Monday, October 10, 2016

Checking In for August and September

I don't do a monthly recap on the blog, partly because I'm lazy and partly because there isn't usually much to say. But I was inspired by Jamie's If We Were Having Coffee feature (which was inspired by someone else!) to start doing more personal posts on here. And what better way to do that than to recap my month in LIFE instead of just books and blogging? So Checking In will be a monthly feature on here that will help you guys get to know ME better, and hopefully you'll start sharing your own stories with me. :)

*****

Hi, hi, it's been awhile since I've talked life you guys, yeah? Usually I keep Twitter pretty up-to-date on what's happening, but not always. So that's why I like doing these posts; I'm just very bad at writing them every month. But sometimes not a whole lot happens, or it does, but I don't wanna talk about it yet. Or, like with these past two and a half months, I've went through a few of life changes, so I figured I'd wait until the dust settled before updating you guys. So, there's a lot to share with y'all! :D

So, the last time I published one of these posts, I was just starting my job at a local college bookstore near me. I don't go to FSU, but I  was able to get in because the store is owned by Barnes and Noble. The problem is that it lasted a little over a month, and then I was out of a job. Myself and at least one other temp had no idea until the week we were leaving (for me, I only learned about it the day before my last day). They had originally said that the position ended on November 3rd. They did say that it could end sooner, but no one was straight-up honest about it. It was so disrespectful, what they did, that I was honestly glad it was ending because I was beyond pissed. And of course I hadn't been looking for a job, because I hadn't thought I needed one. (I was also rejected for the one job I had super wanted and that would have been perfect for me, so my spirits were low). Anyway! It ended the week after Labor Day, and I spent the next couple of weeks searching for a job to no avail. I thought the retail/customer service experience I had now would help, but it didn't seem to do anything. It still hasn't done much for me, which sucks.

I do have a new job now thankfully but it is SO not ideal at all. So my uncle works at a printing company in the big city, and he got me in. Four of my cousins currently work there too (well, he's in a separate building but still), which was great because wow, I wasn't expecting a warehouse. It's such a huge building, but we only work in a little area of it. But it was so overwhelming at first. I started last Wednesday and still feel so overwhelmed, but it's gotten better. I actually haven't talked to any of my cousins all that much, but I was incredibly stressed and did not feel up to socializing tbh. But I loved having them there because obviously I felt comfortable around them and it was easier to ask them questions than strangers. :D The reason it's not ideal is because it's over an hour away. I've been carpooling with my uncle, which has been nice because I love talking to him. I'm usually too tired on the way up, but on the way home it generally doesn't stay quiet in the car. But at some point, I will need to put my car on the road again, which will cost a lot of money, and add other expenses to it, and I don't think this job will work out for me in the long run. 

For now, it's good. The money is good. The work is honestly not that hard. I do a lot of packaging and doing the taping for things to get shipped out. It's assembly line style, and I've been able to keep up with the seasoned people. Pretty easy, but man I've worked out muscles that haven't had such exercise in a long time. ;) It's still a hugely different environment from anything I've known. There isn't as much structure as I would like, but the people are generally nice. And I do my jobs well. But it's still TEMPORARY. That's another reason it's not ideal for me. I would love to find something not only closer to me, but permanent. So while I'm here at the printing warehouse, I will keep looking for something better. And now I'm done talking about jobs and work. ;)

So I was done with work on Thursday, and then I went to the cabin that we rent out a couple times a year with my mom and little brother for the weekend. It's owned by friends of the family, and we definitely make sure to get there in the fall and spring. October is *usually* colder, but it was actually quite nice and I didn't have to bundle up so much while I was there. Haha. We don't stay there for very long, but I always feel well-rested and relaxed afterward. I mostly go and read and watch movies with little brother. AND THIS YEAR I went Pokemon hunting as well. aka I stayed in bed and just caught whatever showed up on my screen. Since the cabin is situated right next to a river, I didn't have to do anything and water Pokemon were all over the place. It was the best. I can't wait to go back in the spring, hopefully!

This is what the cabin looks like; my home away from home, tbh.

I definitely had to take a photo for Instagram while I was there bc obviously
(I unfortunately was not a fan of this book, nor Beast, which I read at the cabin too. SADNESS. But I did highly enjoy The Lovely Reckless).  


I also FINALLY was able to meet up with Sabrina from The Forest of Words and Pages in late September. We had meant to hangout way sooner, but it didn't happen. However, we finally did make it happen. We had to rearrange our meetup because of the effing Michigan weather, but we did eventually make our way over to Rockford so we could walk along the river. It was WONDERFUL. I met Sabrina at BEA just this past year, and I'm so glad that we live close-ish enough to get together every once in awhile.
 
one of my favorite people <3 

In the blogging world
I am coming up on my 4th blogoversary! Holy shit, guys. I'm not even sure how I'm going to celebrate it, but I feel like I've gotta do something really special, right? Whatever it is, definitely expect a bunch of posts about it. ;) In other news, I've been really slow and inconsistent with posting, and that is just going to get worse now that I'm working again, honestly. I'm going to try to get posts written on my days off, but no promises bc I can be a very lazy person. :p But I'm getting back into the swing of things with commenting and hope to get into a good routine asap. I've missed the interaction! I'm also really excited to get my first subscription box soon. It's LitCube's Beauty and the Beast-themed box. AND I CANNOT WAIT. I don't know why I put it under this section, but I'm just very impatient and excited so I had to share. I will definitely be doing an unboxing at some point!


How was the past few months for you guys? Any exciting news? Let's talk! :)