Tuesday, December 6, 2016

(65) Top Ten New-to-Me Authors in 2016

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's topic:  Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read For The First Time In 2016
****in no particular order****
 
1. Roshani Chokshi
I think Roshani is my favorite author discovery of this year (yes I know she was a 2016 debut-er, but shhhh). I was fortunate enough to get an eARC of A Crown of Wishes, so I've read both her books now, and I absolutely LOVE her writing. She's a word goddess/magician, and I need everything she writes. Asap.
 
2. Stephanie Garber 
I was able to snare a copy of Caraval when I went to BEA in May, and I tried to wait as long as I could to read it, but it still was so early! BUT I DON'T CARE. The book is so freaking good, ahhh. It's deserving of the hype it's receiving, and I'm so damn excited for the sequel, wherever it shall go! I NEED MORE.

3. Tessa Dare
omg Tessa is another fave discovery of 2016. I'm not a historical fiction person, even hist romance, but HER BOOOOOKS MAN. They are so fucking funny and sexy and shippy and banterific. I'm so glad I have a huge backlist to go through because I can't get enough of her books.

4. Emma Mills
While everyone was raving about her First and Then last year, I ended up reading This Adventure Ends first. And it was SO GOOD omg. 

5. Claire Legrand
I'm not an MG person, but surprisingly Claire's MG above was where I started. The portrayal of anxiety and depression through Finley's story was one of the realest and honest I've read in books. I'm so happy kids especially have this book. I hope it reaches those who need it so badly. I hope it makes them feel heard and understood and that I hope it helps those who don't know and those who do.p
 
6. Cori McCarthy
oh, my heart. This book was everything to me. The way it was written was so creative and engaging, the ship was beyond shippable, and I could relate so well to the MC and the loss she was going through. Her grief was visceral, and I felt every part of it.

7. Destiny Soria
Iron Cast was probably the biggest surprise for me this year. I loved it SO. MUCH. The beautiful friendship between the two MCs was probably my favorite part, but everything about it was so good. It's a slower-paced novel, but one that I found intriguing from the very beginning. Get it, guys!

8. Anna-Marie McLemore
I can't believe I haven't read her debut yet because I felt like I heard never-ending praise for it. And with good reason, because Anna-Marie's writing is one of a kind and so gorgeous. Reading WTMWO was like a dream, and one that I was sad about when I finished. I didn't want the story to end! I'm even more excited to read her first book now, and I'm planning to do that during the #DAReadathon in January. :D
 
9. Elizabeth May
I binge-read these books back in April, and I am full of regret because it's going to be awhile before the 3rd one is out and I NEED IT SO BADLY I CAN'T STAND IT. The Falconer was another big surprise for me, and I wasn't expecting to love it so much. But oh, how I do. This series is one of my absolute favorites! I will definitely be reading whatever Elizabeth writes next.
 
10. Traci Chee 
What a debut! So original and unique and with stories within the story. I was so entranced with this book, and I read it so fast that I'm sure I missed important things. A reread of this before the sequel comes out will be a necessity. And I have no doubt I'm going to love it a after a second time, too. So beautiful. I can't wait for more!

Honorable Mentions: Caleb Roehrig and Stacey Lee (who was on this list at first but since I STILL haven't finished Outrun the Moon yet [not because it's terrible, more because I'm still feeling a little slumpy with reading] I decided to add her to the honorable mention list instead. And Caleb's here because his book was awesome and I'd definitely read more from him the future!

*****

What authors did YOU discover for the first time this year? Did any of these lovely people make your list? Let's talk! :D