Tuesday, October 11, 2016

From the Den: September Edition

From the Den is a feature to showcase the books that I don't post reviews for on the blog, whether I liked them or not. I read so many books that never make it onto The Fox's Hideaway, so I wanted a feature where I could still tell y'all about them. :)

After I left the bookstore job in early September, I had A LOT of time on my hands so I ended up reading 18 books + a few short stories. Most of them will be posted throughout the next few months, but here's what I won't be fully reviewing!

*****

When a Scot Ties the Knot
I can totally see why people love Tessa Dare's books so much. This was FUN! And sexy. And sweet. And the characters were so lovable, even the broody, grumpy Captain MacKenzie. He sometimes aggravated me, but I loved how tender he was with Maddie. Artistic, shy Maddie who had no idea she was writing to a real person for so many years. Their romance was both hot and adorable, and I loved watching this develop from major dislike to love. I just had such a great time reading this, and I'm definitely planning on reading more of her books!
Rating: 4 Paw Prints!


Seeds of Iniquity
I liked this one, but it definitely wasn't the best in the series. And after the incredible disappointment that was The Swan & the Jackal, I was expecting something better. This story revolves around a game in the form of confessing dark secrets. Like, literally the whole book is that. It wasn't necessarily boring, but it wasn't as intriguing or as fascinating as I'd hoped it'd be (especially because the secrets didn't really get that dark). But Nora herself was an intriguing character and one that I hope will play a big role in the next book. I'm also curious to see how the dynamic of the group changes now that she's involved with them. She broke them apart, exposed things none of them had wanted to confess, and all with a smile on her face. But Seeds of Iniquity was predictable and it wasn't hard to figure out the final confession, and it felt like just a stepping stone before The Black Wolf and not a story that could stand on its own. And that ending made absolutely no sense. However, damn if I won't be reading the next book asap. So much in it is deeeefinitely problematic, and I don't agree with a whole lot, but I will gladly read more books. There is something addicting about this series, and sometimes I just love fucked up characters who live in the gray of life.
Rating: 3 Paw Prints!


The Black Wolf
This series has just been going downhill for me, and UGH. I just understand where the fuck it's going??? Like nothing makes sense. I love fucked up characters, but holy shit WHY ARE THESE PEOPLE SO RIDICULOUS. Also the writing is just subpar and the multi POVs are not working for me at all. *sigh* I don't know if I'm going to continue it. 
Rating: 2.5 Paw Prints!
 

Infinity + One 
 I really enjoyed this one, but far less than Amy’s fantasy, The Bird and the Sword. I really liked the characters, and their development was great. I was super appreciative that this didn’t turn into a MPDG story, that Finn Clyde didn’t romanticize Bonnie Rae’s near-suicide attempt. I liked how the author dealt with that, and with Bonnie’s mental health, though I wish more would have been done because she definitely has either depression or bipolar disorder (I can’t decide if she just has lows and if her baseline is that high when she’s not depressed; if it’s not her baseline, then she’s bipolar). Anyway! It was a good story, and I can completely see why people love Amy Harmon’s books so much. I just wish I’d loved this one and that it hadn’t had SO MUCH focus on the infamous Bonnie & Clyde. The romance was at least believable in such a short time period, but I couldn’t quite get with the this being a modern almost retelling of the criminal couple. But I loved the messages of second chances and compassion.
 Rating: 3.5 Paw Prints!


Romancing the Duke
These are just such fun, lovely reads with alpha males who are actually teddy bears inside and heroines who stand their ground and do what they want when said teddy bears are being self-sabotaging and overprotective. These ladies are the heart of the stories I've read; smart and strong and feministic in a time where women were hardly more than a man's property. AND I ENJOYED THIS ONE A HELL OF A LOT. Maaaaybe not as much as WASTTK, but still, such entertainment and depth to it. Also the Moranglian fandom and Ransom being knighted/taking the oath made me so happy. I need more of Tessa Dare's books stat.
Rating: 4 Paw Prints!

*****

What books did you guys read in September; were they any good? Let's talk! :)