Monday, December 12, 2016

Bookish Bingo: Fall 2016 Wrap-Up

Bookish Bingo is a reading challenge hosted by Bekka over at Pretty Deadly Reviews every three months, and it is my FAVORITE. I love challenging myself to cover the whole board. I don't always succeed, but I have a hell of a lot of fun doing it.

*****

*Standalone: The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi
Since the second book is a companion novel and definitely not a sequel, I'm counting TSTQ here. And because I can't find another place for it, and I REALLY wanna share it. I loved this book so much, omg. Roshani is a word magician and I fell in love with this story.
 
*Backlist: In a Handful of Dust by Mindy McGinnis
 I enjoyed this bc MINDY MCGINNIS, but post-apocalyptic stories just aren't my thing.

*Multi POV: Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
This booooook. *sobs forever that it's over*

*Killers: Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
This was a reread in preparation for the sequel, and I'm so glad I did because it made me love and appreciate the story and its characters even more than I did. This series, man. It is brilliant.

*Suspense: Last Seen Leaving by Caleb Roehrig
I was so impressed with Caleb's debut, which was surprising to me given how much I don't care for YA suspense. That opening is one of my favorites of ANY book. I can't wait for more of his stories!
 
*Green Cover: Infinity + One by Amy Harmon
 I enjoyed this one, but definitely not as much as her fantasy. It was good, but I didn't particularly care for the fascination of the infamous Bonnie & Clyde.
 
*Revenge: Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta
Still the best book I've read all year.

*Rec'd to You: Romancing the Duke by Tessa Dare
I feel like I've been rec'd Tessa Dare FOREVER, and I *finally* started reading her books. And omg I love them so much. They're funny, sexy, banterific fluff that always makes me smile. I'm so glad I have a huge backlist to get through.
 
*Purple Cover: The Forgetting by Sharon Cameron
This book was SO GOOD. I was never quite sure what to think of it, nor sure where the story was going, but I was so invested in it. And I adored the characters a lot. 
 
*Horror or Paranormal: As I Descended by Robin Talley
Like with suspense and post-apocalyptic, horror (esp YA horror) is not totally my thing. But I liked this one a heck of a lot! It felt like Shakespeare, and it was a very weird paranormal-y book.
 
*Illustrated: A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
This book touched a deep and personal place in my heart. I haven't ugly-sobbed like this while reading in a REALLY long time. This was a special story. <3

*Friendship: Iron Cast by Destiny Soria
This friendship is one of my favorites of ever. I adored Corinne and Ada and their relationship and it surprised me how much I loved this book. I WANT A SEQUEL, DAMN IT.
 
*Retelling: Beast by Brie Spangler
This wasn't REALLY a retelling but it was inspired by Beauty and the Beast. And man, I just wish I'd loved it. It was one of my highly anticipated books, but it was such a disappointment. I've read some reviews that have made me think differently about the MC, Dylan, but I still just didn't like him. :(
 
*Black Cover: Heartless by Marissa Meyer
I really enjoyed this one, but I didn't love it as much as I'd hoped given it's a villain origin story for the infamous Queen of Hearts. But still, it was trademark Marissa Meyer!
 
*Weapon on Cover: Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta
Still just as good the first AND second time around. :D
 
*Fall Release: When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore
 THIS BOOK WAS MAGICAL. So beautiful and glorious and I loved all of the characters so much and gaaaah, just read it guys.

*Graphic Novel: Nimona by Noelle Stevenson
 I'm still not really a fan of graphic novels, but I ADORED this one, so I'd really be up for trying more (esp Monstress). It was so fun but also deep, and I loved the relationships between Nimona and Blackheart, and Goldenloin and Blackheart. Feeeeels.

*College: Breathe, Annie, Breathe by Miranda Kenneally  
It's not 100% set in college, but for the last quarter of the book, it shows Annie at her university, so I'm counting it. I ADORED this one in the series. 

 *****

FAILURE SQUARES
*Animal on Cover
*Sea Creatures
*American History
*Dragon
*Creepy Cover
*Short Story

I got *so close* to finishing this one, DAMN IT. *shakes fist at November* I got into a horrible reading slump after the election ended (and which I am still recovering from), and I just did not have the energy to try to complete the whole board. But I'm so proud of how much I DID read, and what I read. I loved the majority of these books and highly enjoyed most of the rest. I can't wait for the next bingo. :D