Monday, October 17, 2016

A Rockstar Romance That Didn't Rock

Title: Lick (Stage Dive, #1)
Author: Kylie Scott
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release Date: October 11th, 2013!

From Goodreads...
Waking up in Vegas was never meant to be like this.

Evelyn Thomas's plans for celebrating her twenty-first birthday in Las Vegas were big. Huge. But she sure never meant to wake up on the bathroom floor with a hangover to rival the black plague, a very attractive half-naked tattooed man in her room, and a diamond on her finger large enough to scare King Kong. Now if she could just remember how it all happened.

One thing is certain, being married to one of the hottest rock stars on the planet is sure to be a wild ride.


My Review!
Okay, so let’s talk about the good in this book since I have a lot of negatives for it. I liked Lauren, the most out of everyone. Oh, and Amanda, Evelyn’s coworker and friend from high school. (But they were the only two characters that I gave a fuck about, whoops). I appreciated that the main character, Evelyn, called David out on his sexist and asshole comments. There were a few that pissed me off SO MUCH, and I’m glad they didn’t get swept under the rug. I also appreciated that David owned up to his shit. Other than being an asshole sometimes and blaming Evelyn for things, he treated her well. Mal, on the other hand. GRRR. That scene where he kissed Evelyn even when she was pushing him away, all for the sake of getting back at David, was not okay. AND NO ONE CALLED HIM OUT ON IT. Fucking seriously? Yeah, sure, it was all in good fun even though she didn’t want it. LOL @ Mal for being the joker of the group. /rage

This is not a feminist book, and Evelyn is not a feminist. You cannot pretend your book is feministic if it’s full of slut-shaming and hate on the girls who are interested in the guy. Seriously, the only girls besides the MC who were written in a positive light were the ones who weren’t attracted/going after David. And that’s the type of bullshit I can’t stand. And yes, I know that some of this bullshit was because of Evelyn’s insecurities and her shitty parents, but it’s not an excuse, and your book that tried hard to be empowering toward females did NOT need it. Also I’m SO TIRED of male love interests toted on as these sex gods, where the MC can’t possibly think of anyone who wouldn’t want to date/have sex with them (which is ridiculous even if he is a famous rockstar who is hot af). I’d say this isn’t as prominent in books I read anymore, but it’s fucking annoying when I come across it.

There were also a few comments from the main character that REALLY pissed me off.

    “I was depression’s bitch.”

    “Running on zero caffeine seemed suicidal given the stressful circumstances.”

Where are my knife emojis when I need them? This shit isn’t okay. You are HEARTBREAK’S bitch, and you should *never* joke about suicide. These comments trivialize mental illness and mock it. (The first one isn't SO bad, I think, but I still was not happy when I read it). I didn’t like the MC at all, and for much more than just these two lines. She had NO personality. And I just did not care for David at all. Nor did I care about any of the members of his band.

I’m also just not really a big fan of rockstar stories in general. There’s a reason I don’t read them. I feel like the parts in the above paragraph that I really hate are 10x worse when the love interest is in a famous band. I’m just glad that this stayed away from the party hard scene. It was actually set at a time where the band was taking a break and not sure where they were going since David wasn’t writing songs anymore. Evelyn was his muse, though, and he was able to write a whole album off their short time together. *roll eyes* I just did not feel as though their romance had enough development for me to believe in their love. And tbh, I didn’t really see what had made Evelyn a better fit for him than other girls he’s known. So I got super bored after that One Big Misunderstanding, and I wanted the book to be over. I CAN see why this series is popular, but nope, not for me. Bye.

RATING: