Monday, June 6, 2016

From the Den: May Edition

From the Den is a feature to showcase the books that I don't post reviews for on the blog, whether I liked them or not. I read so many books that never make it onto The Fox's Hideaway, so I wanted a feature where I could still tell y'all about them. :)

I definitely read more than these two books, but the rest will be getting their own posts eventually! I basically read BEA books and finished up the Vampire Academy series in May. :D

*****

Goldfish
*Physical ARC kindly provided by Macmillan*
 
This book was super cute! As someone who wasn't a swimmer or even a competitive athlete in school, I couldn't relate to this, but I found it very interesting. And I thought the MC's voice was hilarious, even when I didn't understand references. The story wasn't developed as much as it could've been, and I wanted more of the growing friendship between Lou and the boys. But all in all, Goldfish was a really likable story with so much humor and fun.
Rating: 3.5 Paw Prints!
 

On the Edge of Gone
*eARC kindly provided by ABRAMS Kids* via NetGalley*

This was good! I'm not a big fan of end of world books, but I enjoyed this a lot. And very much appreciated the autistic rep. Denise was a super likable character, one whom I felt so much sympathy for, because it was harder for her than most people. But she was brave, and she was smart, and she was trying. I'm glad her autism didn't stop her from going out and surviving and saving lives and doing whatever she could to help. But it didn't just go away, so it was still a big part of who she was as a person. The story also had a lot of diversity, which I was glad about. And it was filled with hope, even in the most despairing and dark moments. I wasn't sure how it would end and was pleasantly surprised by the turn of events, though also felt a little bittersweet about it because of one aspect. All in all, On the Edge of Gone was a fast-paced survival story that showed the persistence of humanity in the face of adversity and how important love and family and friendship is, even when the world is falling apart.
Rating: 4 Paw Prints!

*****

Have you read either of these books yet? If so, what did you think of them? :) Also I'm on the blog tour for Goldfish, so stop by on the 17th to read a guest post from the author! I'm so excited to share it.