Monday, September 5, 2016

ARC August Wrap-Up

I deeeefinitely overestimated how many books I'd be able to read for this challenge. Back in April, I hit above my goal of 15. This August, I was super under my goal of 10. I had a feeling this would happen, though, as I had just started my new job on the 3rd. My energy for doing anything after work was at an all-time low, so I really only spent my weekends reading, if it all. But I also hit a bit of a slump in the beginning of the month, and one of my all-time fave series was ending, so I spent a lot of time just rereading The Kiss of Deception and The Heart of Betrayal, as well as ending it with The Beauty of Darkness (which was fucking amazing and perfect and omg I really should write this review already before I forget everything about it). ANYWAY. So, I failed. *cries* I am overly competitive with myself when it comes to reading challenges, so I hate the fact that I didn't hit my goal. BUT I am pretty happy with the ARCs I did read. 

 What I Loved
I felt like I'd been waiting for both Game On and Bad Boy forever, and the two did NOT disappoint! Michelle was definitely not a one-hit-wonder when it came to Play On. I love that book something fierce, so I was understandably nervous when starting her second book. But I had no reason to be because I LOVED it. Maaaybe not as much as PO (but lbr, would that ever have happened??), but all the same, I will read anything this woman writes. I will also read anything Elliot ever writes. He has become one of my favorite authors, ever since I read Black Iris. I love the unflinching and honest way that he writes, and I find myself so absorbed that I hit like 60% and have no idea how I got there because didn't I just start that book?? I also finally corrected my mistake and Cam Girl is now on its way to me, and I have no doubt I'm going to love it too. And I loved The Sun is Also a Star even more than Nicola's debut. The romance happened in the space of, what, 12 hours? (It could've been longer but my poor memory does not remember). But I TOTALLY believed it and fell in love with this story. I wasn't... a big fan of that ending, but it didn't ruin anything for me. And you can bet I will read whatever Nicola writes as well.

What I Liked
So I liked A Shadow Bright and Burning, but it felt like so many fantasies I've read and loved over the years. It didn't feel unique. That was kind of sad. What was also sad was that this got dragged down by the love triangle/square/whatever, and how the author tried to turn the Chosen One/special snowflake trope around but who only managed to aggravate me throughout. I'm so tired of the stories where everyone is in love with/enamored with the MC because of it. ANNOYING. But I am, probably to future me's devastation, interested in the sequel still. And with Fear the Drowning Deep, I'm not even sure I liked it? The story was just okay, and that generally garners a 2 star rating from me. The atmosphere was quite great, but the book lacked character development, romance development, and really a plot other than what is in the water??? I'm just quite disappointed in both of these books because they'd been two I was excited about when I learned of them. But sadly I have not had much luck with 2016 releases, esp debuts, lately.

*****

I have definitely done better in this challenge, but I'm also just glad I managed to get 5 ARCs (plus a few non-ARCs) read in a month where I felt like doing nothing when I wasn't working. I'm glad too that I got a great headstart in with ARCs I brought home from BEA, because I only have two September ones left. And I'll be able to get all my October and my one November ARC read by their release dates because of this. At least, I'm hoping so. I've been reading a lot more lately, so I think I can do it! I'm basically gonna continue this challenge on my own and READ ALL THE ARCS. Haha. 

Did you participate in ARC August? What did YOU read during the challenge?! Let's talk!