Monday, August 8, 2016

Addicted Series Week: Addicted For Now

Title: Addicted For Now (Addicted, #2)
Author: Krista and Becca Ritchie
Publisher: KB Ritchie
Release Date: November 29th, 2013

From Goodreads...
He's addicted to booze. She's addicted to sex... staying sober is only half the battle.

No. More. Sex.

Those are the three words Lily Calloway fears the most. But Loren Hale is determined to be with Lily without enabling her dangerous compulsions. With their new living situation—sleeping in the same bed, for real, together—Lily has new battles. Like not jumping Lo’s bones every night. Not being consumed by sex and his body.

Loren plans to stay sober, to right all of his wrongs. So when someone threatens to expose Lily’s secret to her family and the public, he promises that he’ll do anything to protect her. But with old enemies surfacing, Lo has more at stake than his sobriety.

They will torment Lily until Lo breaks.

And his worst fear isn’t relapsing. He hears the end. He sees it. The one thing that could change everything. Just three words.

No. More. Us.



My Review!
There is something so addicting about this series. (I’m sorry, I had to). But seriously, this series is so fucking good, and I’m not even halfway to finishing it! I even started Kiss the Sky last night before I got this review down because I just couldn’t wait. And I want to FLY on through these next 7 books. But I’m going to try to slow down and savor them, especially KtS. The best part of this series, and what makes it so wonderful, are the characters. But since Addicted for Now was a continuation of Lily and Lo’s story, I’m going to focus more on them.

I loooove these two SO MUCH! Lily Calloway is so precious. She’s hard to like, ngl, but she is such a good person. But she doesn’t think herself one. She’s so insecure about herself, not very assertive, and feels deeply ashamed for her sex addiction. So much so that she will reroute parts of her life for her parents when they find out and give her stipulations or they’ll take away her money. And since Lily has no idea what she wants to do with her life, doesn’t have good grades, and is close to falling a year behind, she can’t lose that. But fuck her parents for doing this to her. For not only pushing her into such destructive habits in the first place, but never showering her with the type of affection her sisters received, especially her mother. And fuck them for not understanding her at all, and for not being supportive and kind about her addiction. She doesn’t need that type of shit in her life; she needs help. And she WANTS to curb this addiction. She has done super well already, and she’s gaining strength and confidence in herself, and she’s choosing decisions that are healthy for her. She may relapse and feel such guilt for her actions in the past, but Lily’s bravery and growth is absolutely wonderful to watch unfold. And seriously, fuck anyone who is mean to her. She deserves more than that.

It’s a good thing she has Loren Hale by her side. LO IS THE BEST. <3 He can be such an asshole, so cutting with his comments, and he can resemble the scary Jonathan Hale, but he’s SO. GOOD. He is considerate, and caring, and such a geek. And the way he loves Lily, the way he stands at her side and helps her weather through the storms, just makes me melt. But when I first read Addicted to You, I remember thinking I couldn’t believe he’d been the one to seek help first. That he would start them on this path to change, but I’m glad he did. It’s an uncertain future for the two of them, but they KNOW they want to be together. They love each other more than their addictions, and they’re determined to make their relationship better. Because they had enabled each other for SO long, it’s hard. And the two of them need more honest, open communication. They fall back into old habits at times, but they’re trying. And they understand how much better their relationship will be for all of this. And throughout this book, it gets stronger and just makes me super appreciate how the authors are writing it. It’s healthy and positive, and the passion and love between them is so honest and real. I LOVE IT!

This healthy and positive relationship is so awesome to see in books, especially in NA, where certain storylines and character types tend to reappear over and over again. And I LOVE the focus on addiction, especially sex addiction in Lily’s case. It’s not that understood, and it’s so much harder to curb it because sex is a natural part of life (unlike alcohol). And you just know that if women admit to being sex addicts, people are not going to be as understanding and they’ll judge them for it. Like they did to Lily. Whore and slut and all manner of name-calling, and even sexual assault. Lily deals with SO much, and there’s more to come, and I just hurt for her when she withdraws into herself and feels such guilt and shame for it. She shouldn’t feel that way! I love how this book makes that such an important aspect, as well as tackles the way society places such awful standards on women when it comes to sex. These books are empowering toward females, and are so feministic, and I LOVE IT. I really can’t wait for more of this! And more of this healthy and positive storyline involving therapy and a strong relationship between Lily and Lo.


I also love the secondary characters, namely Connor (my love <3), Rose, Ryke, and Daisy. THE CORE SIX. I’m always jealous of friendships like this in books, and this is no exception. The banter, the support and understanding, the honesty and realness between them all. It’s just amazing. I cannot WAIT for their books as well! And like I said, I already started Kiss the Sky, which features Rose and Connor a year into their relationship (which is super weird to me, tbh). I’m only 7% in, and I’m already dying. The sexual tension and feels are going to kill me. HOW CAN I SURVIVE THIS SERIES.



RATING: