Wednesday, December 7, 2016

From the Den: November Edition

From the Den is a feature to showcase the books that I don't post reviews for on the blog, whether I liked them or not. I read so many books that never make it onto The Fox's Hideaway, so I wanted a feature where I could still tell y'all about them. :)

Oh man, November was a... fucking month. I fell into a hard reading slump after the election. That completely derailed me, and I was left grasping for comfort. So I reread one of my all-time favorite series, The Lumatere Chronicles, which made me feel a hell of a lot better (and now I'm missing the characters AGAIN). But that was pretty much it. However, I WAS able to finish these two books before the election stole a month of my life away.

*****

As I Descended by Robin Talley
This was certainly a page-turner, a little intense at times. And though I haven't read Macbeth, it definitely had the feel of Shakespeare. But I didn't love it, which has more to do with the type of story it was (it's not really my thing and I didn't find it be like THRILLING) and not the characters or the writing. I enjoyed the read, and I found the relationships between the many characters so complex and intriguing to watch unfold. And that ending? WOW. I can tell you that I was not expecting the direction it went or what happened. As I Descended was a fast read and something that had my attention from the first chapter.
Rating: 3.5 Paw Prints!


A Night to Surrender by Tessa Dare
 I'm basically gonna be reading a Tessa Dare novel a month. LOL. I just adore these historical romances. And this one was no exception. It was, again, a fun and sexy and heartwarming story with a teddy bear of a love interest and a feminist woman who refuses to conform to society's expectations of her. The spitfire Susanna and the stubborn Bram clashed more than once, and it made the story so banterific, and the romance so shippable. I can't wait for more in this series!
Rating: 4 Paw Prints!

*****

I hope you guys had a better month in reading I did!