Tuesday, October 18, 2016

All the Cover Redesigns

Guys, I don't know about you, but I'm not always happy about cover changes. Sometimes I really love them! I especially really enjoy cover changes, or the paperbacks being redesigned, of a favorite book or series. Because if I love it a lot, I'm going to need ALL the different versions of it. Gotta build up those collections, amirite? :D But sometimes, I'm not just a huge fan of cover changes. And if a cover gets changed mid-series? omg raaaaage! I still remember how badly the Winners Trilogy one went and how Macmillan changed it to just the paperbacks because of the community's anger. I hadn't read the books, so hadn't cared too much, but I had always loved those covers and was glad Mac made it right. But lately it seems like ALL the covers of ever are being changed, and I'm not sure what to think of all this. So, I decided to compare and contrast some of the more recent changes! There were some I liked; but others, not so much.

Daughter of the Pirate King
Honestly, I'm WAY more of a fan of the blue! It makes what's not blue clearer. With the black background, it overshadows the girl. Also wtf is with that big splotch of red in the corner? Is that supposed to be blood splatter? It seems really random. It's not a bad cover change, though, just not my fave.
 
Wrath & Rose
Now, see, I don't mind the new paperback covers! The more I look at them, the more they appeal to me. And because of how much I love this series, I'm absolutely going to buy them later on. But I also really loved the paperback with the girl on it and didn't think a cover change had been necessary. I'm just super glad they kept the gorgeous hardcovers the same because those are still some of the best covers around, imo.
 
Something Strange & Deadly series

I still have no idea what to think of these new covers. On the one hand, yay they're not just more pretty dress covers? On the other hand, I really like pretty dress covers! But I do agree that these new ones fit the series just a *bit* better. I think it'll just take some time to get used to them. I think the hardcovers will stay the same, though. But I'm not sure so I'd better get the old covers just in case!

Frostblood
Okay, weirdly, I am okay with this cover change. I liked the old one, but I think the new one looks not only cleaner, but the background color looks better! Does anyone else like the change too?
 
Blood Rose Rebellion 
STOP TAKING AWAY MY BLUE COVERS, PUBLISHERS. omg what is with everyone changing the blue? Blue is lovely. Blue good. Blue is pure. LEAVE IT ALONE. I didn't mind so much when Daughter of the Pirate King's changed, but I looooved the blue in Blood Rose Rebellion and I want it back, damn it.

Goodbye Days
Now this is a cover change I get behind too. AND HEY LOOK THEY ACTUALLY KEPT THE BLUE. Anyway, it looks 100% better than the original. Good job, people.

The Thousandth Floor 
Again, this is a cover change I am okay with. I didn't mind the old one so much, but the new one fits the story so much better. It's set in a futuristic New York, and the first cover doesn't really show that.

Into the Dim
omg guys, people need to quit redesigning this one because they're making it worse! The first one, the very first ARC cover, is still my favorite of them. And I just don't understand why new covers were necessary at all??? Gah. 

*****

Are you guys happy with these cover changes? Are there any that you wish had stayed the same? Let's talk! :)