Tuesday, November 1, 2016

The Start of NaNoWriMo

I'm going to try my hardest to do NaNo this year, but I'm not totally sure how it'll go. I work long hours 3 or 4 nights a week, and then on weekends, I normally only have time to catch up on reading and blogging. (I haven't even continued searching for a job for WEEKS). So if I'm going to do this, and try to win it by producing 50,000 words in this month, something *has* to give. And I need direction.

Which is why it took me FOREVER to choose my story for this. I had thought at first that I would start over in the WIP of last year. It's my Blood Warriors story, the one that I can't stop thinking about. I know the barest bones of it, though. And with fantasy, I'm kind of starting to realize that I *need* to build up the world FIRST. I can't just write and figure it out later. I hate leaving blanks in paragraphs because I don't know background or names. This fantasy story is a lot more detailed, but for a few others, I'm still working them out. And it causes considerable roadblocks. Plus, I lost the Word document of my NaNo Blood Warriors, and I have not been able to recover it. So that is 16,000+ words just GONE. I haven't been able to start writing it from scratch again because it makes me want to cry. I had some good stuff in that document, and I feel like if I try again, I'm saying that I'll never get it back. And I kind of refuse to believe that. 

So, what novel AM I working on for NaNo? GOOD QUESTION. Honestly, I am just going to continue working on my Rapunzel-inspired tale. It's another fantasy, and one that deeeefinitely needs a lot of world-building. But it has been the only story lately I've WANTED to write, and I'm hoping that when I send my cousin the first chapter, and she likes it, it'll give me motivation to finish the book. (I've been putting off sending her the chapter, because like what if she hates it??? Also I have issues with sharing WIPs that aren't finished. So, in reality, I don't ever do it because I never finish a book. It's a vicious cycle). I'm already 11,643 words into it, so I'm just gonna have to be careful when I add in my word counts for the day. But yeah, I hate that I'm not starting with a shiny fresh new WIP. But I REALLY love this story, and it's the only one I want to write at the moment! So, I'm doing it. WISH ME LUCK, LOVELIES. And I'm linking up to Cait's and Sky's Beautiful People feature to tell y'all about my book!
 

 Meet My Novel!
What inspired the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea?
The movie, Rapunzel, did! I wanted to write a story about a girl who had been locked in a tower. I'm not sure long I've had the idea, but it can't be more than a few years. I've only been working on it a short time.

Describe what your novel is about!

It's about two characters who are alone and broken, and a kingdom and a people in desperate need of a savior. It's about mental illness and a hero's quest, a girl who is magical but doesn't know it. It's about madness and an evil wizard who sold the King and Queen a lie and destroyed their home and took their only child away. And it's about two unlikely allies who help heal their world and each other.

What is your book’s aesthetic? Use words or photos or whatever you like!

Okay, so I don't really do aesthetics or Pinterest boarding, so I don't have photos! But if I had to pick images, they would be this: a dark, twisting forest. A tower of cold brick. A girl with long, shiny yellow hair (think Rapunzel). A kingdom shrouded in shadow. The atmosphere is just really dark and gloomy. Haha.
 
Introduce us to each of your characters!

So, the book is told in my guy, Declan's, POV. But it's really Mirana's (Mira) story. I wanted to play around with that style

Declan is angry, hurt, grieving. He's been on his own for so long, and the thing that has kept him going has been this purpose, this quest of finding Mira. Without it, he doesn't know who he is or what he wants. He's gruff, quiet, skinny as a twig, and he doesn't always know how to speak to Mira or how to get them out of terrible situations. But he's brave, and he just wants to make his grandfather proud of him.

Mira's been locked in a tower for a decade, cursed to live on her own and without ever aging. Her mind is cracked, and her memories of her past are hard to grasp. She doesn't understand the world around her, which makes her naive and too trusting, and she has an imaginary friend named Seraphina. But she is so curious about everything, and it makes her nearly fearless. And her ability to laugh at everything is infectious.

How do you prepare to write? (Outline, research, stocking up on chocolate, howling, etc.?)

I literally have no prep when writing. Sometimes I outline a little, mostly the next chapter so I have at least SOME direction. But yeah, I just write. It honestly doesn't always work for me, which is why I need to start truly outlining my fantasies. But for the contemporaries, I normally just figure things out as I go. And I don't have any rituals, but I do listen to music. It's usually randomly shuffled, but it helps to not write in utter quiet.
 
What are you most looking forward to about this novel?

I really want to explore mental illness in a fantasy setting. Mira is mentally unstable, but you only know her through Declan. I'm so looking forward to it, though I know it's going to be a tough challenge, and I want to do her justice.

List 3 things about your novel’s setting.

1. Everything is chaos. The people have gone mad, and there's terribleness everywhere. 

2. The characters spend a lot of time in the dark forest where the tower had been located, and in it they find all sorts of wonders. Even a creature that hasn't been seen for a hundred years.

3. This kingdom is filled with forests, tall mountains, and lush with rivers and fish. But it was dying, and it still is. (Setting/world-building is something I super need to work on).

What’s your character’s goal and who (or what) stands in the way?

They are trying to save their kingdom, which sounds like every generic fantasy of ever. LOL. I'm still not entirely sure who had taken over the kindom and locked Mira up, but they need to stop them, and crown Mira. But that's really Declan's goal. Mira is a different story. I'm not sure what more is her goal, other than wanting to save her kingdom, and even that is only something she grows to want as she follows Declan home. I'm not in her POV, in her mind, so I'm really learning her character as I write.

How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?

He finds hope and light and healing. He realizes that he can't continue going through life without PEOPLE, who love him and who will keep him from feeling too lonely. Mira will not be ~cured~ by the end. I refuse to go there with her character. Throughout the book, she will heal, and she will conquer some things. But what happened to her is SO BIG that it will not be forgotten by the end of this story. And she will get angry, for what was done to her. She will find her voice, and she will smile.
 
What are your book’s themes? How do you want readers to feel when the story is over?

I just want to make readers feel. I want them to feel the emotions from my characters; Declan's grief. Mira's anger. Their desperation and fears, their sadness and happiness. My book's themes are doing what is right even when it's hard or you're frightened, and learning how to let people in, and letting yourself FEEL whatever you feel. 

*****

Are you guys doing NaNoWriMo too? Hi, let's be buddies (@skizzles22) and cheer each other on throughout the month!