: A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
My criminal babies, I love them so much. <333

*Metallic Lettering: The Rose and the Dagger by Renee Ahdieh
I loved this just as much as the first, if not more! This series is one of my all-time faves, and I'm just so happy with how the duology ended. Khalid and Shazi 4eva.

*Based On a Real Event: The Secret Daughter of the Tsar by Jennifer Laam
This one was just so BLAH and MEH. Bland, one-dimensional characters, an undeveloped romance, a lukewarm mystery. I wanted to read this because it was about the Romanovs, and an alt-history where another child was born and escaped. But the book was just NOT captivating at all.

*Book Toward Another Challenge: Valley of Silence by Nora Roberts
I've been putting so much effort into the series-a-month reading challenge I'm doing, and this was my March (re)read. I love this series so fucking much. I can't ever let it go. (I also had other books I could've put here, but I wanted to showcase my fave :p).

*Green Cover: Some Kind of Happiness by Claire Legrand
If you've followed me for awhile, you'll notice I don't read and don't like MG. But I needed to read this one: magic + mental health? GIMME. And I fucking LOVED it. I think it's an important read, and I hope it gets into the hands of people who especially need it. It also made me really want to give MG a second chance. 

*Retelling: The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
This was a reread for me, and it was definitely worth taking the time for it because I missed important things the first time around, and I fell even more in love with this series and its characters.

*Set In More Than One Country: Blood Promise by Richelle Mead
This was one of the better books in this series, but I have a feeling I'd love Bloodlines more, so I'm REALLY looking forward to reading the spin-off. Especially because I'm totally an Adrian girl. :D

*Characters Are Not Human: The Vanishing Throne by Elizabeth May
This has quickly become a fave series of mine, and I AM DYING FOR THE 3RD BOOK! omg. These characters, the ship, the combination of historical and steampunk and fantasy? UGH SO FUCKING GOOD.

*Rec'd by More Than One Friend: Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
More than one friend pushed me to finish this series, and I'm so glad I did! While I didn't fall in love with it like I wanted to, I still largely enjoyed the books as a whole.

*Flowers On Cover: The Square Root of Summer by Harriet Reuter Hapgood
This book was SO confusing, but really good. I enjoyed it a lot, especially that it was much deeper than I had expected. It was a really nice story about grief, healing, and love. :)

*MC Shares Your 1st Initial: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
This was super cute and fun, and I'm glad that I read it even though it took me years to do that (literally years). also, do you know how hard it is to find a main character whose name starts with an H?? SO HARD! Thanks to Amber for letting me know about this one!

*Written Under a Pen Name: A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab
This was EVEN BETTER than ADSOM, and I hadn't thought it was possible! It's a slower series, carefully built and thoroughly explored, but it always leaves you wanting more. I'm desperate for the 3rd book, even though I'm terrified as hell about my faves dying (which is basically all of them, so I'm fucked).

*More Than One Author: A Tyranny of Petticoats edited by Jessica Spotswood 
I enjoyed the majority of these short stories. But I'm still not really a fan of anthologies, so I highly doubt I'll be reading many more of them in the future.

*End of the World: On the Edge of Gone by Corinne Duyvis
I really, really enjoyed this one! I loved the diverse representation in it (biracial MC, transgender character, etc), especially the autistic MC. I'd love for more books to feature autism in them. And I loved how none of it was a super Big Deal and was just part of the story. (They did have more pressing issues like SURVIVING, but still).

*Number in the Title: Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake
I, um, was super disappointed by this one. I wanted so badly to love it after I've loved other Kendare books before, but I didn't. It was such a missed opportunity for a girl power storyline, and I can't ignore how much I wish it'd gone in a different direction.

*Non-fiction: Quiet by Susan Cain
I borrowed this one from Val a long time ago and only just now got around to reading it because of my dislike for nonfiction. BUT I LOVED THIS! As an introvert, this read was life-affirming, a warm hug that said, "hey it's okay if you're an introvert, and it doesn't make you weak or abnormal." I've never felt more understood as a person. <3

*Standalone: The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis
Mindy has quickly become a forever fave of mine. I've loved all of her previous books (except for IAHOD, which I haven't yet read). And this one was SO good. Very dark, intense, and hard to like at times. But it asks a lot of questions about society and humanity, and what it means to be female. 

*****

Have you read any of these books yet? If so, what did you think of them?? :)