Saturday, December 10, 2016

My First Subscription Box Experiences

I've always wanted to get some subscription boxes, but they ARE fairly expensive (which is fair given how many items you get), so I wasn't able to afford any before I started working at the printing company. And not many themes had really jumped out at me and made me go OMG YES I NEED THIS. Lately I've been paying close attention on Instagram when themes and hints drop, so when LitCube announced that their October box was Beauty and the Beast inspired, I HAD to get it. And when OwlCrate's November theme was Wonderland with an exclusive cover of the book inside, I knew I needed that. And while I'm happy I got them both, one was so much better than the other.

*****

LitCube unfortunately did not give me a very good impression, which I'm sad about given how much their October theme meant to me. Beauty and the Beast is one of my forever favorite things. But overall, I was not a fan of this box.

*Beauty by Caroline Lee with a letter from the author printed inside
*Metal bookmark
*Rose necklace
*Jewelry box
*Pretzel and icing

 Honestly, my favorite item in the box was the pretty metal bookmark. I do love the necklace, but I'd already had something similar from Hot Topic (though I do like this one better). I didn't mind getting a book from an indie author, I love finding gems in the self-published world! It's even cooler that this was a limited printing specifically for LitCube subscribers. And I'm excited to read it! I really want to love it, and I feel like if I do, it'll make me feel better about getting this box. (I'm only half-joking).

Because.
(idk how well you can see it, but that whole side is open, which it shouldn't be)

MY JEWELRY BOX BROKE. I'M SO UPSET. It's so pretty and it could've been a good box to use for bookish things. But IT'S NO GOOD. I didn't contact LitCube because what could they have done? These were made specifically for the box, so I didn't think they'd had extras made. And I just didn't really want to bother with it. I could probably try to glue the side back on, but I don't know how well that will work. So yeah, pretty disappointed with this one, even more so after how much I loved OwlCrate.

*****

By and large, OwlCrate is one of the best subscription boxes out there. I've always been impressed by the quality of their items and how good they are at creating a theme around a specific book. In the past, I would've loved to have gotten a few of theirs before. But so freaking happy I started with the Wonderland box, because I'm amazed at the quality of the items and how awesome they did with this theme.

I have a hard time picking my favorite item from this box, but this EXCLUSIVE cover of Heartless probably takes the top. I honestly love it more than the original cover! The white background works so much better, because it makes the colors pop. And it's just so freaking pretty. With the book, there was a letter from Marissa Meyer and a quote card that says, "Sometimes your heart is the only thing worth listening to."

I'm in love with this edition of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I FINALLY HAVE MY OWN COPY SO NO MORE EXCUSES AS TO WHY I HAVEN'T READ IT YET. I have always loved Alice and Wonderland, even though I've never read the actual story, so it's a must now. The cover and the bookmark were designed by Risa Rodil and printed by Rock Paper Books. I've eyed some of Rock Paper Books' classics for awhile now, so I'm super excited to have this one in my collection. IT IS ADORABLE. (I just bought 3 more of their editions too, and I can't wait to get them. Seriously check out their work, guys!)

The Alice button and the curiouser and curiouser bookmark from Authored Adornments were my two favorite non-book items!

There was also this super awesome tea tin and blend from Riddle's Tea Shoppe and Adagio. There were 15 bags inside, and unfortunately I was not a fan of the tea. I tried it twice, once with sugar and once without, and will not be drinking it again. But that's okay! I was already not a tea person, definitely not adventurous when it comes to tea. And I still adore this tin that it came in. #keepingitforever

Last item included: a magnet designed by the lovely Evie. Overall, like wow, Owlcrate's box was AMAZING. I'm so impressed by it. 10/10 would recommend. December's theme is EPIC, and since I'm 99% sure of the book, I won't be getting it because I didn't love it. But it sounds like an epic box, so you should check it out!

*****

This month, I'll be receiving The Bookish Box's December theme (Yule Ball). I'm both excited and nervous. I don't online shop for clothes because it's hard to determine the fit. I bought a few of their past shirts during their Black Friday sale but they haven't arrived yet so I still don't know the fit. That makes me nervous as I wait for their box to come! But I'm also excited because it's a Harry Potter theme and I think they do a super good job with their boxes. Their January theme is book to musicals, and a hint has been Hamilton, so I'm *really* thinking about buying it. BUT I'm gonna wait until I get their shirts so I know for sure what size/fit I need. I'd LOVE to someday get Fairyloot, but that's even more expensive because it's not US-based. I also think Uppercase is pretty cool. Basically, I think I'm becoming a bit addicted to these subscription boxes, and this is a bad idea ;)


Have you guys ever tried a subscription box? If so, which one and did you love it? I want opinions for future references!